Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:03:33 AM EDT
I graduate the academy in 11 days.  I need to get a watch that isnt too expensive yet durable.  Any ideas?  

Also any other products I may find helpful in everyday patrol?

I have a few items, but looking for items generally not supplied by departments, and things you personally find useful.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
casio g-shock

ed to say congrats!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Casio G Shock.  Less than $50.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#3]
you're gonna wreck it somehow, be it g-shock or titanium....so my suggestion is go with the $12 special from Target.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Use the clock radio, or put a small clock in your car somewhere.  I don't like wearing watches on duty.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Use the clock radio, or put a small clock in your car somewhere.  I don't like wearing watches on duty.

What do you use when taking a pulse and the Rhomberg?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
G-Shock
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My PD's SOP requires me to wear a watch while on duty. Timex Ironman.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Timex Ironman. They're cheap and durable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1 and sleeker
My Ironman has taken a lickenan still keeps a (they don't tick) workin
G Shock is nice.

Also get a good knife.  Put your ID on everything.......   You'll loose it but if you've plastered your ID on it You'll likely get it back.  Goes for clipboards too.
Congrats.  Are you #1 in class?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
A cheap watch, preferrably a ticker watch, not digital.  Also, a good reliable pen.  I would not suggest a Gel pen, the ink "runs" in wet environments.  I have good luck with the Zebra F-402.  As for other items, talk to your coworkers, they are the best source for what works well in your area.

Congrats and be safe!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I gave up after about 3 watches were broken during struggles with people.  

I carry my cell phone in my right front shirt pocket.  I have it in the silent mode so it doesn't ring while I'm doing building searches.  It has a clock and I have another way to communicate if I need to.  

I have it on vibrate.    

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Ironman, mine has lasted about 4 years.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Ironman, G-Shock and a Surefire G2 light as a nice to have item.  I use mine as a backup light, and have actually had to use it, Murphys Law.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:19:42 AM EDT
[#14]
How much do want to spend?  Will your agency replace a watch if it's damaged or destroyed in your duties (the agency I use to work for had a $50 or $75 reimbursement policy, I forget which amount, but you might want to find out).  Do you want something you can wear with a suit to court or out with Mrs.?  

Having said that, if you are willing to spend up to $200-$250, I would say something by Seiko.  If you want a automatic/mechanical watch, look at the Seiko "Monster"(SKX779). Can be had for $175-200 from a Seiko Factory Outlet store if you have one near you (I paid $179+tax, MSRP is $400) . Good looking very rugged watch, with either a black or orange face.  I have had very good luck with my Seiko's and I own several, both automatic and quartz movements. Also the Seiko-5 line and Pulsar(which is made by Seiko) are a good bang for the buck and less expensive.  

The link is to a a dealer that just has a good display of Seiko Divers. If you look around you can find some for less.  I don't endorse any of these dealers, just providing them for examples.  (Seiko 5's are popular overseas and a lot of different models can be ordered from Malaysia or Hong Kong or even ebay starting around $65)

Seiko Divers

Seiko-5

Pulsar  (this watch can be found for $50 with a camo strap or a brown leather strap too)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 and sleeker
G Shock is nice.

Also get a good knife.  Put your ID on everything.......   You'll loose it but if you've plastered your ID on it You'll likely get it back.  Goes for clipboards too.

#7 out of 19 as far as grades go.  The 6 Houston Fire Dept. guys who are getting their Arson investigator are ahead of me.   I did get "topgun" award during qualifications.  I will get an award for that at graduation.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Timex Ironman.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:32:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 and sleeker
G Shock is nice.

#7 out of 19 as far as grades go.  The 6 Houston Fire Dept. guys who are getting their Arson investigator are ahead of me.   I did get "topgun" award during qualifications.  I will get an award for that at graduation.  

What the hey,  you let the hose draggers beat you on grades?  
You didn't listen to the guys here,  you've been spending too much time on the I-net.  Are your boots shined enough to see yourself in them?    Better have your stuff squared for graduation.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Wore the Ironman for years which seemed to need replacing every year or so.  I now use a G-Shock with the solar charger in it, it is better then the Ironman.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
casio g-shock

ed to say congrats!

ditto
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ironman, G-Shock and a Surefire G2 light as a nice to have item.  I use mine as a backup light, and have actually had to use it, Murphys Law.

The G2 is a great light but I hate putting $10 (Wal-Mart price) worth of batteries in it for every half hour of use. I now carry a Streamlight Strion. It is rechargeable without having to take out the battery pack and lasts more than an hour, way longer than the G2. The Strion is about the same size as the G2 and both have a powerful beam for such small lights.

Edited to say congratulations on the academy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 and sleeker
G Shock is nice.

What the hey,  you let the hose draggers beat you on grades?  
You didn't listen to the guys here,  you've been spending too much time on the I-net.  Are your boots shined enough to see yourself in them?    Better have your stuff squared for graduation.  

Turns out I'm a Vollie hose dragger myself
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Consider a pocket-watch. I'm not joking. Get a decent pocket watch, attach it with some parachord and slip it into a shirt pocket or something. I'd use my cellphone instead but I have a larger phone not one of the slim ones now available. Things on my wrist get in the way of some of my gear.

I also got the Top Gun award in my academy class. Congratulations.

Figures the WaterMonkeys had the better grades, all they have time to do is study.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I got a Luminox and it is the best watch I ever bought.  I love it.  Put it in the dishwasher last week to clean it.  It is sweet. Only $130.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
casio g-shock

ed to say congrats!

No doubt, you cannot beat the G-Shocks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Luminox hands down. I've had several of the ones mentioned above and without a doubt the Luminox is a much better quality watch & will last ya way longer.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I am in the reserve academy right now(out June 10th) and most of the road guys wear the Casio G-Shock. I have one and it keeps great time and if it gets tore off during a struggle I am only out $50 bucks. JMTCW.....Trapfan
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I need to get a watch that isnt too expensive yet durable.  Any ideas?

Timex @ Wal-Mart - $30 all you need

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I started out with G-Shocks, switched to Ironmans a few years back because they were cheaper, and recently switched back to G-Shocks.  Like I said, the Timex is cheaper, but I've found they wear out much faster.  You really do get what you pay for.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Timex indiglo, you will be happy you have it at night. I prefer the old fashoned dial that tells civilian and military time, and the cheaper the better you will break it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The G2 is a great light but I hate putting $10 (Wal-Mart price) worth of batteries in it for every half hour of use. I now carry a Streamlight Strion. It is rechargeable without having to take out the battery pack and lasts more than an hour, way longer than the G2. The Strion is about the same size as the G2 and both have a powerful beam for such small lights.

If that's what you're paying for batteries then you haven't shopped on the net.  BatteryStation.com has CR123 batts for $1-1.25 a piece.  There are dealers here that have that same price.

I do prefer rechargables for duty though.  No need to worry about how charged up the battery is....you start every shift with a fully charged flashlight.  I really like the SureFire 8NX.

To Citabria:

Good belt mounted light.  Don't loan it out.  Officers who don't carry lights will try to borrow it.  Tell them to buy their own.

Get a PBT.  Very useful for a variety of uses....especially kids.

Lockout set.  Even if your department doesn't allow you to do lockouts for the public.  The tools are increadibly handy for those times that you have to get into a doper's car or a locked abandoned, stolen car.

Carry a multi bit screwdriver and a small pair of pliers.  Multi tools are ok but a regular screwdriver and pliers are great for removing stolen plates and of course fixing things that break on the partol car.

A good digital tape recorder (about $150 retail...less on ebay)Use it every time you have a potential complaint if your department doesn't back its officers.  Still handy to have running while someone is bad mouthing you and especially if you are dealing with someone who likes to sue the department at the drop of a hat, or someone who is trying to get you for any reason.  There's nothing like being called into the chief's office to answer to a complaint and whiping out that recording.

A small straight crow bar.  I use mine all the time to get into houses without damaging things too much.

Good luck!!!!

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#32]
My 2 cents:
never go cheap on equipment...you never know when it may save your life.  Buy the best you can afford...you'll get what you pay for.  you don't take short cuts on training, so don't take 'em on cheap gear.
watches:
Suunto or Casio G-Shock
flashlights...always a surefire!
you can get a box of 12 batteries for $21 (& a 25% discount for LE/Military) from Surefire, or about the same price at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop.
Just my opinion...hope it helps.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My 2 cents:
never go cheap on equipment...you never know when it may save your life.  Buy the best you can afford...you'll get what you pay for.  you don't take short cuts on training, so don't take 'em on cheap gear.

Agreed 100%.....for the most part.  Except for things that you are going to break easily or lose/misplace such as pens.  How is an expensive watch going to save you?  My vote is for a cheaper timex or similar.  I have had my Ironman for a while.  It's my second on in 9 years and I wear it most f the time off duty as well.  I've replaced the band  a year ago but that only costs 4 or 5 bucks.  Also consider one with an alarm.  It saves setting a clock alarm and waking the wife.  

Buy the cheap watch and save up for the SureFire flashlight ( I highly reccommend) or nice backup gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#34]
The best watch I ever had was the Freestyle Tigershark.  Freestyle makes watches geared for surfers but they mostly just look like normal watches.  The Tigershark model is made out of steel and the lens is set very deep into it so you can't scratch it.  Plus it is water proof to 500 feet which is a hell of a lot farther down then I'm ever gonna go but at least you know it's fine to take in the water.  I like it a lot more than the G-shoks because they're way too damn big.  That and this thing lasted way longer than any G-shock I've had, too bad some dirtbag stole it   Cost about $70
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a cop not a medic.  If I am doing anything with a 'pulse' it is "checking" for one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a cop not a medic.  If I am doing anything with a 'pulse' it is "checking" for one.

He is referring to me because I do both.   I havent had to take a pulse using a watch, bp cuff, and steth in along time.........well since emt school really.  we use machines now to do all that jazz
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's what you're paying for batteries then you haven't shopped on the net.  BatteryStation.com has CR123 batts for $1-1.25 a piece.  There are dealers here that have that same price.

I do prefer rechargables for duty though.  No need to worry about how charged up the battery is....you start every shift with a fully charged flashlight.  I really like the SureFire 8NX.

To Citabria:

Good belt mounted light.  Don't loan it out.  Officers who don't carry lights will try to borrow it.  Tell them to buy their own.

Get a PBT.  Very useful for a variety of uses....especially kids.

Lockout set.  Even if your department doesn't allow you to do lockouts for the public.  The tools are increadibly handy for those times that you have to get into a doper's car or a locked abandoned, stolen car.

Carry a multi bit screwdriver and a small pair of pliers.  Multi tools are ok but a regular screwdriver and pliers are great for removing stolen plates and of course fixing things that break on the partol car.

A good digital tape recorder (about $150 retail...less on ebay)Use it every time you have a potential complaint if your department doesn't back its officers.  Still handy to have running while someone is bad mouthing you and especially if you are dealing with someone who likes to sue the department at the drop of a hat, or someone who is trying to get you for any reason.  There's nothing like being called into the chief's office to answer to a complaint and whiping out that recording.

A small straight crow bar.  I use mine all the time to get into houses without damaging things too much.

Good luck!!!!

Very good advise ColtRifle!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I've had two G-shocks in my life...I only bought the second one because the first was starting to look a bit less fashionable.  1st one still runs like a champ.  It's taking a lot of abuse too...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I agree with the idea of paying for quality equipment. In everything except watches. Over 23 years everytime I had a a nice watch, it got lost or ruined.

Now I buy the cheapest one I can find that has the features I want, like backlight, stop watch etc. I always get plastic watch bands also. They are much easier to clean and disinfect when (not if) you get blood all over it.

Just my opinion of course...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I go on Ebay, select men's watches and then auctions ending in 1 hr.  I find one I like that's got the functions I want and low bid.  I've gotten them for $5 plus a few $ shipping.  They always last over a year, often more, and if I break it, no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got a Casio MTD 1010 - looks like a Rollie Submariner but more reasonably priced.

200m H2O resistant and a calendar function. And only about $35.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#42]
My vote goes to the G-Shock.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I wear the cheapest watch that has a stopwatch, date, light and military time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I've worn a Tag every day for about 10 years. It has taken everything that's been thrown at it without a whimper.

Pre Tag was a series of Ironmans...probably the best "disposable" watch ever made.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#45]
G-shock or Ironman.  30 to 35 bucks, you can get replacement bands cheap, and they last several years.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Consider a pocket-watch. I'm not joking. Get a decent pocket watch, attach it with some parachord and slip it into a shirt pocket or something. I'd use my cellphone instead but I have a larger phone not one of the slim ones now available. Things on my wrist get in the way of some of my gear.

I also got the Top Gun award in my academy class. Congratulations.

Figures the WaterMonkeys had the better grades, all they have time to do is study.

You forgot, eat, sleep, lift weights, and watch TV.  Last night while they were having the dispatcher ask the patrol officer if he was seeing a real fire, or just smoke, the flames were getting higher and two patrol officers were pulling people out of the house.  Not all made it out unfortunately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top