Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 6:55:13 PM EDT
I work for an agency in CA with just under 2K sworn.  Our invesitgator (detective) selection process is competetive and consists of:

1-Points based on seniority/education/military time,
2-Multiple choice test
3-Written essay test
4-Interview panel

I am currently preparing for the last step, which is an oral interview in front of a panel of 3 lieutenants.  If you've gone through this type of interview before, please provide me with sample questions (other than "What have you done to prepare blah blah?"), or tips for success.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been through three of these so far and you count on the standard questions:

Why did you apply for this position?
What makes you a better candidate than the others who have applied?-or-Why should you be promoted to this position ahead of the other candidates?
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?

There are several variations based upon the specific position that you applied for (Homocide,Vice,etc.).  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You hit the first question!!

Ask about why they want the job..

Scenario questions...... base them on the areas they are likely to investigate. We always have at least three.

Search and seizure questions. SW, auto search, recent court rulings, and policy

And that is about it.....since every state and dept is different not each question will apply

BTW, we only do a file review and an oral board. Some areas require a packet submission to make sure they have experience with telephonics, T3, interviews, case prep and surveillance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top