Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 9:43:16 PM EDT
Probably a story here of some sort, but still inexcusable.  FWIW, county officers generally carry SIG P228’s, though I have no idea what was used here.

www.nbc4.com/news/6417499/detail.html

Fairfax Co. Officer Accidentally Shoots, Kills Man
Police: Investigators Serving Warrant When Officer's Gun Discharged
POSTED: 11:57 pm EST January 24, 2006
UPDATED: 12:08 am EST January 26, 2006

FAIRFAX, Va. -- Police officials in Fairfax County say one of their officers accidentally shot and killed a man late Tuesday night in the 11600 block of Cavalier Landing Court in Fairfax.

A police spokesman said a tactical officer was taking part in an investigation inside a sport utility vehicle when the shooting happened.

Fairfax police said the gunshot, fired from a Fairfax County SWAT team officer, was unintentional.

One man, who asked not to be identified, grabbed his camera, which he sometimes uses for photography work, and took pictures to show the intensity after the first moments of the incident.

"Everything seemed to go down pretty quickly after the yelling and a shot was fired," said the man. "It sounded like something seriously was the matter and going wrong."

At about 9:35 p.m. Tuesday night, police were serving a search warrant in an investigation of an illegal gambling operation. The target of the investigation, Salvatore Culosi, 37, was outside the residence as members of the tactical unit approached, police said. One officer's handgun unintentionally discharged.

The bullet hit Culosi in the upper body. Police said he received immediate medical care and was transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital where he later died.

"On behalf of the Fairfax County Police Department and myself, I wish to express our condolences and sincere sympathy to Mr. Culosi's family and friends," said Fairfax Police Chief David M. Rohrer in a statement issued Wednesday. "We also acknowledge and accept that we have a responsibility to Mr. Culosi's family, to the community and to our officers to conduct a comprehensive, balanced and fair investigation, and we are committed to performing that responsibility. I pledge that we will fully review, as always, our policies, practices, and this operation in detail."

Rohrer said the officer, a 17-year veteran of the department and 7-year member of the tactical unit, is on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Very disturbing. Negligent homicide anyone?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
God I hope that there is more to the story
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Naaa.... he is part of the camp of the elites now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is BOTS, it's not our house, so we should play by the home rules

I was serious though. What he did was negligent and someone died. Very sad all around.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:51:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Now that department has to kiss ass to some scum bag's surviving family.

Of course they'll sue and the county will PAY THE CRIME FAMILY!   Sad and Ironic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, look.   GDers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sad, but yah you are right.

Seems to be a lot of info left out of the artical though too I know I got some questions that probably won't be answered.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Ooops.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#11]
absolute shame.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Probably a story here of some sort, but still inexcusable.  FWIW, county officers generally carry SIG P228’s, though I have no idea what was used here.

Read about this in today's Washington comPost.  Last time I checked the FFX PD carried Sig 226's and the FFX Sheriff's department carried Glock 22's.  Do some carry 228's?  Oh well, not important, but firearms don't just accidentally go off.  There's got to be more to the story.  I feel sorry for all involved.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go somewhere else Asshole.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...  Last time I checked the FFX PD carried Sig 226's ...

I thought they had gone to P228’s.  But you’re not the first person to tell me they actually carry P226’s.  And I’ve never paid that much attention.

Maybe I’m thinking of VA State PD.

Still, P228’s don’t make a lot of sense for any uniformed officers - maybe I’m just plain and simply wrong.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Gotta be a reflex action that a finger off of the trigger may have prevented. Fucking 17 years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#18]
SWAT was serving a search warrant for gambling (bookie).  Gun discharged.
SWAT carries .45

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/26/AR2006012602136.html

Does not appear to be listed in the Washington Times
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I dont know. I'm just a building contractor with no combat experience.But with a name like combat_ jack you must be a seasoned vet, seen a lot of shit in your day. I'm interested to know your take on this thing. Ever seen anything like this in battle?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know. I'm just a building contractor with no combat experience.But with a name like combat_ jack you must be a seasoned vet, seen a lot of shit in your day. I'm interested to know your take on this thing. Ever seen anything like this in battle?

Lol, I'm not a veteran, just a punk kid who lost a bet.

I do know a lot about shooting though, and I know the penalties that people face in the real world for NDs, and its harsh.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Gotta be a reflex action that a finger off of the trigger may have prevented.

Yep, startled and pulled the trigger.

Or sympathetic muscle response. Holding gun in strong hand with finger on trigger.  grasped something in weak hand (suspect, door handle, OC spray, taser) and Boom! thats why we train that you reholstrer before deploying another tool/weapon. Two fisted technigues are dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Gotta be a reflex action that a finger off of the trigger may have prevented. Fucking 17 years.

Likely.  Bad situation all around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top