Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:31:52 PM EDT
I went on a ride along Saturday night 12/31 on the mid shift at my local PD.  Not 5 minutes into briefing dispatch comes on and says a 10-99 vehicle report from onstar currently on street XXX (1/2 mile away).  Every one tears out of the station (Mid Shift + Swing Shift (they overlap) + a handful of DWI overtime Officers)  
The area in question qucikly becomes saturated with Officers.  Mildly frustating as Onstar update every 30 seconds.  So the Onstar person updates dispatcher who updates officers, but it is a touch too late.  This truck (newer GMC ext cab) is driving like a bat out of hell.  Truck thinks he lost Officers in resendtial area and is now on lone of the main roads driving fast but not nearly as fast as he was.  Turning into another resdential area and spots a cop coming up from behind.  Changes direction and blows the light out on to the flood control dikes.  Driving 70+ on an area where 25 makes my teeth chatter.  Well he ends up in an area where he can get boxed in.  They (four) ditch the truck and bail.
This is Fairbanks, Alaska, it is -10 and they are running into knee deep snow.  We come up seconds after they bailed (second car in pursuit) and can smell the marijuana 30 feet before we hit the car.  
Two of the occupants are quickly caught (driver and one passenger).  Fortunatley there are 2 K9's on sceene within minutes (first officer in pursuit was a K9).  Within about 10 minutes they had found them.
After it was all sorted out the uncovered that these kids (14-17) had broken into a house and partied.  They then stole the truck from the garage.  They had trashed the house.  Ended up finding drugs and scales.

Total charges went something like  Vehicle Theft, MICS, Home Invasion, Felony Elude

Truck was recovered in what looked like undamaged condition (will need air freshner for some time)

Without Onstar I would have to believe that this would not have been the case.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Onstar sucks azz, nothing like somebody knowing where you are every second of the day.

But then again, some people like big brother watching them & knowing where they are ever second of the day.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The one I hate is when OnStar calls and requests Officers respond to some address for unknown emergency. When we get there it's a vehicle parked in the garage or on the street, unoccupied. The kids or someone pushed the emergency or call button and the OnStar operator doesn't get a responce.

Wild Goose chase anyone?

Oh well, I guess being tracked is cool as long as your into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not thrilled with them. I am a Deputy Sheriff, I had a court order from a civil judge to seize a Chevy truck.Truck could be in any of six counties-Home,main office,branch offices,so I call onstar for help in locating the truck.Onstar doesn't help with any civil recoveries.Even with a court order...only if vehicle was used in a crime..Gee Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not thrilled with them. I am a Deputy Sheriff, I had a court order from a civil judge to seize a Chevy truck.Truck could be in any of six counties-Home,main office,branch offices,so I call onstar for help in locating the truck.Onstar doesn't help with any civil recoveries.Even with a court order...only if vehicle was used in a crime..Gee Thanks

What assholes
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite Onstar story. About a year ago we got an onstar call of airbag deployment on a dead end street. I was just around the corner. I get there and the the drunk driver, of his momma's 1 month old Monte Carlo,  rear ended his drunk buddy after the buddy ran into the side of the side of a parking structure. All were ok even the passenger of vehicle #1who had warrants. LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top