Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 8:15:49 AM EDT
or is it just possession while you're doing them?

Also is there a statute of limitations on this?

Fairfax County is hiring, just want to know if stupid college crap (3.5 years ago) is gonna be a factor
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The real issue is going to be that you did drugs, not the technicalities of what specific law you broke.  You're not gonna get arrested for doing drugs 3.5 years ago in college, but you are going to have to convince the department that you are no longer at risk for using them.  One of the issues with LE applicants and drug use is the concern that people who used drugs before might be tempted to use them again after being put in the high-stress LE environment.  If it was just marijuana use, nobody really cares as long as you are honest about it.  Other  drugs, well it depends on the department and the circumstances.  Your best bet is to just be honest, especially since they are probably going to polygraph you anyway.  If they won't hire you, keep trying- someone might eventually, especially as more time goes by.  A good, solid work history since the drug use with no substance abuse problems will probably help a lot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
sweet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
the real ? is what drug did you do, how often, and how much of them.  Just be honest with them and tell the truth, that goes a long way.

Best of luck
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
A "youthful experimentation while in the company of friends" is one thing...

Tying off and shooting up by yourself is another.

Just be honest & be clean now.

And DON'T be like my buddy and reply to the question "Have you ever used illegal drugs" with

"Hell, I've done just about everything short of shooting smack!"

(Board)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i hear you all. and thanks.  BUT is 'doing drugs' a crime.  Just want to know now!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i hear you all. and thanks.  BUT is 'doing drugs' a crime.  Just want to know now!

If you are doing drugs you are abviously holding those drugs.  If you are holdings drugs you are obviously in possession of those drugs.  So yes its a crime.

Unless its coke lines you arent holding the drugs, but if you were doing coke lines 3.5 years ago your screwed anyways.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a rarely prosecuted crime.  On the selection boards and polygraph they are more interested in your honesty than your past.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
is doing drugs a crime?  simple question.

ETA: my worry about the hiring effect is no longer.  just a question now to satisfy my curiosity.

ETA2: you're telling me no cops have done coke?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ETA: my worry about the hiring effect is no longer.  just a question now to satisfy my curiosity.

IF YOU WERE DOING DRUGS, YOU WERE THEREFORE IN POSESSION OF THOSE DRUGS, SO YES DOING DRUGS IS ILLEGAL
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Amazing as it may seem, There are multitudes of people out there that have never so much as lipped a joint.Heck, I can point out just as many that have never tasted alcohol.

Cocaine use of any amount at any time is a permanent disqualifier in every dept I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF YOU WERE DOING DRUGS, YOU WERE THEREFORE IN POSESSION OF THOSE DRUGS, SO YES DOING DRUGS IS ILLEGAL

haven't answered teh question......  is there a charge 'doing drugs'...........
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no charge called "doing drugs".  Sounds like you are asking if there is drugs in your system, can you be arrested....the answer is depends on situation.  If you are driving under the influence of drugs, you can be charged with DUI.  If you pop positive on a drug test at a job or while applying for a job, you won't be charged with no crime....just won't get the job.  Just be honest on the job application.  If you used any drugs harder than marijuana, be prepared to be grilled about it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll keep everyone updated.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm curious about this...

I know your supposed to be honest and everything, but when I was 17 I was fired for stealling money.

I haven't, however, done any illegal drugs, ever.

Is that looked upon about the same or would that be worse?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Theft will be frowned upon more than casual drug use. Theft  is a crime of "moral turptitude" which usually means no chance.
You may  have done something stupid when you were young. It may hurt you.
I try to stress this to young people I deal with.
Your actions follow you through life.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Arizona Revised Statute 13-3405. Possession, use, production, sale or transportation of marijuana; classification

A. A person shall not knowingly:

1. Possess or use marijuana.

B. A person who violates:

1. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section involving an amount of marijuana not possessed for sale having a weight of less than two pounds is guilty of a class 6 felony.

So yes, in Arizona the use of marijuana is a felony.  Same thing applies for dangerous drugs (meth, coke) perscription drugs, peyote and just about anything else.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Theft will be frowned upon more than casual drug use. Theft  is a crime of "moral turptitude" which usually means no chance.
You may  have done something stupid when you were young. It may hurt you.
I try to stress this to young people I deal with.
Your actions follow you through life.

Thats what I figured
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow.  that's pretty clear cut right there!

I always thought there was room for people who've kinda 'turned their lives around' in the LE community.....  
I would've thought drug use would be more severe than teenaged theft....

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#20]
You know whats kinda fucked up though. Been doing the MP thing in Germany. Came home to find out my slightly younger sis was smoking pot. Damn, wall to wall counseling has never sounded so good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top