Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 1:23:37 PM EDT
What's the policy at y'all's agencies about dispatchers who can't talk?
At my old dept. in MS, the policy was that if a dispatcher couldn't talk, then he/she was sent home with pay, even if he/she had no sick days left.
Here in wonderful NOLA, we have one working spec. 2 right now who flat cannot talk.  Units have to ask her to repeat transmission four or five times, and occasionally more, because she can barely croak anything out.  And the command desk apparently doesn't have a problem with this.

What about y'all; this type of thing happen there?  (This is by no means the first time I've dealt with it here, but this is one of the worst cases I've heard.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats not right, she needs to be sent home, no matter what, that is definitely sacrificing the safety of the community.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Scotchy!

We've got a few here in the City that are barely intelligible on a good day... but that's more of a pronunciation and enunciation thing than d/t illness.

They've sent them home before if they're mute d/t flu/laryngitis.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably get you phone duty/no radio.  Don't think that would fly here.

Then again, I hear we have such a problem with sick leave the sups would probably be so happy they didn't bang in that they would let them work what they wanted.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top