Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/3/2005 12:31:43 PM EDT
2 Sept 05

"Must emphasize that following is for serious  operators only.   Amateurs
need not apply.

Gary Jackson from  Blackwater called today asking for help in recruiting
security personnel to  work in New Orleans. He needs 200 operators right away.

Pay is $200.00/day, plus expenses.  Transportation, per diem,   lodging, and
necessary equipment provided.  No time to train.   You  need to be good to go
when your feet hit the ground.  It is a  14-day gig,  which will probably be
extended.  Operators are to  provide security for museums, critical
infrastructure, and  convoys.

Gary emphasized this is no job for amateurs.  He needs  'gun people'  who
know how to 'operate effectively.'

For those  interested, Gary's contact number at Blackwater is: 252 435 2488,
ext  324."

I've heard they increased the pay since this was posted. I called the number and left a message. I would like to go if they will take me. I've been out for 5 years now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like they're not the only ones looking :

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=385935
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
2 Sept 05

Pay is $200.00/day

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Well they called me back. They provide "ALL" your equipment, clothing, body aromor, pistol and carbine. The pay has been upped to $250 a day.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well they called me back. They provide "ALL" your equipment, clothing, body aromor, pistol and carbine. The pay has been upped to $250 a day.

That other company is paying $400 a day. Wonder if BW providing all the gear offsets the difference in salary ???
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
What are the minimum requirements?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Now that the 82nd has arrived in NO, I'm sure there are some LEOs that quit that would be happy to enlist.  They'd be familiar with the territory, although one might have some concern if they're covering you 6.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#11]
You will be covered under their liabaility protection. I made it through the prescreen. Waiting to hear back from them. I hope since I've been out for so long it does not hold me back. You get 6 set's of uniforms.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
$250/day?

Edited to add - and the provide all the equipment? Who indemnify's you if you're involved in a shooting? Who pays for my plane tix if I have to appear at court at a later date?

You won't be arresting people. You are there to provide security for infastructure, convoys and possibly some VIP detail.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Tag.  Even though 250 is a little on the low side.  They need to up the scale.

But I do have 3 -4 weeks of vacation time accured..  May have to take a little time off of work.

Please update if anyone has talked to them yet.

- Go

ETA:  Well I left a message.  Hopefully I have the background for what they are looking for.  I would love to do what I can to help.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I would go if I were single.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Well that didn't take long.  They asked me to start today.  Think I may take a day or to decide.

lol

Anyone else considering this?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Specifically what background are they looking for?  I'm interested with a ton of vacation, comp time and sick leave accrued.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Specifically what background are they looking for?  I'm interested with a ton of vacation, comp time and sick leave accrued.

LEO's and military.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I figured that part.......I meant specific law enforcement qualifications.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Even though the pay is shitty it sounds like good stuff to put on your resume.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Might give them a call & see if they could use a retired USAF Sky Cop who's a volley FF/EMT-B, but has a beer gut & needs to drop 50 pounds
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm on 6 hour deployment notice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Anybody know about the gear issued. They will supply a Glock & 870 along with ammo, but I was wondering about gear/camelback & such. It's not comfortable to rely on somebody else to provide gear at ground zero givin you little chance to customize it & get comfortable with it.

Just wish they provided AR's instead of 870's
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Shrike, you called and they put you on the list?  I'm trying to find another guy from our tactical team to call and go with me, so at least we can buddy up and I know I can count on someone for sure covering my ass.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd be finding myself an AR with a light and a bunch of mags.  I would NOT go into that shithole with only a shotgun and a pistol.  Shotgun vs. 'sniper' with a 30-30 or 30-06 = you lose.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Shrike, you called and they put you on the list?  I'm trying to find another guy from our tactical team to call and go with me, so at least we can buddy up and I know I can count on someone for sure covering my ass.

Yep, called & passed the initial screening & said I should hear from them tomorrow or the next day.

Another guy from the VFD also passed initial screening & is on the list as well. Asked about going as a team & was told no problem so that's way better having somebody ya know to watch you're 6.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, I wish I could find a willing participant on my team to go.  Here, I thought it was because they had no vacation left, now I'm starting to think it's me.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm on the list as well. There was a mention of carbines being issued.  If its only an 870 and I can't bring my own then its a no go.  No way I'm going into that situation with out a rifle.

Not to mention there needs to be a lot more information provided.

We'll see how tomorrow goes.

- Go
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:08:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm on the list as well. There was a mention of carbines being issued.  If its only an 870 and I can't bring my own then its a no go.  No way I'm going into that situation with out a rifle.

Not to mention there needs to be a lot more information provided.

We'll see how tomorrow goes.

- Go

I was told the issued weapons were a Glock & shotgun & forgot to ask about the avaibility of an issued rifle/AR. I'd feel way more comfortable having a AR15/M4 weapon but a shotgun with slugs can do lots of dammage to goblins.

They told me you could bring you're personal weapons if you wanted, but if you did then you needed to supply all you're own ammo & resupply could be a mother humper if ya was to run low.

Another point was that you would not be returning with the clothes you take as they would not be deconed but destroyed. Thus they were issuing everything but socks & skivvies.

I need to ask about other gear as I'd take a Strider blade & other stuff but not knowing exactly what's going on leaves lots to be desired. Hopefully the next phonecall will have better intel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:25:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm working on a list of questions to ask, anybody have any good questions that should be asked.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm working on a list of questions to ask, anybody have any good questions that should be asked.

What kind of coverage do I have if I have to use deadly force.

What kind of insurance do I have if I get killed.

I would start with those tw questions.  Gear is nice and all but when it all comes down to it I can all the gear in the world but If I'm not covered using it then I don't want it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I went through the prescreen interview yesterday and have not heard back from them. They took down all my size info for uniforms and armor. She told me they would call me.

Should I call them back?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd wait a while.. They will call.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'd wait a while.. They will call.

Yep, same here.

Will do some pre deployment shopping for disposable razors & such, but I'm not taking much of anything & everything will be disposable except for a few items just in case.

Plan on taking 1 small bag, fixed blade knife, pocket knife, Sure fire light & a camera, otherwise not much
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmmmm.... $250 versus $400 a day?

Thanks for trying to screw me!

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I called, and found two other guys on my team that are interested and called - one retired, the other active on the team with me.  Gave our information, and our background.  They told us they would "pass it on to match it up with the contracts".  So, I'll wait and see.  Didn't ask for any sizing information, but I called just before 1600 EST.  I'm assuming they'll call back.  Any questions I ask and get answered when I talk to them again, I'll pass on here.  

Thanks for trying to screw me

I went with Blackwater because I'm a little more familiar with them, and they started out with only a two week commitment - the Florida place, I thought was like a 6 month commitment.  I still work full time, so using up my vacation at a max of a month would do me just fine.

Hope to see some of you down there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Im going to call in the morning and see whats up.Im very interested.I was looking at who to call to offer my assistance too,but was unsure who to contact other than FEMA.
Was looking at going back into LEO anyway.Might be something different and interesting to try for a change.
Anyone heard mention of long term career ops with BW?
From what Ive seen in the news today most everything has calmed down considerably and the forces on the ground seem to be doing a excellent job.
Worrying about sending rounds down range or taking rounds does not look to me to be a needed concern of priority.Should think more in the line of catching something from the contamination and filth in the area.Looks like the skeeters are cranking up.
I'd say a good pair of  waders might be a good idea and some good bug spray.I think I'd rather have those than a vest.
Ive still got all my SWAT gear,including helmet,that I purchased personally(I dont like issued/used items) so Ive got that covered.
I would rather take my own weapons if possible.I trust my stuff but not confident in issued items unless I can get some range time in.And it does not sound like thats gona happen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#39]
$250 vs. $400

$250 is what they pay you.  $400 or more is what they bill the client.  

I wouldn't mind doing it but get real on the dollar amount. $250  is a bit low considering I can make that at home, am covered by state attorney general for liability and lawsuits, I sleep in my own bed and generally am not covered in filth and surrounded by poisonous snakes and alligators.  

Not to mention $250 a day is most likely not an 8 hour day.  Think twice before you commit.  If you just want to help and you're retired then it's not a bad gig.

My .02 worth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Think twice before you commit.  If you just want to help and you're retired then it's not a bad gig.

My .02 worth.

Or for us retired/prior service military guys with the knowledge but not the badge the other company wants.

Not to mention Blackwaters reputation, no other company has that going for them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Im going to call in the morning and see whats up.Im very interested.I was looking at who to call to offer my assistance too,but was unsure who to contact other than FEMA.

Call now & just plug in the extension, phone line should be open
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm certainly not out of shape, but I could probably be in better shape. And I don't have any tactical training (other than our Active Shooter Response). Any better word on what their looking for?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:59:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Just wondering if anyone has received their 2nd phone call yet.

Sitrep please!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Not yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thanks for trying to screw me!

The difference in price, is Blackwater supplies EVERYTHING where the other company wants you to bring your own personal gear and weapons.  If they cant supply the weapons that sounds fishy to me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Not yet.

Same same
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#47]
ok So I have a list of 28 questions to ask so far.  Anyone made a list yet?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I know of a group that is going down in an Exec. Protection capacity.  All are current LEO's and guarding news crews.    $75.00/hr.,+ expenses, perdium.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Looks like the "Today" Show/ Harry Conick Jr. hired out BW I saw some guys in the background this moning, they had M-4 type carbines.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I volunteered to go to NO, but my administration shot it down for "insurance" purposes. However, I have been tasked with working security at the evacuee shelter at Kelly USA. I'm making almost double what BW is offering.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top