Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 1:47:13 AM EDT
Lets say you are a Parole Officer and FA instructor for an agency. You become awhare the top dog has apparently gotten drunk off duty and had his duty weapon (personally owned) stolen out of his overnight bag. He files a police report stating the the gun was stolen with a local agency. This info does get back to our Sheriff. Now here is the rub it appears he was drunk enough that he dosn't know what happened to his weapon and it was the only thing missing from the bag, wallet and badge were still in it.  This appears to me to be filing a false report along with the loss of the weapon. Do you just suck it up or report the missing facts ?

I have kept my mouth shut about allot in the past 18 years this one just rubs me wrong way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]
All you can do is relate facts, not opinion or guesses.    If it was his personally owned weapon what's the issue?   If he was negligent with a dept owned weapon that would be something different.   The facts are it was his gun and now it's gone.    Whether or not he was a drunk is irrelevant as long as there's no misconduct regarding the weapon ( he didnt brandish then need to ditch it)   Maybe I'm not reading into this enough
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Too much conjecture to make a stand on this one....."you become aware...." I agree with Mr45Auto on this one....

Gary
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Guns and alcohol don't mix.   That being said, how do you know that someone didn't take the guys gun?
Do you have an axe to grind with this guy?
What's the missing fact?   The guy is missing a gun out of his overnight bag...    If he took the overnight bag to the bar and laid it on the bar and someone took his gun now that would be over the top.

I'm sure he's taking a lot of crap for this one.  

I'm not following the part about false police report.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses, no I don't have an axe to grind and Gutshot the incident was closer to setting the bag on the bar than I want to go into, different but close. In the end I am disappointed in this person for not reporting the truth to his superior and his filing a report the gun was stolen when he does not know what happened to it. I  work with nothing but convicted sex offenders all day and to get up and go to work every day I have to believe in something and part of that is believing in the people I work with. So those that responded gave me the answer I wanted. In the end he lost or had stolen his own weapon on his own time.  It still suprises me this incident has bothered me as much as it has. Thanks again for helping me work through this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:05:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps this incident will give the individual the "push" he needs to change his behavior regarding alcohol?  Who knows?  Maybe some good will come out of this.  I am an eternal optimist!  Your reaction is quite common btw.  You have come to expect those you come into proffessional contact with to lie.  In fact, you expect them too.  You place trust in those you work with because they are the only ones in your world that you can.  When they break that trust you are hurt.  Quite an expected reaction if you ask me.  

In the end, people are people.  Some will rise to the challange under crisis, while others will take a different path.  A badge does not necessarily dictate which direction a person will go as much as we all would it hope.  I remember a phrase used during the SALT talks between the US and the USSR...."Trust thru Verification" Rather oxymoronic if you think about it but I have lived my life by it as an adult.

Stay Safe,

Gary
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a lot of times when we take theft of property reports when there is actually no proof that someone stole it. It's done more of a courtesy and giving the citizen the benefit of the doubt. While I can't condone the officer getting drunk AND possessing a weapon (no matter what it was kept in) I also don't see what harm it does to give him the same benefit of the doubt we'd give a civy. Of course, there's very little information available to make a firm decision on this either way.

He had the gun in the bag, he had the bag in an area where it's theft / loss was possible, the gun is now missing and he didn't "misplace it".

While I hate to quote ....

"... when you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

(Before anybody brings up that this quote was used in a Star Trek movie, please don't)
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like most theft reports I've seen. "I last saw it here, now it's not there, last place I remember it was (there). I don't know who took it or when. It had to be taken between X time/date."
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

"... when you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Didnt Spock say this?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:26:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didnt Spock say this?

Nah....I think it was Lt. Data....  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top