Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 3:58:22 PM EDT
We had one guy who was a SO reserve (basically worked crowd control at ballgames and such) went throught the academy, came to work at my department full-time. He worked two shifts and never showed up again.

ETA: I started in an academy class of around 135, only 93 graduated.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We had one guy who was a SO reserve (basically worked crowd control at ballgames and such) went throught the academy, came to work at my department full-time. He worked two shifts and never showed up again.

Many get fired the first day of the academy for showing up with suspended plates and/ or no proof of auto insurance.  That would be as quick as you could get.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many get fired the first day of the academy for showing up with suspended plates and/ or no proof of auto insurance.  That would be as quick as you could get.

Seen many quit withen minutes on the first day of the academy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
In the field, not even completed the first shift.  They might get sent into the housing projects on a routine call and couldn't handle the environment.  In the Academy, first day for a hundred reasons including just being a dumbass or not being able to hack the PT.  About nine years ago we had a super guy complete the Academy and rode out the first shift with no problem.  On the second day he was over an hour late.  When his FTO asked what the problem was the rookie said that his wife had barricaded him in the house because she was sure that he was going to be shot and killed if he went in.  He had been trying to calm her down since an hour before the shift was supposed to start.  Before that shift was over she called the Police Dept to report an emergency at home and to have the rookie call ASAP.  The wife told him that it was her or the job and he chose her.  The Rookie turned his equipment in to the Sgt with an hour to go and went home.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey....I quit one within 2 weeks once.

Undersheriff had hired his fat ass sister, as a jailer dispatcher and she used to take her gun belt off, to fit in the dispatch chair, leaving her belt rig, with a gun lock up, locker key, in plain sight, snapped thought her holster, sitting in a room, off to the side of dispatch, where trustee's and prisoner's were allowed to roam unsupervised. Trustee's were constantly allowed in the area of the gun lockers.

I didn't want to be sitting in that dispatchers chair, some night, taking a call and running a 28, 29, and look up to suddenly find myself, looking down the barrel, of that dumb bitches .357, out of the lock box and in the hands of an inmate.

Law enforcement agencies, are just like any other job, in the fact, that there are good ones and there are ones that are fucked up as Hogan's goat....and you can't always tell, which is which, during the interveiw phase.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't recall anyone quiting after the acedemy with out being forced, but when I was in the academy, one female did not show up the second day because the old SGT screamed at her for being fat.  In situations when it comes to the spouse or the job, the spouse is a gonner.  A young mother of two threw her husband out.  They were married about 12 years.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
We had a guy quit because he wanted to walk the Appalachian trail.  Another quit because he didn't want to be a a part of "the new world order" Neither of them had more than 6 months on the job. It just isn't for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
We had one twit on the first day of the academy lock his keys in his car during lunch.  Moron kicks his own window out to get in, then makes up a story about how he found it like that.  After interviewing a half dozen witnesses and doing some evidence work, I charged him with making a false police report and had him fired.  When it went to court, our prosecutor took the first offer his defense lawyer made just to have the little shit avoid jail time, which I was actively working for.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the guys from my Company in the Academy quite after graduation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I knew this female trainee at our academy that got a better job offer with another agency.  She got the offer about 3 or 4 weeks before graduation and we still had the final PT test, boxing, and other grueling stuff left.  She decided to stick it out and turned in her badge and creds 20 minutes after graduation.  She then took the other job.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Had several leave on their first days... You name it, they used it as an excuse.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of people leave the academy, some during FTO.  The only one I know of that went thru the whole training program and was out on his own left on his second day.  He had a call with toddler going thru a windshield during a collision.

Turned his gear in after doing the report.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Not the same thing, but at Basic Training in Ft Sill, OK, back in 1998, had a guy walk up to the drill sergeant on the second day and say, "I want to quit."

We had just been assigned the impossible task of having our wall lockers completely squared away to the smallest detail in one hour, after having everything thrown out in a heap on the floor.  As you can imagine, it is all just a mind-fuck anyway, you just do your best and take your punishment at the end.

They hounded this guy for weeks, and humiliated him at every opportunity.  No big deal, he was a scumbag anyway.  About week four or so, a drug test he took at MEPS before he even shipped to basic came up positive for marijuana, so he was out and back on the street in a few days with a discharge.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Several years ago on the west coast I heard about a cop KIA on his first patrol shift.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Our sheriff puts you to work on the first day,and when he has enough new hires, schedules an acadamy class.Soooo the first day of  this guy's job we put him to work. we had him helping other deputies take prisoners from the cell to the public defenders to see if they get a free lawyer. We didn't send him 'solo' just went  along with the rest op the crew .We were a felony-only courtroom. His second day, he came in wearing bluejeans and holding a big paper bag."here's all you stuff.You guys are all nuts" and handed over the bag of uniforms and badge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top