Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:36:29 PM EDT
I am thinking of taking the "police academy" course at the local comunity college, I think it takes three semesters, or some thing. I've heard B.S. about academys having USMC style instructors yelling at you and such, is this true? How physical will it be? I made it through basic training way back when , but I'm about 80lbs heavyer now (I'm trying to lose some weight), how will this type of thing compare to military basic training? Should I take this course, or wait and see what the agency I choose (chooses me) tells me to do? I figure I've got time + money, so is the course is a good learning experience none-the-less?

P.S. All I want to do is be a reserve deputy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Ours was a breeze physically except for the defensive tactics part. More mental than anything else. Ours was a classroom environment. We had to do BS like stand when the instructor came in until he told us to sit, but that was as far as it went military like.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
In the Austin PD Academy, they have a very military feel, where they send the cadets literally to the Army/Navy surplus store to buy gear, and they divide the class up into two teams - Blue Team and Red Team.  You either like the military approach or not, but many enjoy it.  You can never have too much practice or discipline, IMHO.  If the methodology helps keep you alive on the battlefield, it can't hurt on the street.

Edited to add:  I am not an Austin Police Officer (but I have good friends who are)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't be late, STFU, Study & ask questions (don't be annoying though), say goodbye to your friends, stay away from pussy while you're there, and run & do push ups.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's thru the Junior College it won't be too militaristic.  I went to a JC run academy and the worst thing the RTO, recruit training officer, could do was assign a memo or push-ups/sit-ups.  Not any 'in your face' DI type stuff.  I did the full time academy and honestly don't know how the folks did the extended (2 nights/week plus Sat) for a full year.

Brian
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagged because I'm also interested. I'm starting an Administration of Justice program at my local college this semester, then applying for a position with the sheriffs dept (2007), which should then send me to the academy for 26 weeks. I think it's 5 days / week.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't be late, STFU, Study & ask questions (don't be annoying though), say goodbye to your friends, stay away from pussy while you're there, and run & do push ups.

Direct, to the point.  
Great post
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top