Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 10:02:16 AM EDT
After 36 years as an LEO I just turned in my two-week notice.  I've had enough!  My fear is that after I've taken care of all the honey-does around the house, I'll be bored to tears.  I think I'll need to find something part-time but don't want to be a Wall Mart greeter or anything of that nature.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Put that knowledge to work.  Do you have any consulting experience for security at companies, etc.?  How about some teaching at a junior college in the LE field?  Both are part time and can help out the pension.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks LawDog,

I've taught in Academies and Junior Colleges for years, kinda burned out on that too.  I've done some consulting and may explore that avenue further.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
After 36 years as an LEO I just turned in my two-week notice.  I've had enough!  My fear is that after I've taken care of all the honey-does around the house, I'll be bored to tears.  I think I'll need to find something part-time but don't want to be a Wall Mart greeter or anything of that nature.  Any ideas?

Not sure about CO but in AZ Community Colleges there are quite a few non-credited and credited classes that are being taught by former LEO's like CCW, basic firearm safety and classes that lead to Associates Degree in LE etc.

You may not get compensated much but since you decided to volunteerily retire I doubt that is much of consideration.

You may want to investigate the possibility of becoming a PT instructor at your Departments Accademy.  36 years of experience has to be worth something.  Perhaps you can round the edges off of some of the more gung-ho noobs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
RJK,

Congratulations on a long career.
Take this for what it's worth as I only have 10 years into a 25 year plan.  I've had four of my friends with similar amounts of time as you retire in the last two years.   These were the old guard that I learned from.  I do miss seeing them at work and i still call to talk, ask advice and dip into their wealth of knowledge.  This is their consensus as discussed over time as we expected a couple of them to be utterly lost at retirement.

Take a few weeks and do something that you want to do, travel, get away from home and don't dwell on the i just left my "life" behind thing.  By the time you get home you will be more relaxed and in tune with the idea.  Be glad you retired, and do the things you said you always wanted to do.  As we lost a another friend and committed officer to a heart attack, these old guys figured it out, we aren't always gonna be around.  Now is the time to do things for yourself, I assume you're somewhat set as far as retirement income.  If you want to work still by all means do so.  Just remember that you don't have to.  Makes all the difference in the world.

Of the four only one is still working part time patrolling the same beat he always did but in a different colored car.  One is still travelling, one is building his dream camp on a local lake, and the last is spending a lot of time in his own camp and going fishing.

Some of the guys I know who retired worked part time as DA's investigators and another is doing some PI work for insurance companies.

Well I hope I'm not insulting you seeing as I have years to go. Just wanted to pass on the experiences of the guys I observed in your shoes.

Good luck and Long Life!!
Tom
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How about continuing work in a non-sworn capacity? We have some non-sworn folks working in our crime prevention unit, they do lots of work with the community - everything from home security inspections and assessments to meeting with homeowners groups.

Several years ago we started up a city wide elderly service team. The police dept lit the fuse on it, and from there it bloomed into nearly every city dept taking part. Fire, police, dispatch, electric, water, code enforcement, etc. They meet monthly and have the mission to do what they can to find the best way to deliver city services to the elderly. Officers receive advanced training in dealing with problems unique to the elderly, such as elder abuse, alzheimers and dimentia.

The team accepts donations of used but working cell phones and chargers so that the seniors can get one to keep with them in the event they need to use it to dial 911 and can't get to their home phone, or are out of their house. We also set up an automated program in our 911 phone system where a daily phone call is made to the seniors to check their well being. They answer it and punch in a simple code to verify they are ok. If they don't answer it, officers are dispatched to check on them. If they're going to be away from home at the designated time of the call, they just call dispatch and let them know ahead of time.

If you want some more info, IM me

So there's one idea for ya! Best wishes with your retirement, too!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you Sir, for your service.  I have 21 years and am looking foward to the day I put my badge in a glass case and hang it on a wall.  My father raised me as a carpenter and have done that type of work part time for quite a few years now (built my own house), so I'll have no problem with work.  Good luck Sir.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#7]
don't know if you like playing in the dirt, but i do lanscaping on the side to help keep me sain
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
RJK,  

Congratulations on a job well done and I wish you all the luck on your retirement. It will be 27 years "In the saddle" for me as of tomorrow......I have five more years to go before my last "End of watch". I have bought a small cabin and another larger bit of property in the mountains of New Mexico and I am heading there upon my retirement. I plan to build a house out on the ranch property and I will do my share of hunting and fishing too.

As for a part time job, the only thing I would think of doing is working for Home Depot or Lowes and taking my pay in power tools!!!!

The bride and I plan to travel around the country too, so we might buy a small motor home and drive 64 miles an hour in the fast lane with my left blinker on from California to Florida!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]
If there is a Federal Courthouse near you, apply for the CSO position. You can do part time, like 3 days a week.  The pay is great, $23 an hour in these parts.

Congrats on the retirement and thank you for the service!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
36 years.  

I don't know what else to say except that I am glad you made it out safe and sane.

Bless you, Brother.

Sheep
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey all,

Thanks for all the responses!  I spent 25 yrs. at one Dept. with the last 10 as Captain/Divison Commander.  Had to get out from behind a desk so quit and went to work at another Dept.  Am going out as a Patrol Sgt. (best job in any Dept.)  As soon as I can talk my wife into selling her business we plan on doing some travelling.  Can't travel full-time though so need to do something.  I'm a master firearms instructor, Glock and Sig armorer, so thinking of maybe working in a gunshop.  I'll miss the street but not the politics.  Thanks again for the responses and good wishes.  You guys stay safe!  This 10-86 will be 10-42 in two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for your service.  

What do you like to do?  

I know a guy who retired and works part time for a local gunsmith.   Enjoys cleaning guns and basic repairs.   He's learning a little bit new each day about  machining and refinishing work.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Damn - 36 years would put me out @ 62. I don't think I could do it that long.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Tango&,7

I'm 62.  I elected to take vacation leave for my last two weeks so today was my last day worked.  As I was driving home it dawned on me, my first day in law enforcement was August 1, 1969 and my last day was August 1, 2005.  Strange that it worked out that way.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats, and thank you for your long faithful service.
I gotta tell you, with as much experience as you have, you should entertain the idea of teaching the new generation.  When I think about all my training officers, and senior officers that imparted such good info to me, I recall them very fondly.
Those "copasaurus rex's" kept me alive, and taught me tons of useful stuff.  You're the man!  Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats, older bro!

When I started working for the City, I realized that my Lt. had been on the job longer than I'd been alive (29 v. 26 years).  

Luckily I also realized that he'd probably forgotten more than I'd ever learn, so open ears and close mouth was in effect.

I'm starting to get a taste of it... My HS graduation year (1984) was the year one of our new guys was born.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
My Captain has been on the job since 1962.  He is still going.

There are many things that an experienced person such as your self can do, but look at what your hobbies are and work from there.  Do the activity you love to do, and then make a living out of it.

Gongrates.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#18]
well....all i can say is you will probly find yourself going back as a part timer!

LOL most of our retired come back!

but then again it is time to get a camper and see the world like the other half do.

congrats on your career and thanks for your dedication.

Russell #586 MCSO Sioux Falls, SD
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
RJK,

First off, congratulations!  

As far as what to do next, I can only hope that you reside in a metropolitan area.  Obviously, more jobs are to be found and the selection is far better than in a rural setting.  I just retired myself, in May of this year, after 25 years in the fire service.  

I can't find a job for nothing!  It's incredible!  You'd think that the service we've provided to our electorate over the years, and our credentials, might be somewhat impressive to a prospective employer, but it's not.  

I'm still looking, and it's September.  

Pick something that you would ENJOY doing.  I believe that's the way to go...even if that means delivering flowers...hell, you've earned it, sir.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats on the successful career.

Let's see, I've got 5 years in...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Start your own firearms safety instruction classes. Not only do you get to do what you enjoy, but you'll get to hang out with chicks, too!

Congrats on a successful career!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top