Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2005 4:17:27 PM EDT
I live in Michigan and am trying to sell some AK 40rd mags to someone in Ohio and am wondering if this is legal.  I just heard that people in Ohio can't own or use a high capacity mags over 31rd capacity.  I just want to know if this is true or not and what excactly the law stats.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
nothing over 30 rounds in a rifle here.

I wouldn't make the deal if I were you.

It's splitting hairs, but I would say the mags themselves are OK until they go in a rifle.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Legal to own in Ohio. Not legal to insert in a firearm that is over .22 Cal. unless it is an NFA weapon. If the buyer want's them, sell them to him. Let him decide if he wants to risk using them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your help, I decided not to make the sale and mail the guy his money back.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Legal to own in Ohio. Not legal to insert in a firearm that is over .22 Cal. .

that sounds like a bone head Canadian gun law...

I'll tell you what makes even less sense. Any firearm greater than .22 Cal. (short, long or long rifle) capable of firing over 31 rounds without reloading is defined as an "automatic firearm"under the Ohio Revised Code. Still, we can at least have 30 round Mags. Sadly, belt fed semi autos are limited to 30 round belts. Although, I don't know of anyone with a semi auto belt fed that complies or even worries about it. And yes, most LEO's are aware of the law.

§ 2923.11. Definitions.

As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code

(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, I actually figured AR-15's and most semi auto's were illegal in Canada.  Do you guys still having Chinese M-14's coming in?

As for the original topic of this thread, its true.  Which is weird since you can BUY beta-mags and AK drums.

In the city I live and work in, we still have an assault weapon ban.  It covers  ANY type of AR-15 and AK style rifle.  Forget collapsable butt stock and bayonet lug, if its capable of having more than 10 rounds in it, and its larger than 22lr, its an assault weapon.  Pretty much the only semi auto battle rifle you can own is a Garand.

Its one of those laws that is selectively enforced on drug dealers and gang members...which is a good thing since a lot of officers have their own personal AR's and FAL's at home.  Its also odd that we have a gun store located well inside the city limits that sells AR's.  Wonders never cease, I guess.

Coincidentally (or not) we have the highest (according to a yearly poll) crime rate per capita of any city in the Great State of Ohio.  We have plenty of shootings, stabbings, etc.  Its very rare that a rifle is used.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Where you at, agillig?  It sounds like Columbus, but the ban went away a few years ago.  However, council is trying to reinstate it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where you at, agillig?  It sounds like Columbus, but the ban went away a few years ago.  However, council is trying to reinstate it.

Sounds more like Cleveland.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope....Dayton.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nope....Dayton.

That makes sense as well. About 15 years ago a Dayton Police Officer was murdered on a traffic stop by a guy with an AR15. The result was gun banning.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I've ordered C mags many times and they were sent to me out of state.  Before I was even a PO, my LE buddies never talked about 31+ mags as being illegal.  Wasn't till the academy someone brought it up.  Plus I have not seen any companies banning orders into OH on 31+ mag. I would have to look up the cases that involved the offense.  But the ORC is the LE bible and what it states is the law.  Never seen this law enforced when it comes to magazines.   Not even sure how well it will float in court as a lone charge.  Chances are the judge would laugh at me if my only PC was that I thought or to the best of my knowledge knew that the magazine could hold 31 or more rounds.

Possible charge:  2923.17(A) No person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any dangerous ordnance.

If found guilty:  2923.17(D)  Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, a felony of the fifth degree.

Definitions:
ORC 2823.11(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

ORC 2823.11(K) "Dangerous ordnance" means any of the following, except as provided in division.

(1) Any automatic or sawed-off firearm, zip-gun, or ballistic knife;  

(2) Any explosive device or incendiary device;  

(3) Nitroglycerin, nitrocellulose, nitrostarch, PETN, cyclonite, TNT, picric acid, and other high explosives; amatol, tritonal, tetrytol, pentolite, pecretol, cyclotol, and other high explosive compositions; plastic explosives; dynamite, blasting gelatin, gelatin dynamite, sensitized ammonium nitrate, liquid-oxygen blasting explosives, blasting powder, and other blasting agents; and any other explosive substance having sufficient brisance or power to be particularly suitable for use as a military explosive, or for use in mining, quarrying, excavating, or demolitions;  

(4) Any firearm, rocket launcher, mortar, artillery piece, grenade, mine, bomb, torpedo, or similar weapon, designed and manufactured for military purposes, and the ammunition for that weapon;  

(5) Any firearm muffler or silencer;  

(6) Any combination of parts that is intended by the owner for use in converting any firearm or other device into a dangerous ordnance.

Funny part is with the right permits you can own a automatic or silencer.  Anyone in the Columbus area ever visited Aumiller Gunshop in Westerville?  Dan the owner sells sawed offs - 50cal machine guns.  The man even had a semi-auto drum fed shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, Aumillers has some nice stuff.  Hard to believe how much an MG costs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
10k+ for the good stuff!  If you use one for "duty" you can pick up a nice weapon for 2k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top