Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2005 1:32:18 PM EDT
Since most of us are biased towards the AR15, what arguement would you present to a dept. looking for opinions on what patrol rifle to issue it's members? Why (or why not) would the AR be the logical choice?

If you chose the AR, what setup would be ideal? Barrel length, optics, iron sights, etc?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming your department will purchase whatever you want, I believe the ideal rifle is a AR-15 with a 14.5 to 16 inch barrel, with flat top for mounting non-magnified red dot optics, backup iron sights, and a collapsible stock.   Add to this a sling and flashlight or weapon light.   Great for all around patrol use and CQB if pressed into it.   Also the red dot optic, such as an Aimpoint, is good for low light and the flashlight is good for suspect ID in low light or darkness.   The sling allows for faster transition to the pistol in the rare event the weapon has a catastrophic failure.

As for which one, thats a thread all unto itself.  

The top seem to be Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, Armalite, DMPS.  

FWIW I am the department Rangemaster and armorer.   I am also a 20 + years LEO.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I think SgtW covered it fine.  My dept. just went to the AR and they did it the right way.  

Only drawback is you have to purchase and outfit your own rig... but beggars can't be choosers.Scrubb
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The AR's the best.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
H&K G36
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Training. Explain that a certain percentage of PD is military and already trained and familiar with the weapon system. Equals less time and money to get everyone up to speed. Money talk always helps admin make up their minds....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The only trouble with the 14.5 inch option is that is classified a short barrel rifle and is subject to all the NFA provisions.  16" = less paperwork.  Just a thought.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:11:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why (or why not) would the AR be the logical choice?

Some agencies issue alternatives such as the Mini 14 because they don't want to be seen by their residents as fielding "assault rifles". Another factor that always rears its head is cost: almost any AR of quality is going to cost more than a Mini. Agencies that allow officers to field personal rifles without specifying a particular model will find their officers opting for surplus stuff because of the cost factor: lots of agencies still pay fairly low, and an offficer in that situation finds it more palatable to buy a $200 surplus rifle  than $700-1200 for an AR of one type or another.

*post contains personal opinion only*
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Since most of us are biased towards the AR15, what arguement would you present to a dept. looking for opinions on what patrol rifle to issue it's members? Why (or why not) would the AR be the logical choice?

If you chose the AR, what setup would be ideal? Barrel length, optics, iron sights, etc?

The best argument is to let officers run through the pistol course with AR-15's or some other rifle and look at their scores.  If the whole point is to have officers shoot so accurately that their rounds hit nothing but bad guys, then you want them to be shooting the weapon that makes that most likely to happen.

That weapon is a rifle.  Pistols should be for unexpected uses of deadly force.  If the possible use of deadly force can be anticipated in any way, there is no excuse for not having a rifle as your main weapon.  

That is our doctrine in my agency.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]
group9 you from miami

im going through the required channels to get into my areas PD cant wait till im in
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Interchangable parts, and availability would make an AR a fine cost effective solution.   Military background of many would ease in transition.   The army and Marine Corps can train punk kids into efficient soldiers and teach them marksmanship.  So why can't a highly motivated group of people learn.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:17:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
group9 you from miami

im going through the required channels to get into my areas PD cant wait till im in

Lot of good PD's there.   South Florida is not a bad place to get on.  Take any Spanish lessons or courses you can find.  It will  come in handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top