Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 4:39:31 AM EDT
Just curious.....I saw the Dyncorp post looking for Officers to do the Police Mission in Iraq.
1 year mission. 120K, tax free. Officers would be plain clothes "Advisors" to the Iraqi Police.
Of course that money is only good if you live long enough to spend it..:)
I had to stop and think about it. What the hell, I've had people shooting at me here for a damn site less money. Of course, nobody has tried to behead me lately either...
I was just wondering if any of you guys have looked into the gig???
Anybody here actually been on a Dyncorp mission?

Thanks,
Rich
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not working for Dyn, but a another Civ contractor.  I have run across several of their guys.  Missions run from class-room "This is how you handcuff a guy" stuff to....slighty riskier operations.

Right now I am involed in Physical Security and VIP Protection and so far, the Dyn guys I have worked with have been top-notch, no-bullshit.

Depending on how you are tasked, you may end-up working with SOCOM-types, either active guys or guys that are working for the same or a different contractor.  All are VERY professional and skilled operators.  I came from civvie LE, though I did have previous military XP.  Working with them is easy as cake, as long as you aren't a moron.  Morons go home, in a bag or on plane.  They expect you to be a shooter.  If you aren't, you wont make it anywhere near the sandbox.

From what I have heard, DC pay varies based the 'threat' level you are expected to encounter.  I can say that I am NOT in classroom, and I am making more than 120K.

Definately the wild west.  Gunfire w/in AO is nightly.  Mortars, RPGs...you name it.  I'm not talking about a couple of blocks away either...I'm talking across the street.  I sleep in my in my body armor, only thing that comes out is the rifleplates.  Otherwise it's like tryin to sleep on top of a phone book.

The real issue is a lack of armored vehicles.  As in, lack of.  All those white pickups?  Might as well drive around in cardboard.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Rich,

You could also look into the State Department's program for police trainers.  They pay about $12K per month.  I have one co-worker in the 'box right now doing that, and from his e-mails so far, I would say ditto to what Random said.  They want shooters with no bullshit in 'em.  Clearance prefered.

My bud found his job on Officers.com.

John
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do go Dyncorp, the pay should equal to 595.00 per day or 17,850 per month in a contract for high risk duty, lower if you are just PS Protective services. Pay will depend on prior service, experience, etc,etc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddy was thinking about doing this until he heard all you get issued is a Berreta M9.  Any truth to that or how does the getting equiped with weapons work?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not working for Dyn, but a another Civ contractor.  I have run across several of their guys.  Missions run from class-room "This is how you handcuff a guy" stuff to....slighty riskier operations.

Right now I am involed in Physical Security and VIP Protection and so far, the Dyn guys I have worked with have been top-notch, no-bullshit.

Depending on how you are tasked, you may end-up working with SOCOM-types, either active guys or guys that are working for the same or a different contractor.  All are VERY professional and skilled operators.  I came from civvie LE, though I did have previous military XP.  Working with them is easy as cake, as long as you aren't a moron.  Morons go home, in a bag or on plane.  They expect you to be a shooter.  If you aren't, you wont make it anywhere near the sandbox.

From what I have heard, DC pay varies based the 'threat' level you are expected to encounter.  I can say that I am NOT in classroom, and I am making more than 120K.

Definately the wild west.  Gunfire w/in AO is nightly.  Mortars, RPGs...you name it.  I'm not talking about a couple of blocks away either...I'm talking across the street.  I sleep in my in my body armor, only thing that comes out is the rifleplates.  Otherwise it's like tryin to sleep on top of a phone book.

The real issue is a lack of armored vehicles.  As in, lack of.  All those white pickups?  Might as well drive around in cardboard.

Can you offer a little more info on your particular empolyer, or point me in a direction?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, I talked to one of the Dyncorp recruiters this AM. You have to jump through some hoops on your part before you get deployed to play in the sand. First, they crawl up your ass with a microscope. Extensive backgroud check, including credit checks. Then, you are wisked off to VA for training and medical evaluations that last a couple of weeks. Then back to Texas for more training. All the while, people are being washed out of training. He said they have about a 50% failure rate.
Pretty risky venture. If you have a job that will let you leave on  an extended leave of absence, you might be alright. You could always go back to your old job if this one doesn't work out.
Bottom line is, you have to make it through all the training and evaluations before you are offered a contract. IF you get a contract, you will be working 12 hour days, 6 days a week. You are issued a 9mm handgun, and an assault rifle. Body armor and plain clothes. They wear tan bdu type pants, and a polo type shirt. If you look closely on the news, you see these guys in some of the footage.
They accompany the Iraqi Police, and "Advise" them on proper procedure. Mainly inspecting Iraqi Police installations and personnel. You are working in a hostile environment. It pays 120K. You will earn every cent of it.

Rich
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi:

I am new here. I am in LE and a friend of mine going to Iraq shortly.  I was wondering if any of you know where I could find out more about the VIP protection details?  How long is a tour?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I heard the Black Water had some VIP protections jobs.  Does anyone know anything about them? I think you could go for short periods of time.   My department will not hold a job for me or anyother officer if we go for a year with Dyn. Man power shortage.   I want to do the work as well,  but I don't want to give up my retirement for just a year worth of work.  Thats why I'm asking about the short term ops.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking into it. I spoke to a recruiter this morning. Ditto on what others have said. I should have the package from DynCorp in a couple days. I haven't spoken to anyone who has actually worked a mission.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
anyone have a link to dynacorp or how i can talk to a recruiter. email me at [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
anyone have a link to dynacorp or how i can talk to a recruiter. email me at [email protected]

Here's DynCorp's recruiting page and here's their police mission page.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Well crap.... I'm out.  Says minimum age is 26.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top