Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 12:50:42 PM EDT
Just submitted the package today to the Chief and Lt. Lt. is all for it. Chief says he is, but he wants to talk to the Town Manager and Town Attorney. I submitted this about a year ago, but he wanted to hold off as we were waiting for approval for 3 more rifles. We got those, but 5 rifles only go so far with 20 officers. So we'll see what happens. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
In the era of the 'budget crunch' sometimes personally owned weapons are the only things to fill the gap.  My only concern is that if you used your own weapon in a shooting incident, it would be considered evidence and could be taken out of your hands for a loooong time pending criminal trial, federal court trial for violation of civil rights accusations (usually a couple of years), Internal Affairs investigation, other civil cases, etc...
I can't carry a personal AR on duty.  But of I could, it would be a stripped down model just in case I never got it back.  Oh, and it would be an AR-10
Good luck with your policy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck. My part time agency allows personally owned rifles for us peons and reserves the agency-owned Bushies for the Chiefs. Which is fine by me. TCSD wont even consider letting us carry rifles because "SWAT has  them".
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Basically any Bushmaster rifle or carbine after inspection and approval by the instructors would be allowed. No telescopic sights. Red Dots such as EOTechs etc. would be allowed. Only dept. ammo would be used for training and duty. Back up iron sights. If the officer wanted to rely on the iron sights only that would be allowed. The officer would be responsible for purchase and set up of the rifle, magazines, slings, lights etc. The dept. would repair or replace any equipment which was damaged on duty or in training, which is part of our current SOP. Maintenance would be preformed by dept. armorers. Rifles would be subject to inspection prior to usage and yearly after that. Stock triggers only, no 2 stage triggers. Training and qualification prior to carrying the rifle. As all officers are currently certified with rifles, there would be no additional costs for training. Only qualification on that officers rifle would be needed. That could be done only duty so that no costs would be incurred by the town.

Thats the highlights. Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Basically any Bushmaster rifle or carbine after inspection and approval by the instructors would be allowed.  

Why Bushmaster?  Just curious...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
We already have Bushmasters, and I'm a Bushmaster certified armorer. Keeps things simple thats all. I'm not trying to flame any other brand, but I am partial to Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We already have Bushmasters, and I'm a Bushmaster certified armorer. Keeps things simple thats all. I'm not trying to flame any other brand, but I am partial to Bushmaster.

Good reasons!  Sounds like a very simple, no nonsense policy.  I sure hope it gets approved for you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Guys, I'll let you know how it goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top