Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 4:41:42 AM EDT
Geeeeeze..... What is it with people? Big red truck, air horn blaring! Fed-Q going....... and the idiots will not yield the right of way.   And then look at you like you're the problem!

How many of you guys have this problem in your areas? Folks that simply won't get over, yield, etc......  Is it nationwide? I'm gathering it's a little piece of the bigger problem in society on peoples 'Don't give a shit about noting but me'! attitude!

I've even seen folks try and out run the red parade!

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Is it nationwide?

I think so.  One of my shift partners asked on our monthly officers meeting if for the entire next month we could run lights and sirens to every call no matter what it was just to get people trained to get out of the way.  I always try and follow our fire trucks too when they are going somewhere and stop the people that don't get out of the way.  After a $232 dollar ticket they will remember to move.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Dru- I feel your pain.  I started in the business back in 1984, they were doing back then.  People either panic when you're behind them and don't know what to do or more to todays society, I don't think they care.

We have a new law that requires motorists to switch lanes or slow down to 20 below the posted speed limit if an officer is on the side of the road with a violator.  We're still in the process of educating the public.  The usual response, 'Gee, I didn't know that.'
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dru- I feel your pain.  I started in the business back in 1984, they were doing back then.  People either panic when you're behind them and don't know what to do or more to todays society, I don't think they care.

We have a new law that requires motorists to switch lanes or slow down to 20 below the posted speed limit if an officer is on the side of the road with a violator.  We're still in the process of educating the public.  The usual response, 'Gee, I didn't know that.'

Ohio has a similar law, but it's under publisized and nobobdy (except truckers) obey it.  It's sad that people would rather endager an officer than inconvenience themselves for 20 seconds.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohio has a similar law, but it's under publisized and nobobdy (except truckers) obey it.  It's sad that people would rather endager an officer than inconvenience themselves for 20 seconds.  

This law was discussed here when it first came about.  The usual crowd slammed it as an example of police officers having more rights than the mere citizen, and how it should be repealed.  Even objected to it as being unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#5]
From JohninAustin:

The usual crowd slammed it as an example of police officers having more rights than the mere citizen, and how it should be repealed

I'll bet JohninAustin's been on the improved shoulder of IH35 working a violator contact when an 18 wheeler goes whizzin' by.  Sounds like he knows what's up.

Those that complain about the 'move over' law, how would you like having an outboard mirror slap you in the elbow?  Maybe we should show you the onboard video of the trooper who was standing by a car door and was physically sideswiped by a passing truck.  Man, that one will stick with you.

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but this one really gets my gander up!

edited for grammar (however, I may have missed something)
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#6]

I have one of these bad assed lightbars on my roof, along with the wig wags, and during the day, I got about 70 percent compliance (right on red).

Some people just never see emergency lights, and you can forget about sirens.

Fortunately, I have a take home, and now I get about 90 percent compliance during the day now that I've spent a few hundred dollars, and put on of these above my rear view mirror:

It a Whelen Talon, and this little LED unit is the baddest thing I've ever seen.
It's easily 3 times brighter than any of the lights/strobes on my lightbar.
It has tons of flash patterns, but the one I use is a quick double flash red/double flash blue (really quick flashes).

Way better, and less expensive than the Code3 LED-X modules that could go into, but are not in my lightbar.

Jay
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it nationwide?

I think so.  One of my shift partners asked on our monthly officers meeting if for the entire next month we could run lights and sirens to every call no matter what it was just to get people trained to get out of the way.  I always try and follow our fire trucks too when they are going somewhere and stop the people that don't get out of the way.  After a $232 dollar ticket they will remember to move.

I wish the sheriffs department would do that for us here!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.code3pse.com/images/item/ELEXCIMG-lg.jpg

I have one of these bad assed lightbars on my roof, along with the wig wags, and during the day, I got about 70 percent compliance (right on red).

Some people just never see emergency lights, and you can forget about sirens.

Fortunately, I have a take home, and now I get about 90 percent compliance during the day now that I've spent a few hundred dollars, and put on of these above my rear view mirror:

www.whelen.com/hires/tln2rb.jpg

It a Whelen Talon, and this little LED unit is the baddest thing I've ever seen.
It has tons of flash patterns, but the one I use is a quick double flash red/double flash blue (really quick flashes).

Way better, and less expensive than the Code3 LED-X modules that could go into, but are not in my lightbar.

Jay

Yep........ And the auto manufactures are not helping matters now either! Lot's of the newer cars/SUV are being designed.... 'For that Quiet Ride'.......
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got one of these with red, blue and white showing.  

People see the dash light better than the bright ass overheads.  I've always used a dash light.  This one I've been using for years and it works well.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
From JohninAustin:

The usual crowd slammed it as an example of police officers having more rights than the mere citizen, and how it should be repealed

I'll bet JohninAustin's been on the improved shoulder of IH35 working a violator contact when an 18 wheeler goes whizzin' by.  Sounds like he knows what's up.

Those that complain about the 'move over' law, how would you like having an outboard mirror slap you in the elbow?  Maybe we should show you the onboard video of the trooper who was standing by a car door and was physically sideswiped by a passing truck.  Man, that one will stick with you.

Anyone who sees this as anything other than an officer safety issue is just not getting it.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

www.whelen.com/hires/tln2rb.jpg

Jay

I bought that exact same light, and love the thing.  You're not joking about the brightness, it's easily more noticeable/brighter than the lightbar.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got one of these:

http://www.whelen.com/hires/tln2rb.jpg

one of these:

http://www.whelen.com/hires/dmp2rb.jpg

and one of these:

http://www.thurstonequipment.com/images/UF7.jpg

for my front warning, all in blue/red.

I actually get more response from them than our patrol guys do with their Vectors.
I don't know why, but folks will ignore a marked car, but my little Lumina with those things gets people's attention for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]
And to agree with the guys above me, that little Talon is by far the brightest one--if I had the $$ I'd replace my front and rear strobes with 'em.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw an ambulance driver get out of his ambulance and knock on the window of this stupid bitch to tell her to get out of the way. He came up too close behind her in heavy traffic  and got pinned in because she wouldn't move.  She would not move lights siren blaring the whole nine yards. I was off duty in a POV so I couldn't write a ticket. I've used the PA to give very specific instructions to the idiots when necessary. I'm a cop and one time I had to drive an ambulance because all the crews were busy and they had a cardiac(both working on the stiff) I noticed people will generally move for an ambulance faster than the police car.    
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:06:10 AM EDT
[#15]
The problem around here is people dont know WHAT they are supposed to do...Its like they completely forgot that portion of the drivers lic. handbook.
Some pull to the right, correctly...others pull to the left...and some just STOP!

It gets REALLY fucked when people in an intersection do ALL OF THE ABOVE.

As far as the "move over law"...we have it here too, and few people obey it.
Anyone who has a problem with that law can lick my sack...I have personally been inside a patients car getting information on the side of I-95, when the car was struck by another vehicle.

I have also seen many fellow firefighters, and police officers come really close to being hit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it nationwide?

I always try and follow our fire trucks too when they are going somewhere and stop the people that don't get out of the way.  After a $232 dollar ticket they will remember to move.

I wish the sheriffs department would do that for us here!  

I wouldn't mind doing it, but usually if we are near the fire station and going in the same direction as the Big Red Truck, we are going on the same call.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Try getting across a college campus at 0300 hours on the way to a call about an unresponsive person with "flu like symptoms" (yeah, the bottled flu).  The drunks will stand in the middle of the street and stare at the pretty lights.

Had one actually scream "whoop - whoop" back at me when I hit the air horn in an effort to move her out of the way.  One of her slightly less inebriated friends pulled her out of the street before I could put her in my back seat.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Try getting across a college campus at 0300 hours on the way to a call about an unresponsive person with "flu like symptoms" (yeah, the bottled flu).  The drunks will stand in the middle of the street and stare at the pretty lights.

Had one actually scream "whoop - whoop" back at me when I hit the air horn in an effort to move her out of the way.  One of her slightly less inebriated friends pulled her out of the street before I could put her in my back seat.

Dave

One of the officers I worked with at Ohio State ticketed a drunk guy for stepping of a curb and hitting/damaging his cruiser while he was running code.  The drunk stepped off the curb and the officer didn't have enough time to do anything.  He followed the ambulance to the hospital, made sure the guy was going to be ok, and then cited him.  

I feel your pain Dave...Try running code after an Ohio State football game lets out...200,000 people, none of whom want to get out of your way.  Lights and sirens mean nothing anymore...it's bad.    
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Had one yesterday, running behind a woman for over 2.5 miles, switching through all of our siren selections, flashing headlights, lightbar on, wig wags on, just didn't see us.  Jackasses, if they would turn their radios down and open their eyes we wouldn't have these problems.  When she finally saw us, she stopped alright, but in the middle of a blind curve, and she was halfway in the road.  Today I went on a call POV and I parked in a driveway entrance, w/ my lights on.  A guy pulls up in front of me, gets out of his car, and walks across the street to where our call was.  He said, and I quote, "I don't see why you have to block my driveway, you can park on the side of the road" which was a busy highway.  The son of a bitch wasn't even parking in his driveway, the car he was in dropped him off and left.  The nerve of some people.  Assholes.  I was half tempted to tell him if he ever needed us that I would park a half mile away and walk ever so slowly to his house.  But I just left before I lost my temper.

Maki
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This law was discussed here when it first came about.  The usual crowd slammed it as an example of police officers having more rights than the mere citizen, and how it should be repealed.  Even objected to it as being unconstitutional.

Unconstitutional?

Ok, I'm an admitted basher on occassion.  As an example, I think tasering someone who doesn't immediately comply with a verbal command is a bit, ah, excessive.  As is punching them in the throat (actions that have been defended by LEOs here in the past).  

Ok, so my bonafide basher creds out of the way, this is not one of those cases.   Ticket the hell out of assholes that don't yield to police cars, ambulances, or firetrucks on emergency calls.   The Constitution doesn't give you a right to endanger the public at large with your selfishness.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Geeeeeze..... What is it with people? Big red truck, air horn blaring! Fed-Q going....... and the idiots will not yield the right of way.

Oh God. One way we were responding to a fire alarm at a girl scout camp. I was riding shotgun in the engine. There were a carload of kids in front of us that refused to move. For like a mile and a half. Finally we reached the street we had to turn onto, and the kids half pull into the street. My deputy chief was driving and came unglued. He actually slowed to a crawl and proceeded to yell a steady string of profanities ay these kids, and then we were back on our way. I wasn't even the one getting yelled at, and I felt uneasy I wanna do that to someone someday!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I work in Northern WIsconsin, tourist area, and we have the same problem with people not getting out of the way.  During the summer months our main highway has lines of cars 40 or 50 long, and the whole line won't move, and there is no way you are going to pass the line.(They have to get up north and grace us with their presence and money that they spend.  You hear about it if you ever stop one.) Luckily Wisconsin has a law for owners responsibility about failing to yield to an emergency vehicle.  All I have to get is the time, date, plate number, and color of the vehicle, and it is the owners responsibility for the citation that gets mailed to him.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Even worse is what I refer to as "the live rattlesnake effect".  This is where you come up behind someone in the far left lane running code three and when they finally appear to have noticed the lights and siren, it appears from their actions and driving that someone has thrown a live rattelsnake onto their front seat.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had good luck with my partner manipulating the passenger spotlight while we run code.  

People may not notice the red and blue lights behind them, but when the big green highway signs start "flashing" in front of them from my spotlight, they get a clue.

Unfortunately this requires a front seat passenger and a passenger side spotlight.  Neither one is always available.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From JohninAustin:

Anyone who sees this as anything other than an officer safety issue is just not getting it.  

Nobody slows down for me when I am tightening my load on the shoulder. not even the cops

It gets pretty damn scary when the truckers go by at three feet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
At work I drive a flat deck truck, and I need lots of space to merge. Sometimes I signal for almost a mile with no response, then I start to slowly move into their lane ( always with the people actually behind my truck, but only by several feet sometimes). I get halfway into their lane before I see them notice me!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, Combat Jack- them folks are just testing the theory that two objects cannot physically occupy the same space at the same time.

Hey, professional truck drivers are okay in my book.  They know what's up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol, thats a good theory to believe in!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep we got the same idiots here. They mostly just stop in front of you and make you go around. I usually get on the PA and tell them to move to the right. Luckily we have the opticom system on our traffic lights or we would get nowhere.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#30]
As Dogdad says,  the spotlight trick is a neat one, but his illuminating the signs is too nice.

Here in the "hood", we light up the back window of the car, and wave the spot  in a fast left-to-right pattern. Seems to cut through the thump-thump, and makes the slumpers sit bolt upright.

And it's not a 'Don't give a shit about noting but me'! attitude, it's a "y'all ain't goin' to my house attitude. (Same thing, different phrasing)

Anybody else see 'em do the "if I go 5 mph faster than the emergency vehicle I don;t have to pull over" manuever?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I get as far out of the way as possible but then again I don't always think about me, 24/7.

I have been in the position to be on the road needing an ambulance and every second counts.

Get as far off the travel lanes as quickly as possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top