Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2023 5:55:11 PM EDT
Miles Jackson shooting: Police body cameras reveal timeline | USA TODAY

Remember this one? There was a question about searching him that came up awhile ago and I’m trying to figure out the answer.

What is the case law that allows officers to search people that are in the ER involuntarily? I know that EMTs etc can search a patient and I know police can if they’re in custody. Any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Edited never mind looked it up.

Good shoot.

Terry vs Ohio for starters.

Dude had a warrant.

Beyond that he’s got a totally altered mental
Status most states have laws that cover that.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aEipDOu8OQ

Remember this one? There was a question about searching him that came up awhile ago and I’m trying to figure out the answer.

What is the case law that allows officers to search people that are in the ER involuntarily? I know that EMTs etc can search a patient and I know police can if they’re in custody. Any help would be appreciated!
View Quote

Depends on the state, obviously, but our policy indicates we're to search people taken into protective custody.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Falls under search incident to arrest

U.S. v. Robinson

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Due to him having a warrant, he was arrested and searched. He may have gone to the hospital but he's still in Police custody while there. The search would've fallen under search incident to arrest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top