Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2004 9:33:09 PM EDT
I keep seeing all this stuff about 1 year private security contracts to Iraq making tons of money.  I have no military experience (but wish I did now), only a few high speed classes and certifications under my belt.  Can anyone shed some light on these deals?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's like 100 grand tax free to walk around with a target on your back for a yer.  I'll pass, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Contact the contractors I am sure they will be glad to help you out with all the info you need. I dont make much but my second son was born two weeks ago. I could not do it now with a wife and two little ones who need me at home. If I was single oh yeah I would want to go if they would have taken me that is some big money if you can handle that much risk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The article I saw was $189,000 and yeah tax free.  I was going to join the reserves but my wife said if I do that I should go ahead and sign the divorce papers so we compromised and she said I could do this 1 year thing.  I don't think my chief would give me a year of leave though
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I would do it for twenty, but they would have to train me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of these new contracts were canceled due to fraud.  Buyer beware.  Some places are not worth going, regardless of money.  Being able to sit in your underwear, on a leather sofa, watching a big screen, drinking beer, 75 degrees, is priceless.   Try finding this in Iraq.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I was playing with the idea too. www.policemission.com/, I just noticed IPM increased the pay scale, Iraq from $75000.00 to $120632.00 and Afghanistan from $75000.00 to $100324.00.

I won't go for anything less than $180000.00, I wonder if I'm negotiable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm single (well long term girlfriend), young and poor... do I want to go to iraq for a year and make a cool hand of cash?  The moneys tempting but no way.  The jobs dangerous now but as was said above, I can come home, kick off the boots, and play video games.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The article I saw was $189,000 and yeah tax free.  I was going to join the reserves but my wife said if I do that I should go ahead and sign the divorce papers so we compromised and she said I could do this 1 year thing.  I don't think my chief would give me a year of leave though

Only the first $85,000 is tax free, you pay taxes on the rest.  Still a good deal though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a thread somwhere amongst the million here of a from a guy that is over in BADFAG...Doing what you guys are talking about...I will try to find it and set up a link...personally..I'd love to go do it..but family obligations come before fun..If you do decide to take the trip..becareful ...some guys are not being issued weapons upon arrival...man that would be a short mission for me...26 hr plane ride ...30 minute no weapon breifing....26 hr plane ride...back in Bama!!

RUN AND GUN IN IRAQ
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#10]
One of our reserves who is retired LASO was about to go over there working to train their police, when a buddy who went over about a month earlier called him, and explained the "situation":
Our guy has decided to stay put in Arizona.

I don't know if it's true, but I've been told the conditions for the Blackwater guys is way better than the people training the police.

I know of 2 cops from our county who left to go work for Blackwater.
One was working for Prescott Police, so his work conditions will increase 1000 fold, no maatter where he get's sent (Iraq is where I herad he went).

Jay
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#11]
It's tax free up to 80K. Over that and you pay taxes. You also have to be out of the country for I think it's 335 days of the year.

The IRS has a pamphlet out on the subject. If you need it IM me and I will find it.

There were a bunch of workers in the rebuilding of Kuwait after GW I that were misinformed about their filing requirements and got hit hard, some criminally.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard if you're working out of the US for 330 of 365 days of the year, the only taxes you pay are social security.  I've been looking into.  There are other places that you could work that aren't as dangerous as Iraq.  I have a friend that was cop until a few months ago that works for a company in Afghanistan.  He's making 200k, tax free.  I'm looking at working for the same company he's working for right now but in a much safer place and for a lot less money.  

I was going to ask who in here has done this kind of work and for what companies.  I've asked about Custer Battles on this board and another, but I haven't seen a whole lot of positive stuff yet.  If anyone has done any work for any of these companies I'd like to hear from you.

I'd like to see the link to that information you mentioned
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
One of our reserves who is retired LASO was about to go over there working to train their police, when a buddy who went over about a month earlier called him, and explained the "situation":
Our guy has decided to stay put in Arizona.

I don't know if it's true, but I've been told the conditions for the Blackwater guys is way better than the people training the police.

I know of 2 cops from our county who left to go work for Blackwater.
One was working for Prescott Police, so his work conditions will increase 1000 fold, no maatter where he get's sent (Iraq is where I herad he went).

Jay

I spoke with a couple guys from Blackwater that just got rotated out the other day. They said the samething. They did say they have been running in to ALOT more ambushes this rotation than the last one. That is something trainers dont have that to worry about. They just have the car/truck bomb thing to be concerned with while at work.
Rotation = 90 on 30 days off
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
A guy in my unit has been trying (unsuccessfully) to get on with every outfit from Dyncorp clear to BWT with no success. His credentials are perfect, I can't go into detail here, but he keeps hearing that SOCOM and SPECOPS have the contracts sealed up in the "Good 'ol Boy" networks right now and they're not taking anything but their own.

The word is that it is a lot easier to get hired if you are already over there, so they advise to first get a truck driving job with Haliburton. Then when you get in-country, walk across the street to Blackwater and apply for the job then dump the truck driving contract.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.blackwaterusa.com/

Although I'm a bit concerned about your lack of experience.  Cops seem most likely to break contract and leave early.  Blackwater should be your first choice if its your first rodeo,  they will give some classes and a workup so you will know what to expect in Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I heard if you're working out of the US for 330 of 365 days of the year, the only taxes you pay are social security.  I've been looking into.  There are other places that you could work that aren't as dangerous as Iraq.  I have a friend that was cop until a few months ago that works for a company in Afghanistan.  He's making 200k, tax free.  I'm looking at working for the same company he's working for right now but in a much safer place and for a lot less money.  

I was going to ask who in here has done this kind of work and for what companies.  I've asked about Custer Battles on this board and another, but I haven't seen a whole lot of positive stuff yet.  If anyone has done any work for any of these companies I'd like to hear from you.

I'd like to see the link to that information you mentioned

Only your first 83k is tax free if you work outside the US for 330 days or more,  those days do not have to be in the same fiscal year btw.

You do not want to work for custers battles eh, trust me.  try blackwater or dyncorp
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#17]
How about Chocise (sp)?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Eh... My chief wouldn't grant me a year leave of absence.  I told him policy says I can take a one year sabbatical and I could say I was studying the muslim religion, and he just laughed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#19]
if i could get in i would go, lets have an arfcom migration to the sandbox

who will go with me
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
if i could get in i would go, lets have an arfcom migraion to the sandbox

who will go with me

Let me know and I'll talk to Billeting and get you guys a tent.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#21]
we need a sign up sheet
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#22]
in 1995 or 6 i filled out the app online for kosovo... never got a response... that  gave me a complex..
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Planing on going in October. Hoping to hook up with Afgan but will most likley end up in Iraq. Now the question is which job and which company.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#24]
IRS forms you should be familiar with so there are no surprises when you return.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2555.pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A guy in my unit has been trying (unsuccessfully) to get on with every outfit from Dyncorp clear to BWT with no success. His credentials are perfect, I can't go into detail here, but he keeps hearing that SOCOM and SPECOPS have the contracts sealed up in the "Good 'ol Boy" networks right now and they're not taking anything but their own.

That's about the size of it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm here in Iraq now working as a contract firefighter. Pay is great but this heat sucks. First $80,000 is tax free provided you file IRS form 673 and work outside the US for 330 days out of a year. I got here in June and the the attacks are picking up again. I have seen good several men go thru a couple of mortar attacks and decide it's not for them. Be sure this is what you want. I assure you it is as dangerous as they say. No matter where you go here, someone wants you dead.
Ed
"ilikem4"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I considered it. I work for homeland security at the moment at a Dam. Being married is an absolute NO. I tried to think about it as if I was single and it is still a tough choice. The biggest barrier to me is the language. The climate is no different then my local area of Arizona.
This is the real deal, not some BS security job somewhere. I've talked to people personally who went over there, and within the first 6 hours, got right back on the plane and came home. Think about it, why do they pay so much money to try to talk people into going?
Everyone has in mind ducking poorly aimed AK fire. Mortars will ring your bell, and they don't have to be good to get you. Nor do they for a nice road side bomb.
They don't hold up a sign saying that they're the bad arab and come at you from 900 yards bayonets fixed. They wear a smile and get in close and stab you in the back.
Not for me, even if I was single and hard up for money.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#28]
You guys should just start a ARFCOM Militia, make it your own security company.  Go over there and start taking contracts and kickin ass!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top