Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2004 1:33:31 AM EDT
Does your department allow you to carry on or off duty 1911 siyle pistols?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 1:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Not anymore, dammit.
Of course, off duty I carry what I want on
my personal CCW.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The county I live in has half a dozen agencies, and all of them have different carry policies.  The county can carry what the sheriff approves, and he approves everything.  The city can carry whatever the chief allows, but he only allows Glock 9mms and 45s.  The university police (state agency) can carry just about any 40 and some 45s (I recall one officer having an LDA approved).  The officers over at the AFB only have their Sig228s and Beretta 92s.  There's a mishmash of federal agencies in town, and I think one of them allows a choice between Glocks and 1911s.  Yech, so many different guns.  So yeah, my answer is . . . maybe?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
My agancies policy is that we have to carry a .40 on duty. They will issue you a Sig 229 or if you want you can not take their gun and carry your own .40 cal. Our policy also allows our SWAT team to carry 1911 type .45 for Swat operations(Swat team leader hates glocks). I think it is crazy because the muscle memory is different between my Sig and my Kimber.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]
My dept allows em and we have alot of people  that carry 1911's
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
On Glock .40 (model 22), off your good to go.
Art in KY
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My dept allows em and we have alot of people  that carry 1991's

What department you work for?

Our department just started allowing single action but I don't know for how much longer it's gonna last.  I think the guy that wrote the policy worded it wrong so we'll see.

Andrew
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I work for an SO and we can carry 1911s. I carry one, and a mustang as a backup.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Our agency can carry anything the Sheriff will approve, but dept. issue is Beretta 96. We are probably going to H&K USP .45s in the next few months for uniforms, but plainclothes will still be allowed to carry anything the boss approves. Since he carries a Kimber himself , SA is not much of an issue.

We haven't really had anyone (other than yours truly & a couple of reserve deputies)  qualify with a 1911 anyway...I carry mine off-duty, but usually carry a Glock 27 on duty, since I'm almost exclusively plainclothes these days.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
we can carry anything we're qualified with.{small agency}cheif used to carry a gold cup till he got bite by the glock bug.we all carry glock 22s except are female partner who carrys a glock 23 and one guy carrys a hk 45.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Our agency is "Officer Purchase"  and has a goodly amount of weapons approved.

1911 styles are allowed dependant on armorer inspection, but you have to go to a one week  "1911  semi auto" shooting  course.  Most guys that go that route carry the hi cap frames.

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Only those of us on the Special Operations Group are permitted to carry the SOG-issued 1911.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Dept policy is currently DAO or DA first-shot, caliber range from 9mm to .45, no Magnums, no SA. Glocks are included since they are, supposedly, DAO according to our policy. Dept issue, if you want one, is a Beretta 92. Chief keeps saying he's going to modify policy to allow 1911's. After the off-duty CCW fiasco, I'll believe it when I see it. If he does, a Springfield Stainless Mil-Spec is in my future!

Bub

Edited to add: Off-duty policy is the same as on-duty, except .380 is also included, for all the good it does since we're not allowed, by policy, to carry out of our jurisdiction. For now, anyways.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Not on duty. Off duty is up to me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Off-duty and backup use only.  We are issued Glock 22C/23C's for uniform and detective use.  My personal off-duty piece is a Kimber Ultra CDP II in .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Not as an issued firearm, we are issued Glock 31's. However 1911 style are allowed for carry on duty or off, as long as you qualify on the standard course of fire with them. I often carry a Delta Elite 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Right now I am working for Pinellas County Sherifs Office as a Corrections Officer.  I am planning to go to the LE side once I finish my degree.  It will be about a year or so.  I carry a Glock 23 off duty cant carry one inside the jail.  I am concidering buying a Kimber ultra carry, or a Glock 36/30.  At the end of this summer I am going to get a .45.  I have a love hate relationship with Glock.  I do not know why I feal this way.  All I have ever carried is Glock.  Hell I have on on my hip right know.  The first gun I bought with the intent to carry was a Kimber Ultra Ten, The one with the polymer frame and a 10 round mag capacity.  This thing sucked.  I have posted about it before.  I do not want to rant an rave about it.  Fortunately after sending it back to Kimber 3 times, the oner of the shop/ gun range that sold it to me was imbarrased about it because he talked it up so much refunded my money completely.  Then my love hate relationship with Glock started I purchased a Glock 23.  I will be keeping my Glock and probably carrying it.  I just want something else to see if I like it more.  My faith in Kimber was renued when I found out that they where having problems with the polymer frames.  Also a guy that I run into at the range all the time just bought a Kimber ultra carry he was breaking it in I bought a box of 50 and he let me try out is new Kimber.  Now I want one, but I do not want to buy a $650-750 gun and get use to carrying it and then be forced to place it in a safe (I find it hard to part with a good gun) becaus my department will not allow me to carry it.  So I cant decide do I buy the Kimber or do I buy the Glock?  Do you have any advice?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top