Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2020 3:26:05 PM EDT
What are your agencies using for in vehicle CAD computer?

We currently have toughbook but $4k just to run CAD is dumb. We need to update everything because of a new CAD program.

Looking at surface PRO in a mount.

Anybody using something else that works well?
Don’t really need a keyboard, just touch screen
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What are your agencies using for in vehicle CAD computer?

We currently have toughbook but $4k just to run CAD is dumb. We need to update everything because of a new CAD program.

Looking at surface PRO in a mount.

Anybody using something else that works well?
Don’t really need a keyboard, just touch screen
View Quote

You think you don't need a keyboard, but you need a keyboard.   With the barely acceptable exception being if you are talking a real small agency and you don't work out of your cars.

How big of an agency are you outfitting?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#2]
We use Getac’s.  Neighboring agency uses IPads in a mount.  Guy I know hated it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You think you don't need a keyboard, but you need a keyboard.   With the barely acceptable exception being if you are talking a real small agency and you don't work out of your cars.

How big of an agency are you outfitting?
View Quote

Fire and EMS only. 15 vehicles ish. No report writing, just CAD only. Separate system for reports.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
We use Toughbooks but don't pay anything close to $4k for them.  CF-53 model I think.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a semi rugged Toughbook such as the CF-54 or FZ55
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We use Getac’s.  Neighboring agency uses IPads in a mount.  Guy I know hated it.
View Quote

Getac, my experience with them is way better than tough book.

There is a generational difference going from toughbook to getac, old dogs will hate it but in time learn it's more responsive and accurate to the touch without a good ol screen pounding. They will eventually get over it. Offers touch screen flipped (tablet mode) or touch screen in laptop mode. BONUS! Plus you can turn the rack pad and touch screen off very fast with hot keys.

Keep a keyboard, you will want one for the old dogs again, this will create a smooth transition of technology.

If you are not reporting and just taking calls and referencing a screen, ipad would work but I would keep the keyboard.

Are they as "tough" as a tough book? Probably not, but, how many times have you dropped yours? #notspikestrips
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
At my agency, everyone in operations (90-100) is issued a Panasonic CF-20. We’ve had some issues but for the most part they get the job done.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Staples refurbs offer good prices on laptops.

Dell Latitudes have lasted 10 years here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Medics use Gtecs convertable laptops for reports and CAD. Fire uses Fujitsu semi rugged tablet for CAD only.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Getac s400s.  No complaints about the device.  The CAD on the other hand
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Getac if you don't mind replacing the broken ones.

Buy the Toughbooks and issue them to the officer, don't associate them with the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
The cheapest, POS of shit Dells we can find.  Then we leave them in a closet for a couple years, until the warranty runs out.  Then they issue them out & wonder why we have so many problems.  I like Dells but when you buy the cheapest model & expect them to survive rattling around in a police car all day you get what you pay for.  I've had my new one for 2 months & the ports are already giving errors, disconnecting, etc & my power cord vibrates out while I'm driving down the road.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
We have one new surface pro tablet.  The plan is to eventually replace all of our old, $$$$$, specialty MDTs with Surface Pro tablets.  So much less expensive.  Ours came with some sort of ruggedized keyboard, similar to a Toughbook.  I hate it, very difficult to type on.

I think they're a good option for just CAD, no report writing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
For all the report writing, there will be NO report writing. We have separate tablets and desktops for that. Plus people can log in from their personals and phones etc and access the system.

Just need something to press buttons on rare occasions. On scene, clear, etc should work via geofencing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Been using a Dell Latitude Rugged (with a touchscreen) for about a year and absolutely love it! Has an air card in it which I can take in and out of the vehicle. Can't get any better IMO
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Been using a Dell Latitude Rugged (with a touchscreen) for about a year and absolutely love it! Has an air card in it which I can take in and out of the vehicle. Can't get any better IMO
View Quote

We just got these a few months ago.  Pretty nice so far.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:14:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a pencil. #2 lead, Ticonderoga
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Dell latitude 7212.  Outfitting my entire agency with them right now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Right before I left the agency was in the process of switching over to a surface pro, we had another tablet before that and they were awful and only slightly better than the fixed MDC terminals which almost never worked right
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:

You think you don't need a keyboard, but you need a keyboard.   With the barely acceptable exception being if you are talking a real small agency and you don't work out of your cars.

How big of an agency are you outfitting?
View Quote

This 110%. We use toughbooks too and I know we are no where near 4K, not even with the computer, mount, modem, antenna  and install, per unit.

J-
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tex7488:

Fire and EMS only. 15 vehicles ish. No report writing, just CAD only. Separate system for reports.
View Quote

Similar in size vehicle wise.  We use the tough book tablets, some guys run their own iPads, as our mapping is is cloud based and our CAD is web based.  

Agency wise, we’re shifting towards iPads or windows tablets in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was on patrol, had Dell Lattitudes. Really liked them and less bulky then the tough books before. Mreach was our CAD and RMS. Had Ncic integrated
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I know this is old, but check out these. Been using them for about 10 years. They are amazing quality and reliability. All made in the USA too. Been to their shop many times.

https://patrolpc.com/rhinotab/
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I think we may end up with dell latitudes.

As the “IT” guy toughbooks are a giant pain in the ass and always breaking or losing calibration or losing internet.

I’d like to just do iPads or surface pro, but my directive is to have a keyboard. The pro mounts I’ve seen are by mobile demand and their stuff sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top