Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2003 1:57:34 PM EDT
does anybody's dept allow the use of short pistol grip shotguns?  went on a prisoner pickup/transport a while back and when checking the car out before leaving the station, found a pistol gripped mossberg in the trunk with the regular shotgun.  it seemed like a handy tool, but i'm really wondering what the applications for such an item might be.  seems like a full sized shoulder stocked shotgun would be more practical for almost all situations, but hey, that's why i'm asking....

TIA

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume you are talking about one with both a pistol grip and a stick, not just a pistol grip by itself.

At any rate, I prefer a pistol gripped shotgun because of the recoil. For whatever reason, when shooting slugs if I am shooting a regular 870, my right hand will invariably strike my face at one point. A pistol grip prevents this small problem, not to mention makes the shooting postion more comfy.

If its a pistol grip only shotgun you are talking about, I dunno, but I have seen them used a door breaching weapons only, and could be very usefull in this capacity. Otherwise, are you sure it wasnt misplaced evidence?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
az-k9 - yes, actually it was only equipped with a pistol grip, not the combo type you are referring to.  i also prefer the type you mention......

i guess for extreme CQB or door breaching as you mention, i really dont see the practicality of one.  it is a shoot from the hip type...
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I SOMETIMES USE A PISTOL GRIP EQUIPPED SHOTGUN FOR BREACHING PURPOSES OR TO DELIVER LESS LETHAL MUNITIONS.
A REGULAR STOCKED SHOTGUN IS BEST FOR GENERAL PATROL PURPOSES. I USE A H&K FABARMS 12 GAUGE WITH EXTENDED TUBE.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen a few sting guys with them.  I guess they like to hide big firepower until they need it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I could see a use for prisoner transport because of the restricted space we have in our vans and buses. For breaching also, but not much else.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a 870 with  Butler Creek folding stock 21in barre,ghostrings,7rd tube, Surefire forend and a side saddle. I am not  big fan of the folding stock but I need it for ease of getting it out the car(we dont have takehomes so no racks) and with the stock folded and the surefire it works great for building searches with buckshot but the folder kinda sucks for slugs.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a full stock with pistol grip on my shotgun. I find that it is much easier to handle, given my small hands.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was young I wouls of agreed with you that a pistol grip was of limited usefulness. Back in the late 80's I went to the ASLET conference in Kansas City. One of the classes I took was on the pistol grip shotgun. it was taught by a deputy from Ohio first name was terry. He stated all his dept carried was a pistol grip. I thought he was nuts. He argued it is a relative short range weapon, out to 25 yards and a stock was not necessary. After a half day of training we were shooting skeet on the ground and in the air, We were engaging targets out to , I beleive 25 yards, I was amazed. I would love to go through that school again. It changed my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
i have a remy 870 with extended tube, blackhawk sling, m3 tac light and pistol grip with full stick.  i like mine because it has the familiar feeling of my m4 and it is comfortable for me to shoot in that configuration.  i like the control i have with it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep a short barrel 870 with a pistol grip in my duty bag. The 870 is used most of the time for killing animals that have been hit by a vehicle. The 223 just does not take them out as clean as a slug.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
My duty shotgun is a 14" Remington 870 with a Pachmayr pistol grip.  It works well for when concealability is important but I need something more potent than a pistol.  At 6'4" and 225 lbs, the recoil is not really an issue for me.  In situations where concealability is not a factor, I use my Armalite M-15.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top