Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 6:49:18 PM EDT
I'm a volunteer with the local sheriff's office.  We've been doing some intensive training for our firearms qualification.  I've been shooting above 90% on the course the last 4 times through.  Shot a 96.4% tonight.  Got high 80% from the start.  We shoot the same course the full time deputies shoot.  Is it time to do the qual shoot or should I give it a few more weeks.  I'm comfortable shooting and our instructor says anytime...
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you've already shot it five times and did that good then go ahead and get it over with.

I personally hate qualifications because it's a pain cleaning a shotgun and 3 pistols in one day.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for it.  Just don't psych yourself out.  You already KNOW you can shoot well, so get in there and shoot well.  Don't think too much, let your training work for you!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
man oh man, i just qualified at the academy. it went weird for me. i'm one of the better shooters in the class but come qualifing day i started to choke. if you don't make qualification, you're out of the academy & out of career.

it just sucked that 12 rnds were going to determine the rest of my life.

anyway, i sucked it up & told myself to not be such a pussy because this is "no big thing" and easy. i just went with a groove and put 12 quick ones down range and BAM, i was done & passed.

very nerve racking.

my advice; don't think about the "Q" word.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Just wondering... 12 rounds for State qualification? Or was it just an internal course of fire?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I did the state qualification last night (thursday).  Since I'm a volunteer, I CAN get 15 round mags for my glock 22, but don't have them yet.  I shot the 50 round course with 10 round mags.  There is one string of 12 rounds with a manditory mag change...no problem.  There are 2 other strings of 12 rounds also...barrier and weak hand.  I was doing a lot of mag changes, but did get 91.4 percent so I am pretty darn happy.

The course was this if I remember correctly:

12 rounds in 25 sec at 45 feet.  6 rounds standing and 6 kneeling.

12 rounds weak hand in 25 sec at 30 feet.

3 rounds in 5 seconds at 30 feet.

3 rounds in 5 seconds at 30 feet.

6 rounds in 15 sec. at 30 feet seated position.

12 rounds in 20 sec. at 21 feet with mandatory mag change.

2 rounds in 3 seconds at 15 feet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top