Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2002 6:14:19 AM EDT
Just got out of the Army and looks like I'll be joining the Coast Guard soon. If my packet is approved, I should be going in as a GM-3 ( Gunners Mate, Petty Officer Third Class - E-4) which means I'll keep my rank and will not have to attend Basic or go to the Gunners Mate school in Yorktown, VA.

Most of what I did in the Army was armorer work (4 years) - wondering if I should try to get the school or go straight to my unit qualified from Army experience.

Also curious if anyone here is in an MSST, LEDT, or TACLET. I'm hoping to go to some type of high speed law enforcement unit. Any advice on getting in shape per Coast Guard standards or getting a guaranteed slot in an MSST or something similar would be greatly appreciated.
I guess I have the option to request it on a " wish list" but am afraid of getting stuck in some type of monotonous job. I'm not too familiar with daily life in the Coast Guard either so this makes me pretty much a cherry to this environment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top