Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2002 4:16:06 AM EDT
When I worked in the Adult Detention Center of the Jackson County, MS Sheriff's Department, I had a partner named Larry D. Lee.  Larry was a damn good man and a helluva Police Officer.  Several months after Larry and I became partners, he transferred to the Moss Point, MS PD.  Thursday night Larry was killed responding to back up another officer on a felony traffic stop.  The suspect vehicle took off and headed south in the northbound lane of a divided high rise bridge.  Larry came over the crest of the bridge and hit the suspect vehicle head on.  Larry was thrown 200 ft. from his patrol car.  The suspect vehicle came to a rest on its side 80 yards from the point of impact.  That son of a bitch ran away without a scratch.  He was captured by another MPPD officer and a citizen who came to the officer's aid.  The suspect was driving a stolen vehicle and was drunk.  I'm going to miss Larry.  He was a great partner and a better friend.  Goodbye Brother, I'll Miss You!

Marty Akers

[USA]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Deepest sympathy for your loss.

We'll see him on the otherside.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the kind thoughts.  We buried Larry Monday afternoon.  The number of attendees overwhelmed the funeral home.  According to the local paper over 300 LEOs attended.  The procession was enormous and used both lanes of the highway.  

The Highway Patrol finished its investigation and the suspect was charged with capital murder. It was also revealed that Larry had stopped his patrol car and the suspect purposefully struck it. There were no signs of braking or evasive action.  As Larry's body was found 200 feet from his car we believe he was trying to deploy a stop stick and the suspect hit him.  I pray that Larry died instantly and didn't suffer.  

Again, thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Marty Akers
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
[usa]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top