Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2013 5:52:49 AM EDT
Just trying to see what your policies are.

For example, my city will not pursue anyone (cars included!!) unless the officer knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the driver committed a forcible felony. He still needs supervisor approval. Its become known around the city that people can run away because PD won't pursue and have policies that won't allow for pursuit unless approval has been given (By the time that comes through the guy is long gone. Its retarded)

County sheriff will pursue everyone (not just motorcycles) for any reason, by any means possible.

Florida Highway Patrol will not pursue motorcycles at all unless theyve committed a forcible felony.

What about your departments?

Is it safe to pursue a motorcycle you clock at 140 MPH? Unless you're a motorcycle cop there's really no hope of catching up. Do you call in a chopper for a speeding bike?

Reason I'm asking - My buddy posted a video of him doing wheelies on the interstate on Youtube. Some of the related videos were from cities like Dallas where guys would have the police roll up behind the guy doing the wheelie, they flash their lights and the guy takes off. Then the officer turns his lights off and keeps doing whatever he was doing before.

Sounds too easy to get away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Policy for us doesn't change for bikes, but we generally don't chase them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't out run a helicopter or a radio - depends on your luck I guess ..

Never ran from a Leo on a motorcycle  - but have run from a bunch on a 4 wheeler

In my younger days

Edit - I personally think the reason the Leo's even tried to chase us on dirt roads was to have a valid reason to have fun in the cop cars
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
they have had better committed a violent felony before any of our car turns on one
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Will chase the same as other vehicles. No tire deflation devices unless deadly force would otherwise be allowed.

Jackasses pulling stunts and taking off? I may put on a good show, lights and siren for a mile, then shut it down. A 600cc sport bike will smoke my CV easily.

We did catch a couple guys on Harleys a few months back when they realized we were keeping up with them...
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Your idea of unless your a motorcycle cop is really flawed.. you actually have a better chance in a car of catching a bike since the bikes police ride are geared so low there top speed is generally around 100 mph.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on the motor officer...

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol never seen a busa as a police bike in the states! Most are the BMW bikes that are heavy as shit! If there are any PD's using the busa in the states that is pure fucking win!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#8]
The second the word "motorcycle" came over the radio the bosses called the pursuit off. I've even seen it done for motorcyclists who just committed a violent felony, ie: armed robbery and shooting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#9]
No to motorcycles.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol never seen a busa as a police bike in the states! Most are the BMW bikes that are heavy as shit! If there are any PD's using the busa in the states that is pure fucking win!

Oklahoma Highway Patrol in the photo above. Not sure if they still use them, but it'd be a hell of a job to have!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Generally not worth the risk taken.  Only person to successfully get away from me was on an 1100 cc Honda cafe racer.  It was not even close.  Risk management is what the bosses are concerned with, not the chance of success or failure.  Try to picture this scenario.  Bike involved in high speed pursuit gets away and continues on busy streets, T bones elderly couple at intersection and kills same.  Deputy had terminated pursuit  1 mile prior.  Think that through for a bit.  This actually happened at our agency
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#12]
We have a good chase policy. We can chase any vehicle however a supervisor can call it off at any time. As a personal rule of thumb I don't chast motorcycles unless there are some other factors. Motorcycle pursuits useually don't end well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#13]
MotorCycle Chase.    While on Horse patrol in a public parkI encountered a rider endangering pedestrians on the foot paths.I gave persuit on my Horse. We did a little cross country . After a while I came up along side himm Gave him a"good scare"? he left the park and never came back..It was kind of fun for what it was worth. Jet 71.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#14]
K-9 officer in my town hit a tree while attempting a pursuit in a Chevy Trail Blazer. She will never be the same, the dog lost a toe and L.E.O.s never made contact with the bike.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Our policy is actually pretty permissive, but after one of mine turned into a fatality years ago after I broke it off, I won't.

Not that my current primary work ride (Chevy 2500 dualie) is pursuit rated anyway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]
We chase pretty much anything for anything. Like someone else stated, no stop sticks unless deadly force authorized.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The second the word "motorcycle" came over the radio the bosses called the pursuit off. I've even seen it done for motorcyclists who just committed a violent felony, ie: armed robbery and shooting.

Quoted:
We chase pretty much anything for anything. Like someone else stated, no stop sticks unless deadly force authorized.

What makes for such a wide variance in policy? Is it terrain? Population density? Prior accidents? (You would think you'd learn from other department's mistakes instead of waiting until your own department makes one)

For example, up until a few months ago Florida Highway Patrol had Chubs' policy. Then some idiot trooper pulled over a speeding bike, and had the bike she pulled over follow him while she pursued the remaining speeding bikes at speeds of over 140 MPH to write them all tickets (and make arrests) at the same time. Is that what it takes to change policy?

Such a catch 22. If they know you won't chase them, you'll only pull over the honest ones. If you chase them, they may kill someone innocent.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Our policy is if you run we chase.  But unless there are some aggravating factors chasing a bike generally isn't worth it.  The speeds they attain and carelessness they ride to get away makes it just to dangerous for a speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#19]
My agency allows it but a supervisor can call it at any time. Really don't have too many problems with bikes although last year we did have a drunk on a Harley Sportster crash and tear open his butthole. Swear to God...
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My agency allows it but a supervisor can call it at any time. Really don't have too many problems with bikes although last year we did have a drunk on a Harley Sportster crash and tear open his butthole. Swear to God...

He was just trying to get out of sight and hole up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Heck, we can't even do foot chases anymore without permission.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#22]
We chase everyone, no permission needed.  As far as bikes, they are probably going to lose you but sometimes they can't ride so you get lucky
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Permission for foot chase .
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Heck, we can't even do foot chases anymore without permission.

WTF
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just trying to see what your policies are.

For example, my city will not pursue anyone (cars included!!) unless the officer knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the driver committed a forcible felony. He still needs supervisor approval. Its become known around the city that people can run away because PD won't pursue and have policies that won't allow for pursuit unless approval has been given (By the time that comes through the guy is long gone. Its retarded)

County sheriff will pursue everyone (not just motorcycles) for any reason, by any means possible.

Florida Highway Patrol will not pursue motorcycles at all unless theyve committed a forcible felony.

What about your departments?

Is it safe to pursue a motorcycle you clock at 140 MPH? Unless you're a motorcycle cop there's really no hope of catching up. Do you call in a chopper for a speeding bike?

Reason I'm asking - My buddy posted a video of him doing wheelies on the interstate on Youtube. Some of the related videos were from cities like Dallas where guys would have the police roll up behind the guy doing the wheelie, they flash their lights and the guy takes off. Then the officer turns his lights off and keeps doing whatever he was doing before.

Sounds too easy to get away.

ours says that we will NOT chase a motorcycles unless it is for a capital offense.

I have chased one motorcyle in my career (closing in on 20 years) and it was a guy that just pulled a driveby on the bike as I was going one way on the street it happened and he was going the other. He "caught" himself, if you catch my drift.

Lots of variation out there. I know of a local to me dept that allows ramming of a motorcycle in a chase and they have a very liberal chase policy, ie: chase till the wheels fall off for any reason.

J-
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Pursuit of anyone is generally a  dirty word for us.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#27]
For us, it changed when the PA's started asking what is your "pursuit" training consist of, and how often do you do it?  There are over 60 varying sizes of muni's in my area, and none of them conducted "pursuit" training; the course was called "emergency vehicle operation"

So for a few years, most agencies would not pursue unless blessed with the "forcible felony" (ie:  deadly force or threat there of) leaving it to MSHP.

Now, many agencies are getting  back into the game.  For us, if its a bike if possible we just video the plate, put out a wanted for the bike and then just go tow it.  Onus is on the owner.  PA is more than just a little suspicious of bikes reported stolen after we show up with a flat bed.

We are also (sometimes) blessed with having more than one air unit up in our area and can get them in on the fun.  I can't explain why, but for some reason runners on bikes seem to wipe out more when there's a spotlight on them.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I haven't chased any bikes since this happened ...

--Tim
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Chase until the wheels fall off (as long as you feel it's safe). I've only chased one and caught him due to a bottleneck in traffic.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I've chased quite a few motorcycles.  We have a fairly simple pursuit policy but as a general rule of thumb, I will attempt to stop a bike for a couple of miles and then call it off.  I've had riders decide to run but then rethink their decision and stop after a mile or two.  Plus, it usually takes a mile or two anyways to catch up to a 100+ mph vehicle anyways.  With that being said, I would immediately discontinue my attempt in or near a city.

As I quickly learned when I was new, there is no hope for any wheeled police vehicle to catch even a 600cc sport bike.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I ride a 600cc supermoto.  It tops out at 108mph, but good luck, I'm not afraid of curves, hills and woods

Though I have never tried to run, I've never even gotten lights or a second look while riding, dispite some obvious shenanigans....

Passed a local HEAT car in the opposite lane on a backroad on one wheel once.  Came over a blind hill and there he was.  Didn't bat an eye...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok to chase on a felony.  Only DUI or reckless (prior to turning on blue lights) for misdemeanors.  Can't stop stick a bike.  It's a pretty tight policy.  Thank god our County SO chases for anything.  I always notify them we're coming and they're happy to take it over.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok to chase on a felony.  Only DUI or reckless (prior to turning on blue lights) for misdemeanors.  Can't stop stick a bike.  It's a pretty tight policy.  Thank god our County SO chases for anything.  I always notify them we're coming and they're happy to take it over.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#35]
negative Rampart.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I dont bother chasing bikes. Dont really know what our current policy is about it, and dont car. I wont chase one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Our policy does not specifically reference bikes other than us not spiking them unless its a deadly force scenario.  Our pursuit policy is fairly officer friendly but can be called off by anyone for any reason at any time.  Chasing bikes does not happen much here, mostly due to Officer discretion.  It has not happened lately, but I can't imagine a supervisor letting you continue unless you were pursuing for a violent felony.  If you can get a plate, forget it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can't out run a helicopter or a radio - depends on your luck I guess ..

Never ran from a Leo on a motorcycle  - but have run from a bunch on a 4 wheeler

In my younger days

Edit - I personally think the reason the Leo's even tried to chase us on dirt roads was to have a valid reason to have fun in the cop cars

I always love these. Around here, since most 4 wheeler owners think they are some sort of car, they get treated like a car. I have never done it, but watching a deputy attempt to PIT a 4 wheeler was very interesting. Turned into all kind of fail for the guy on the Honda.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol still runs some busa's. They only have a few, mostly BMW bikes now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top