Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2002 5:18:50 PM EDT
Might be another dead end but I might be proposing a small sytem enhancement to makers of radio equipment for first responders.
Not just voice, data/other also.

I'm hoping ya'll will give some input like:

Who are the big three?
(motorola uniden ????)

Who do you like? Dislike?

Quality of product?

Quality of service?

Who would you bet your life on and who do depts. buy because they're cheap?

Etc..

I'll kick up more info when I get some paperwork taken care on it.

Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a volunteer ff for a fire/first response unit, and I also work with our radio man alot. We rely mostly on Motorola's, although alot of our guys go w/ yaesu or kenwood radios. The county Ambulance service uses Kenwood mobiles, while the medics themselves go w/ yaesus or motorola's so I'm guessing those are your top three. As a first response unit, one of they absolute best handheld radios is the motorola GP300. They are inexpensive, very reliable, and they give full power at long ranges. You can find them for roughly 200-300$$ online and that includes programming. As a personal favorite, for handheld, i use the Yaesu FT-50R dual band.
It is small, lightweight, waterproof, and also very reliable. These are purchased for $219.99 online and can be programmed by anyone. For a mobile radio, we use Motorola Radius or GP1225 (i think). 45 watts, and excellent quality.

When you are finished w/ your idea, please let me know more about it. You've struck my curiosity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. That's one name I haven't heard before. For my purposes, mainly vehicle mounted radio systems. I think you'll like the idea. It will be about a week or two before I go into detail.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Garandman, but it's not like that. The paperwork I mentioned is to get a provisional patent filed. The feature I'm talking about would be in the form of a new feature that doesn't directly alter the communication aspects of the radio and would be a simple and obvious addition, and adding only a few dollars in circuitry to a device that is already in an emergency vehicle. However, because of the benefits, the new capability will probably also be available as a seperate device for departments that want it without upgrading the basic vehicle radio.

The purpose of my question is to find info on the best companies in the market to present it to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[RED]
BE WARNED!! It is a violation of Federal law to modify an amatuer radio transciever like the FT-50 and use it on bands outside the amatuer service, no matter what frequency your are authorized to use.

All radio equipment used in the USA has to be type certified for the service it is being used for, and that is no exception.[/RED]

FCC fines usually start at the $5000-12,000 range for violations, if teh department is knowledgable of this activity they can be held liable as well.

quote]

off on a tangent, but i would slighty have to disagree. Isn't the whole point of amateur radio to be able to run on duct tape and bailer twine? I've seen many of home made rigs. You mean to tell me all these people are in violation of FCC rules? It was my understanding that's what being a ham was all about. I do agree that you do however have to follow the rules for power, spurious emmissions, tolerance....etc....
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:40:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Axel...well well well, you've gone and fallen into the "opinion pool"  hardeeharharhar. Your questions are good & you outta aim them at someone that can answer them, eh. The best representative of the market is the consumer and the best service to that market comes from independent vendors(this is my considered opinion). I have a good friend that is an advisor/evaluator for dept/hsp/gov't agency comm needs. I will IM his contact info to you...Bud

I do understand that you are not looking to BUY a system...rather, you're working to develop a marketable ems device and/or the "idea" of something along that line...Bud
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Bud: Bingo. And thanks. I'll give him a call when I can stop being clear as mud.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
O yaa shoore yoo betchya, eh...glad to have helped  Bud
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top