Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2002 6:37:53 PM EDT
I just went through EMT certification and took the National registry test. Now i am wondering why did I even get nationaly registered when I am most likely going to have to take another state test if I decide to move and keep my license valid?
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmmm....when I got my EMT-B certification I took the classroom part, did the ambulance and ER rotations, and then took the Texas Dept of Health test.  That was all we needed to do.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Nat'l Reg is a nice to have thing. It's good for moving from state to state because some will grant immediate reciprocity with a NR cert. Some jobs make it a hiring requirement. It looks good on a resume because it is a commitment above the standard amount of continuing ed hours required by many states for both BLS and ALS certs. My job doesn't require it and almost no one I work with is nationally registered or cares to be.

Sherm
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
ACOG,

If you took the TN class, the National Registry test is the test TN Dept of EMS uses for TN certification, along with the practical application.  I guess you had no choice.  But when I got my EMT in 93,  it wasn't required, but I took it anyway because of the reciprocity possibilities with other states.  When I got medic in 94, NREMT was not required by TN.  They started required NR as a testing requirement (I think) in 97(?).  NR is a good thing if you feel you are going to travel.  Trust me, it's easier to go ahead and get it while the (testing) stuff is fresh on your mind than try to take it later.  Alan  (Sullivan County 317)
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Alan, glad to see there is someone on these boards at least close to me! I'm from Grundy VA.
I used to run as med 19 here and 1941 in Russell County VA.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was a medic in IL I was National Registered. They didn't except it in NYC but,NYS allowed me to get a EMT-A for my EMT-P card from IL.

What a joke that was I think the National Training was more intense than NYS practical. I understand that NYS is headed towards National Registry.

We also might do away with recert's if FDNY has their way. Lots of people hope they do about the only ones who don't are instructors. They should also do away with the REMAC also. Doctors don't have to recert every 3 yrs and I don't think nurses don't either.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a few minutes and visit the Registry's website and review the various pages for some background.

When the Registry was formed, these were the guys who were forward thinking and aggressive.  They had the knowledge, brains, and common sense to know you didn't have to be a doctor to make a difference out in the field.  In fact, they concurred with the statement to never let a regular Doc pull you out of a wreck if you didn't want to be hurt worse.  

They were talking about femoral sticks and standing orders for cardiacs, etc.,  rather than all instructions coming via radio. This was in the early 70's.

Deke Farrington was with the Chicago committee on Trauma of the Amer. College of Surgeons and started the training course at Chicago F.D.  He retired to Minoqua, Wi., and started a rescue squad there.  He defined disaster as anything that exceeded your resources.  

Norm McSwain who teaches at Tulane and is the trauma surgeon for New Orleans PD is a legend in the Emergency Field.  Can't remember for sure, but he might have been medical director for one of the racing circuits, USAC, CART,???

George Hyatt was an orthopedics man out of George Washington Univ.  We had just started a meeting at O'hare or Columbus when George called to tell Deke he couldn't make it. Deke said George told him he couldn't say anything but to check the paper tomorrow for info.  He took off the Kennedy boy's leg.

Roger White is a cardiac anesthesiologist at Mayo's who has been medical director of Gold Cross amb., now owned by Mayo's, for about 30 yrs. He has been a leading force in automatic defib. units. I was eating dinner at Micheal's restaurant in Rochester several years ago when fellow at table at other end of room went face down in his dinner with a coronary.  In less than 30 seconds, a Rochester cop was hauling ass through the front door, defib. in hand.  Two more cops were there within a minute, and then the FD and ambulance crews within about 2 minutes.

If it's on the leading edge now as back then, the Registry offers opportunities to learn as well as to make contacts if you would want to switch jobs.

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Alan, glad to see there is someone on these boards at least close to me! I'm from Grundy VA.
I used to run as med 19 here and 1941 in Russell County VA.

Jake
View Quote

I tookded a patient to Grundy once....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#8]
DScottHewitt,
Don't have much of a town do we? Ah, it was a good place to run, all of the ER staff new me by name and Med number. LEOs here still either hate me or love me from their previous experiences. I miss it but wouldn't go back to it.... doesn't leave much time for family life.

BTW, I have had my unit boobytrapped at UVA before... not cool!

Jake
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Carl and I were kind of tough on the others....

I went to Grundy with Shirley, IIRC. She was cool, too. I went as far west as Indiana, taking a patient from UVa...

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top