Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2011 7:43:33 AM EDT
I just got word today that I made the cut and have been accepted into the program. Only 18 applicants in the state are chosen every other year to go. I have taken ARIDE previously so at the very least I know the seven classes of drugs already and some of their indicators. I get the feeling that's only the very tip of the iceberg though

I'm excited and ready to study my ass off.....just felt like sharing
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck dude!

DRE is a very perishable skill.  Learn it, and use it or you will forget.

I took a intro DRE class but it wasn't as long as one week.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck, I was 11550 certified back in Cali, which was great, 1 week class, not as involved as DRE, fewer evaluations to get certified and other stuff.  It's a great skill to have.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Jealous

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my friends was on the HIDTA multiagency task force.  After the full DRE course, they spent time down on the border with US Customs and would practice their DRE skills  
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
We've been told over and over that DRE is the toughest class in LE.  I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I'll try to make everyone proud!
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Jealous

Good luck!

This.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Start studying your matrix. Have it memorized since you have to know it all by memory.

I'm a DRE Instructor so if you get in a jam PM me and I'll give you my cell number.

Edit: Here are some study materials for you  Link 1  Link 2

Lear to spell "sphygmomanometer" (blood pressure cuff),  and "Phenylcyclohexylpiperidine" (PCP).
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Start studying your matrix. Have it memorized since you have to know it all by memory.

I'm a DRE Instructor so if you get in a jam PM me and I'll give you my cell number.

Will do. I'm using this for reference: http://www.drugdetection.net/PDF%20documents/DRE%20Matrix.pdf

I made a stack of blank templates and will practice filling them out. Having ARIDE already helps a bit since I don't have to worry about learning indicators of LOC, HGN, etc etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do. I'm using this for reference: http://www.drugdetection.net/PDF%20documents/DRE%20Matrix.pdf

I made a stack of blank templates and will practice filling them out. Having ARIDE already helps a bit since I don't have to worry about learning indicators of LOC, HGN, etc etc.

That's an old matrix.   "PCP" is now dissociative anesthetic.  Take a peek at the links in my edited post above.

Edit: Link 2 Page 118 on the PDF reader has the latest one.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to DRE school last year.
It was 2 weeks of fairly constant pressure.
Make sure you KNOW the pre-school packet with emphasis on the MATRIX.

You take the master final usually a few weeks after the class portion is done.
That was 61/2 to 7 hours of testing.

Since you did ARIDE, make sure you can do HGN the correct way. You will have to do it correctly the first week or you get sent home.
We lost 2 students, one flunked HGN, the other the first test.

I use DRE everyday, you would not believe the people under the influence of their meds or other substances nowadays.

Still seeing a lot of K2.

Good luck, study hard.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I really want to do it but it doesn't have a place in a jail...
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went to DRE school last year.
It was 2 weeks of fairly constant pressure.
Make sure you KNOW the pre-school packet with emphasis on the MATRIX.

You take the master final usually a few weeks after the class portion is done.
That was 61/2 to 7 hours of testing.

Since you did ARIDE, make sure you can do HGN the correct way. You will have to do it correctly the first week or you get sent home.
We lost 2 students, one flunked HGN, the other the first test.

I use DRE everyday, you would not believe the people under the influence of their meds or other substances nowadays.

Still seeing a lot of K2.

Good luck, study hard.

Mike

I'm an HGN nazi . A little piece of me dies when I see an officer do HGN and not hold the stimulus for at least four seconds when checking for distinct and sustained nystagmus at maximum deviation , among other errors.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Say hi to your instructor for me:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/dr-dre.jpg

Digital Rectal Examination (DRE)
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Half of my class was guys from Jacksonville S.O. from the jail.

DRE has a place during intake and when a drunk is brought in for a breath test but blows low numbers and is really impaired.

Having a DRE there can really help the arresting officer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 1:27:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Half of my class was guys from Jacksonville S.O. from the jail.

DRE has a place during intake and when a drunk is brought in for a breath test but blows low numbers and is really impaired.

Having a DRE there can really help the arresting officer.

Maybe at the bigger jails but our pop right now is 50.  The local PD had about 4 guys certified so there is always one available.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
One of our guys went last year.  Said it was very hard but he enjoyed it.  Once you are DRE certified you can pretty much have any patrol job in the state.  DRE"s are rare and a valuable asset to a department.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Congratulations!  I have been a DRE for going on 8 years, and an Instructor for 7.  It is like many said, a perishable skill, so get right to it when you get certified.  

I have assisted with training officers all over the country, we have quite a few states that send students here to the Maricopa County Jail for certification.  It is a great resource, no shortage of impaired people there.

Make sure to get the Matrix down now, and you will be ahead of the game.  The final knowledge exam is a bitch, but if you focus on the stuff they teach you, you will do fine.

Teaching an ARIDE Class next week, and DRE School the following week.  I usually teach Physiology, and then I have Hallucinogens and Inhalants the following days.  Enjoy it, but it is a lot of work.  Let me know if you need any other tips.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Congratulations!  I have been a DRE for going on 8 years, and an Instructor for 7.  It is like many said, a perishable skill, so get right to it when you get certified.  

I have assisted with training officers all over the country, we have quite a few states that send students here to the Maricopa County Jail for certification.  It is a great resource, no shortage of impaired people there.

Make sure to get the Matrix down now, and you will be ahead of the game.  The final knowledge exam is a bitch, but if you focus on the stuff they teach you, you will do fine.

Teaching an ARIDE Class next week, and DRE School the following week.  I usually teach Physiology, and then I have Hallucinogens and Inhalants the following days.  Enjoy it, but it is a lot of work.  Let me know if you need any other tips.

Thanks

I already have what looks to be the two easiest categories memorized. Narcotic analgesics make everything go down and stimulants make everything go up .
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 2:29:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have gone to Phoenix twice so far. They are incredible hosts, Paul White is the man. RI is hosting a school in April that I am teaching in so hopefully I can hit Az a third time. I learn a ton everytime I go out there, although it is mostly because we don't have meth up here.

Roboman, I'm going to be seeing the nhtsa regional coordinator next week, I will ask him if you guys are going to az for certifications.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have gone to Phoenix twice so far. They are incredible hosts, Paul White is the man. RI is hosting a school in April that I am teaching in so hopefully I can hit Az a third time. I learn a ton everytime I go out there, although it is mostly because we don't have meth up here.

Roboman, I'm going to be seeing the nhtsa regional coordinator next week, I will ask him if you guys are going to az for certifications.

I won't hold my breath
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I won't hold my breath

I sent him an e-mail this morning to discuss the upcoming  RI school. He said Maine uses the Cumberland County Jail for your evals.

Sorry
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't hold my breath

I sent him an e-mail this morning to discuss the upcoming  RI school. He said Maine uses the Cumberland County Jail for your evals.

Sorry

Can you ask him if my good friend George Washington can convince him otherwise?
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't hold my breath

Sorry

For the cost of a flight and a hotel for 5 days it is stupid not to do them in AZ in my opinion. Unless your county jail is crazy busy.  The 4th St. Jail in Phoenix is sick. I had 12 evals done in 2 nights.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't hold my breath

Sorry

For the cost of a flight and a hotel for 5 days it is stupid not to do them in AZ in my opinion. Unless your county jail is crazy busy.  The 4th St. Jail in Phoenix is sick. I had 12 evals done in 2 nights.

CCJ is one of the busiest jails in the state but at the end of the day this is Maine so how busy can it be
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Pretty much have the matrix memorized. Inhalants are a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 4:36:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Make sure you have it completely memorized, especially the exceptions. For your test you get a blank matrix, you then complete it and make your decisions off of it for the rest of the test. If your matrix is off everything else will be off.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Just to reinforce, the exam you take after your schooling, the Final Final Exam is a lengthy one.
Mine took me 61/2 to 7 hours to complete, which is about the norm I understand.
You will have to regurgitate the matrix from memory onto a blank sheet of paper, so start memorizing it.

Make sure you study the pre-school packet, it will help alot for the first 1 or 2 days of class.
For the pre-school, memorize the top part of the matrix, the categories and indicators now before you attend class.

Challenging but it gives you a unique skill-set you can use every day. If you notice someone is a little bit off, traffic stop, interview, etc, use your DRE skills and you will ascertain they are on prescription drugs, illegal drugs, K2, or whatever.

The guys I work with are like, "Shit, how does he spot that stuff"?

We did our clinicals / evals at a methadone clinic, I tell you what, I can spot a methadone / opiate / CNS depressant / user a mile away now. We evaluated so many. They are on mathadone to get off Oxy. When the mathadone wears off, they self medicate with cocaine and marijuana to "take the edge off" until they can get back the the clinic, they may take xanax also.

We were seeing a lot of poly-drug use.  

Great skill-set to have.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Make sure you have it completely memorized, especially the exceptions. For your test you get a blank matrix, you then complete it and make your decisions off of it for the rest of the test. If your matrix is off everything else will be off.

I took the Matrix you gave me and whited-out the contents. I made 50 copies and have been filling it in as a test to myself
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Update

I'm halfway done and still going strong. I love this stuff
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#32]
So are you giving the "Bear in the beer bar speech?"
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No one has told us what that means yet. It was mentioned briefly when they talked about the DRE insignia but it was never explained what it means.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one has told us what that means yet. It was mentioned briefly when they talked about the DRE insignia but it was never explained what it means.

I don't know, but I'm guessing it has to do with this.

http://www.tommcmahon.net/2004/08/you_cant_serve_.html

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I got a 99 on the final exam (classroom potion) and was valedictorian of the class

Now on to certification evals!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got a 99 on the final exam (classroom potion) and was valedictorian of the class

Now on to certification evals!

Nice work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top