Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2011 9:18:11 PM EDT
Just for curosity, I watched the TV show COPS tonight on hulu and I saw something I have never seen before. A female sheriff officer out of florida had PINK handcuffs? that was odd. All I have ever seen before was the matte black and stainless/chrome cuffs.

Anyone else know of a dept that will allow custom colored cuffs?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just for curosity, I watched the TV show COPS tonight on hulu and I saw something I have never seen before. A female sheriff officer out of florida had PINK handcuffs? that was odd. All I have ever seen before was the matte black and stainless/chrome cuffs.

We've got mostly stainless and black but one guy has two sets that are coated in some rust-proof crap that's light blue. Our jail uses pink cuffs when they transport guys to court.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
ASP Pink Cuffs

We don't have a policy against colored cuffs but I don't know anyone that carries them.

Most everyone here just carries the issued S&W's
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Renegade13B, you want to take this one?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
They're a blast to put on the real "tough" guys.

One of our transport guys has a set and will pull em out for the big trash talkers.

Perp-"You're not putting those on me..."
Us-"Oh really????"
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
^^^^^^^^^^This

I carry a pair of pink ones, mostly because the bad guys HATE it when I put the cuffs on them. I had the pleasure of putting them on a little gang-banger after he punched another security officer a few times.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I popped in here to see if this was posted yet.

I heard they use pink cuffs so nobody steals them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was he the guy that hand cuffed the girl in the bar?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]
most departments don't have a policy stating what color your cuffs need to be...probably cause with most cuff cases the color is hidden until you pull them out to put on a retard-scum-bag.....

I have see a few officers in Michigan carrying red, pink, and yellow cuffs.  but most usually carry black, or nickel
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Distinctive equipment tends to "go missing" far less often than run of the mill gear.

ASP and S+W both make colorized handcuffs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:17:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was he the guy that hand cuffed the girl in the bar?

Yep!

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Distinctive equipment tends to "go missing" far less often than run of the mill gear.

This.
I carry a pair of yellow ASP cuffs on my belt. I'm the only one that does so I always know which cuffs are mine. My back up hinged cuffs in my vest are stainless.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
just a fyi the asp cuffs are a little bigger so they probably wont fit in your cuff case.

I have heard mixed comments about them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Here we go, these aren't ASP.

Powdercoated????

OOPS forgot to add the usual line "I didn't do nuffin" and "Please don't take me to jail"   FL domestic charge
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Here we go, these aren't ASP.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=26046
Powdercoated????

OOPS forgot to add the usual line "I didn't do nuffin" and "Please don't take me to jail"   FL domestic charge

Looks racist

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Peerless had them at SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I settled for a couple sets of the black/blued handcuffs.  I'm surprised that no one else at work has some so I never have problems with finding my cuffs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I took all my cuffs to a local trophy shop and had them laser engraved with my name and badge number.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have black and blue asp... Maybe time to get pink ones for EDPs.. Lol..
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]
About how much did that run ya per set BD?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
About how much did that run ya per set BD?

They did them for me for $5 each. He said that was a deal (pro police local business) but I didn't check around.

It sounded fine to me and he did a nice job.

I've had them do my SL-20 and my Stinger also.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
We aren't allowed to carry them. Too many citizen complaints.

How's that for fucked up?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]
sounds like you might be in Louisville........the national home for complaints driving policy decisions.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took all my cuffs to a local trophy shop and had them laser engraved with my name and badge number.

Nothing a grinder can't fix
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#25]
We HAVE to carry one pair of Issue S&W's Anything else Except hinged are OK for a "back-up pair" as long as a standard key will open them
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#26]
The big handcuff companies all have color options.  Our policy was changed last year to "blued or stainless" finish only.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I work with a female colleague that uses pink cuffs, and she has a pink key to go with them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#28]
This is actually getting intresting (at least for me), although working in security I never heard about any policies about cuffs or color of them either.

In light of this I would have to ask a follow up question here, How many depts do you know of that has a policy about what type and/or color of the handcuffs you use?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Two officers I work with have Orange ASP cuffs......I don't know why, black and stainless for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#30]
My partner has a set of those. She never has any issues with them getting lost. They're peerless and they're powdercoated pink. They also have red, orange, and yellow (from what I've seen, there are probably more colors.)

Our Marshals get issued blue ones.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

just a fyi the asp cuffs are a little bigger so they probably wont fit in your cuff case.

I have heard mixed comments about them.

I like mine. But yes, they will not fit in a standard cuff case. They will fit in any hinged cuff case.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I have two sets of colored ASP cuffs, one hinged, one chain...

they are colored...black.

There is a guy on my department that carries blue cuffs, aside from that, nothing too crazy around here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Had a pair or Peerless I Duracoated pink before they offered them from the factory in various colors.  Never had a problem with them disappearing or getting them back from another officer doing a transport for me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I remember this coming up here about a year or two ago.  One of the officers posted a reply saying he was vehemently against the pink cuffs because they could potentially cause problems.  He said that you could instigate a conflict with a macho bad guy.  I say make them as uncomfortable as possible.  If they don't want pink cuffs, they should stay out of cuffs in general.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
ASP Pink Cuffs

We don't have a policy against colored cuffs but I don't know anyone that carries them.

Most everyone here just carries the issued S&W's

We had a nit-wit here who cared pink ASP cuffs in a cuff sling.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ASP cuffs.

I know of a male officer who uses pink cuffs.

I have seen several different colors. Mostly Sheriffs Depts that are transporting/jail runs etc that don't want them to get mixed up and/or lost. I think they are Peerless and look like a factory paint job.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I just saw a female carrying them on her belt the other night (Clear Lake, TX area).
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I recently had a rookie come up to me and say "Here's your cuffs back". I asked where he got them from and he told me they were on the prisoner he was guarding at the hospital. He brought them back to me because my name was engraved on them. Those cuffs disappeared about 6 years earlier. Still haven't found out who had them all this time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm guessing that was the bleach blond detective from Broward County?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Should have tried to patent the idea of brightly colored handcuffs years ago.  Many PD jails started spray painting their hand cuffs (ours was pink) more than a decade ago.  It made it a lot harder to walk out with an extra pair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top