Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 4:24:27 PM EDT
I am just a few days away from heading down to the academy to begin my career as a United States Border Patrol Agent. It has taken almost three years to get where I am now, and it still hasn't really sunk in that I am just one step away from fulfilling my childhood dream of becoming an LEO. My Dad, who has recently retired after spending 30 years on the job in Chicago, is really proud of me since I am following in his footsteps.

I am very excited, but also a bit nervous as to what awaits for me at the academy and on the job. I have been preparing both physically and mentally for this and hope I can make it through the demands of the academy. I was wondering if any of you guys can give me some advice, or tips for the academy and the job once I graduate. I would like to be ahead of the game once I report to the academy, as opposed to find out the hard way from the instructors.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Study, PT on your days off (if it's not a live-in type deal, mine was only part-time), and don't attract unwanted attention.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 to what floridahunter07 said.

Do your best and pay attention.  FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.....dont be that guy who doesnt!

Good luck in your career.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Study, PT, don't make the same mistake more than once, and if you are getting in trouble or yelled at keep your mouth shut. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
At least in the begininning, don't stand out. Don't be first, don't be last. Don't mention your dad's service, as they might use that for some psyops against you. Don't brag about anything you're good at, be it running, shooting, or whatever. Be middle of the pack.

Give 100% during drills, exercises, PT, and everything else. You get out what you put in.

Don't worry about tomorrow, worry about today and the task at hand. Your instructors have everything planned out and ready for you, all you have to do is do what you're told.

Mouth shut, eyes and ears open. If they teach you something that you've learned differently, do it their way anyway. Keep an open mind as you go along.

When you get near the end, and the instructors open up a bit, don't hesitate to talk with them. You may develop a good friendship with some of them down the road, and the networking may be of assistance to you later on.

Above all else, Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
PT your ass off, they are still going to smoke you but it will be alot easier on you if you are in great shape.  Shut-up and listen. Pay attention to the smallest details. Take it minute by minute. All you have to do is make it through this minute now, then worry about making it through the next minute, repeat.  Study your ass off too. The guys around you will be some of your best friends for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't out shoot the instructors and the ringer instructors brought in to take you down...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't out shoot the instructors and the ringer instructors brought in to take you down...

I had an incident like that once at the gun range... instructor said I couldn't shoot anything better than a 45 outta 48.. Next try I shot 47 out of 48 and missed the last one by less than an inch. He was pissed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At least in the begininning, don't stand out. Don't be first, don't be last. Don't mention your dad's service, as they might use that for some psyops against you. Don't brag about anything you're good at, be it running, shooting, or whatever. Be middle of the pack.

Give 100% during drills, exercises, PT, and everything else. You get out what you put in.

Don't worry about tomorrow, worry about today and the task at hand. Your instructors have everything planned out and ready for you, all you have to do is do what you're told.

Mouth shut, eyes and ears open. If they teach you something that you've learned differently, do it their way anyway. Keep an open mind as you go along.

When you get near the end, and the instructors open up a bit, don't hesitate to talk with them. You may develop a good friendship with some of them down the road, and the networking may be of assistance to you later on.

Above all else, Good Luck!

This.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the above plus, be on time, be on time, be on time.........
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
As stated earlier.... Be on time as well as remember to shave (classmate forgot to shave after PT one day and lets just say the Captain was a little upset), and remember to get your homework done early. Being up late trying to get a report done while studying for the mornings test sucks!!!! Even still, you can never study too much. So that would be the biggest thing, STUDY!!! It makes taking the certification tests a lot less stressful.

Good luck, it will be the time of your life!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top