Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 9:31:07 AM EDT
Over the weekend, I had an officer from a small town close to me tell me that POST requires you to be fully certified as an officer now to be a reservist.

Has anyone else heard this?  Seemed slightly odd to me that someone would be expected to take a few months off of work to go to a school
on their own dime, just to volunteer.

I do understand the logic behind wanting certified officers because of liability, but here in TN there aren't any part-time academies like in other states.
It would be next to impossible for someone to do this. If for no other reason than if you don't have the money, you can't pay the fees, and if you do have it,
you either have a job you can't leave, or you have so much money you're not going to want to risk your life for the heck of it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in Texas, reserves have to be fully certified peace officers. It's been that way for a while now. I do not know about TN.

16 years ago when I started, the training was split into 3 sections so that you could take it over a 4 year period if you wanted to. That no longer applies and everyone has to go thorough the same academy, full time or reserve.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
That is correct in many if not all states.  Probably another reason that we have trouble finding reserve officers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
In MI, there's a separate academy for Reserves.  Shorter than the regular one (16 weeks, 2 nights/week).

Still have to pass the state's medical and psych evaluations, and qualify on the range every 6 months.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In MI, there's a separate academy for Reserves.  Shorter than the regular one (16 weeks, 2 nights/week).
Still have to pass the state's medical and psych evaluations, and qualify on the range every 6 months.

See, that would make sense.  You could pull that off and not completely mess up your life.  Like I said, I understand
why they want certified officers, but who is going to invest all of that time and money to get certified, and then not
want a paycheck?

Why not try for a part time position and get paid a very little? At least that way you'd break even.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't have a dog in this race, just found it absurd.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#5]
No license required in MN.  Some departments require reserves to be POST certified.  I was not post certified when I joined.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:10:28 AM EDT
[#6]
No requirements like that in Kansas. Don't even have to qualify with my weapon per the state, though the agency requires it.

You are right, it does seem kind of absurd to have that requirement. Perhaps they want people who have moved on to more lucrative civilian carriers to be able to help out.

There is the possibility that some agencies were taking advantage of relaxed standards, hiring only 1 or 2 officers and using reserves and part-timers beyond what might be considered reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If TN is anything like Colorado it changes.  Lots of unemployed cops= higher standards.  Cops getting scarce lower the reserve standards.  IT has changed several times since I started in 89.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In MI, WA there's a separate academy for Reserves.  Shorter than the regular one (16 weeks, 2 nights/week).

Quicker than typing it again  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here in Texas, reserves have to be fully certified peace officers. It's been that way for a while now. I do not know about TN.

16 years ago when I started, the training was split into 3 sections so that you could take it over a 4 year period if you wanted to. That no longer applies and everyone has to go thorough the same academy, full time or reserve.

Exactly correct.  I believe the "Reserve Officer" academy program ended in 2000.  I actually went that route myself several years before.  All of our Reserves are fully commissioned, trained, and sworn Peace Officers.  And yes, there are people who will do it just to volunteer.  We have everything from a loss prevention retail guy to an oil/gas guy, to a doctor with two practices.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly correct.  I believe the "Reserve Officer" academy program ended in 2000.  I actually went that route myself several years before.  All of our Reserves are fully commissioned, trained, and sworn Peace Officers.  And yes, there are people who will do it just to volunteer.  We have everything from a loss prevention retail guy to an oil/gas guy, to a doctor with two practices.

I'm one of them.  IMO, it is a good thing that the "reserves" have to go through the same training and licensing for a couple of reasons:

1) what is the difference between a full time and a reserve officer on the street?  Answer: Nothing
2) Having a distinction with regard to policing (pay, benefits, etc. is a different discussion) breeds the "second class citizen" mentality and is bad juju.

Frankly I've known plenty of reserve officers that were flat out better at being a police officer than some of their full time counterparts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I am a reserve deputy and fully sworn in rural SW Virginia. I have never been to the academy. However I never ride alone, I am always with a full time deputy unless we are doing traffic control at an event or something similar.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And yes, there are people who will do it just to volunteer.

That's me. Spent too many years in college to give up the day job but I enjoy the heck out of patrolling on the weekends.

IMHO, all reserves should be certified the same as full timers. I know that's a burden for some but I think it weeds out the ones that are just out for a badge and a gun. Also I think it would alleviate some liability issues if the SHTF with a reserve involved. Been there, done that.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top