Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 2:48:33 AM EDT
or other such terms used on cop shows such as "NYPD Blue".

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 2:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard the term skel before but mope is used regularly.

Basically a mope is anyone up to no good.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Never heard the term skel before but mope is used regularly.

Basically a mope is anyone up to no good.
View Quote

[b][red]Skel[/b][/red] is "slang for crimial" according to the one [url=http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=skel]acronym assistant[/url] I use.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Skel is a northern term for criminal. In the South we use the terms; maggot, dirt ball, scum bag, or thug. They all mean the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Skel, started out when dealing with crack heads who were often just "skeletons" hence the abbreviated Skel. It has come to mean the same as most slang terms:

Skel
Mope
Bandit
Toad

you get the picture....
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
or other such terms used on cop shows such as "NYPD Blue".

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Just to clarify, Cop shows get their slang from real cops not the other way around. Cop slang like most slang is pretty much a regional thing. It's also a generational thing. I use terms that some of the younger guys don't often use and they use terms that I don't use. While I'm familiar with the term "Skell", we don't use it in these parts. "Mope" is real common here. There are lots of other terms that we use. Too many to list. In the old days you could hear them on your scanner. Since Rodney King got "tuned up" that kind of talk stays off the air in most places.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
In the large NE metro area's Skel is a very common term, Homeless, junkie, bum, criminal
Also another term used is "Shitum"
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Around here, we call them peckerwoods.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
OOOHHH oh oh me me me (raising my hand) :)

Heard one awhile back that is used up north and I was told it was Missouri (sp?).

BEM

[b]Booger Eating Moron[/b]

Ain't that a hoot!  I really like it.

I think I will incorporate it into my vast PO-liceman vocabulary!
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
http://abc.abcnews.go.com/primetime/nypdblue/cop_talk.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://abc.abcnews.go.com/primetime/nypdblue/cop_talk.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Skells are badguys
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#13]
"Mook": syn.; see "Asshole".

"Chickenhead": cracksmoker (head's always darting around).

"Tweaker": Meth user. See also "tweaked-up", and "tweaking out."

"Ground Diving": What an LEO does with a non-compliant arrestee.

"Buzzed-up": What happens when someone gets hit with a TASER. See also "Welded."

"Tuned-up": The end result after judicious ASP baton use on those with poor attitudes.

"Beat Down": Unlike the phrase "Beat-up," one does not walk away from a "beat down."

Let's use them all in a sentence, shall we?

This mook chickenhead beat down his girlfriend. I arrested him after having to buzz him up. His Tweaker buddy tried to step in and got tuned up & went ground diving for his efforts...[BD]

P3[pyro][^]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#14]
When I started out the term for perp was "mutt" complaints were "Kytes."  Anybody else rember any old cop jargon.

Bag = uniform
hair bag = old timer
pop = arrest
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#15]
remember terms like
busted
fired up
come to Jesus Talk
putting on the bracelets
my new favorite is
Doing the Pope (spraying someone with OC)
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't remember using a lot of slang; hairball, db, scumbag(s), light show, stick time, attitude adjustment. Usually "what the hell just happened" "if you had been watching closer we wouldn't be in this mess" "where in the hell did she/he get that". I retired in 1983 when a drunk hit me on a motor. I usually worked an SO and out of a substation. I have run red lights and siren for 45 to 60 minutes, and much faster then 60 mph, to back another copper and been cancelled, they had done the same thing for me. Mostly I remember the bad guys put away, the citizens helped and the thousands of practical jokes ( you have to wonder why they call them practical ) played on each other and all the time on the hook. Play hard, live long.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#17]
wow, this is a cool primer.  i especially like hearing the older slang, let's see .

using "karate in a can"  pepper spray
"cherries and the noise"  lights and siren
"screen test" that's FUN.!!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Methamphibian   =     Meth User

DRT    =       DOA/Dead Right There

OT     =       Oxygen Thieves

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]
"Spoon" is one we use for guys that are known to "stir up trouble".  "jitterbug" is for little punks that like to run when they see the po-po.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Here in NY the term is used for Homeless people or people who just stink and are filthy. When you work in EMS or Law Enforcement the term is used allot. It is something I tell the people I work with not to use. It goes below the dignity of a Professional to use such terms. I have met people in Shelters who are not drug users or drunks. I have worked with people who call them skells. It turns out that they were someone who was in a bad situation. SKELL is like calling you a BUM because you don't work, or have what they feel you should have or look like.

There were these guys one in Chicago and one in NY who taught me. Treat everyone with dignity or how you would want your family treated if they were in trouble. People should be treated with dignity and people should die with dignity. The last being said if you respond to those calls when nothing could be done to help anymore. No one is a SKELL or a BUM. There are people who are A$$ Holes for calling you for no reason.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
in DMZtroit, ems personnel call homeless assholes, "jakes"
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#22]
edpmedic,
I treat all people with respect, that is until they decide they don't want to be respected.  Various people go about this in different ways.  But they all get the treatment they "ask" for.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#23]
To add to what Sukebe said:
Here in sunny FL, it was common to hear the term "UNIT" mentioned on the scanner.
Since King, et al,  this has been seriously toned down, in all but the most redneck jurisdictions.  
For those who didn't know- "UNIT" means "Unwanted Nigger In Town."
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To add to what Sukebe said:
Here in sunny FL, it was common to hear the term "UNIT" mentioned on the scanner.
Since King, et al,  this has been seriously toned down, in all but the most redneck jurisdictions.  
For those who didn't know- "UNIT" means "Unwanted Nigger In Town."
View Quote

now THAT'S funny.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#25]
dissapator556,

Your post in this forum concerning the racist acronym "UNIT" constitutes a violation of the Forums Conduct Code
as follows:

CONDUCT GUIDELINES

1) No racial slurs or comments. This isn't about being "PC" it's about respecting each other.

Topic locked for now.  If you want to edit it out, and I mean the whole post, I will unlock it and allow this topic to continue.

quietshoez,

It's not funny.  It's pathetic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top