Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 11:32:23 AM EDT
I left K9 4 years ago but I haven't lost any of my old contacts.  I got the itch to buy another dog to tinker around with several months ago and it turns out that an old aquaintance of mine had a litter of malinois puppies.  So once more into the breach..........

When he's done, my plans are to use him in explosives detection.  We'll see.

He's been in my house for 3 hours and already I remember why they are called Land Sharks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I think of them as Belgian Maligators
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
He's been in my house for 3 hours and already I remember why they are called Land Sharks.

I've never owned one - why are they called land sharks?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS!!

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKf3Vhh0iWY

Those are great vid clips.  Belgian Malinois, as a breed, have been the strongest bite drive dogs that I have come across for LE work.  The guy that I got this pup from has a littermate to mine that at 7 weeks is already challenging evreything and everyone.  It will be a very strong dog to handle someday.  I tried to pick one with a more clear head.

ETA:  I always get a chuckle out of the GD crowd that swears they can kill a dog in a one on one weponless fight.  I've personally seen biceps ripped out of arms (twice) and various horrific wounds to include the de-nutting of a suspect by a Malinois.  The list goes on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn some of the hits on that video were intense.  Those dogs were Supermaning it into those guys from 10-15 feet away and then swinging all over creation not letting go.  Land sharks seems like a fitting name. Good looking pup by the way.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I am very jealous!  I would love to have another Mal.  This is my two year old monster.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one

belgian buzzsaw
belgian malligator
belgian IF YOU EAT MY 10TH CABLE REMOTE I SWEAR TO CHRIST ILL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP!!!!
belgian mallethead
belgian malinut
belgian land shark
belgian GET THE FUCK OFF MY SHOES!!!!!
belgian im impressed that you caught that live rabbit sweetie, but please dont eat it in front of the neighbors, they're already afraid of you

mines half belgian mallethead and half german shepard and really doesnt have a mean bone in her body unless you come near the house. Shes actually kind of timid in public. I worry sometimes that i did something to her when she was young.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Those guys wearing the suits have huge brass ones... No way I would be doing that without a helmet on!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those guys wearing the suits have huge brass ones... No way I would be doing that without a helmet on!

yeah, what i dont understand is how these guys have their arm yanked around that hard and that violently all the time and dont deal regularly with shoulders knocked out of the socket, pulled and torn ligaments, and spiral bone fractures....

Nothing hits a person that hard and doesnt leave at least some damage.

Also, I dont think i would be willing to mess with that caliber of dog without a face mask. If the dog slips or messes up once in your life and catches your neck with those teeth at that speed, its DRT for you buddy.

I have been told that there was a houston pd swat standoff where they sent in the dog after a guy with a pistol who was standing behind a countertop. The dog jumped the counter top and just so happened to be at the right height so that when it lunged at the suspect, it hit him squarely in the throat, mouth open, and latched onto the guy. Ended up tearing out the guys throat and killing him near instantly.

Its not the dogs fault, they bite what they're presented with just like cops shoot for the largest part of the body presented to them. But dang if i would want to present my throat to those dogs!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, what i dont understand is how these guys have their arm yanked around that hard and that violently all the time and dont deal regularly with shoulders knocked out of the socket, pulled and torn ligaments, and spiral bone fractures....

Also, I dont think i would be willing to mess with that caliber of dog without a face mask. If the dog slips or messes up once in your life and catches your neck with those teeth at that speed, its DRT for you buddy.

I have been told that there was a houston pd swat standoff where they sent in the dog after a guy with a pistol who was standing behind a countertop. The dog jumped the counter top and just so happened to be at the right height so that when it lunged at the suspect, it hit him squarely in the throat, mouth open, and latched onto the guy. Ended up tearing out the guys throat and killing him near instantly.

Its not the dogs fault, they bite what they're presented with just like cops shoot for the largest part of the body presented to them. But dang if i would want to present my throat to those dogs!

We do get injured.  I have dislocated my shoulder, deep muscle bruising, lacerated skin, and other injuries like having a dog hit my chest and tear my pectoral muscle.  You will see that the older decoys normally wake up pretty sore

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1:10 is really impressive.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a court case in 01 or 02 when I was still in K9 ( I can't rmember the city, San Antonio maybe??) where the handler deployed the dog on an open door/burglary in progress where the home owner had fled the residence and was sure that the suspect was still inside.  The handler sent the dog in and it killed "the suspect".  It turned out that the suspect had gotten too drunk and had come home to the wrong residence.  The suspect had passed out drunk on the home owners couch and the dog made a throat bite and killed the guy.  The family tried to sue the PD and ended up with an out of court settlement.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice little Malinut TxLawDog!

Lots of good times ahead.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those guys are great decoys. More than likely professional decoys that make a living doing that stuff on the European circuits.

It's like "Gladiator" for K-9 guys.

Are you not entertained!?!

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]

We do get injured.  I have dislocated my shoulder, deep muscle bruising, lacerated skin, and other injuries like having a dog hit my chest and tear my pectoral muscle.  You will see that the older decoys normally wake up pretty sore

Amen, not to mention the sutures...all of the sutures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top