Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 11:32:29 AM EDT
So I finally twisted my husbands arm to buy me a good vaccum cleaner...so does anyone have any good recommendations?

How about Dyson? Any particular model that you recommend? Any experience with a dyson? I saw a Dyson at Target a DC-14 Animal for $549. I need some good advice before I buy a $500 vaccum.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The animal gets good reviews, I have been looking at them also.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep the Dyson Animal works very well for us.

2 dogs & 1 cat, a wife and 2 kids make much dirt.

The only downside of it is it fills up the clear canister with shit you didn't know was there and it creeps me out that I'm we're so dirty.

If you buy it you must do this. Sweep the devil out of your house with the old vacuum then run the Dyson.

You will crap at the amount of dirt that it will pick up when you thought it was pretty clean.

Now for the real downside.

The beater bar gets wrapped with long hair and such and must be trimmed away every couple of uses. You will notice lines in the carpet signaling when it's time to clean it.

The princple is that particles want to stay in a straight line thus are thrown to the walls in the upper chamber and the finest, talc like, dust will stick to it.

It needs to be cleaned with an old toothbrush and blown out with compressed air about every 6 months to a year depending on your level of filth.

A 5 min job unless someone sucked up a liquid then it's alittle more involved.

I give it  5 stars!

ETA: remove bad language

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Oops, small typo.  I'm actually looking at the DC17 animal.

So, is target and/or walmart the cheapest place?  Or is the better place to purchase one either online or in a department store?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
We got ours at BestBuy and they threw in a hand attachment or something that I've never used.

Target has the DC07 on sale in my Ad in MO for $499 with a free $50 target gift card

one more thing,

I've never had to clean the HEPA filter. I wanted to but it always looks clean

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
ORECK XL
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not invest Central Vac it improves the value of your house for resale, less noise better for allergens (doesn't kick the dust particals back at you either) and easier on your shoulders and back and you can put an inlet in your basement and outside for all sort additional cleaning like vacuuming the inside of your car.

You can get a good system for $800 - make sure to get one that you can turn off at the handle and not from the wall so you won't have to run back to the wall to shut off to pick up the phone or answer the door.

Happy vacuuming.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Hoover WindTunnel.   It works real good though is messy when you are done and have to knock out the dust from the filter and the cannister.

I've had mine for 8 years and have only replaced the dust filter.  Never have changed the HEPA filter.  And of course taking out the beater bar to get hair and long threads off of it. Had to change the belt once. I recently saw one advertised for $199 so they have come down in price.

Dyson looks like a good product, but I can't spend $500 for a vacuum.

siggal
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Lindhaus that is great.  It was a store demo that I picked up for about $500.  They normally run about a grand.  It has Hepa filter capability too.

Good vacuums are expensive, but they will last a long time---unlike the disposable chain store ones.

Dave.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Hoover equivalent to the Dyson.  It received a better rating than the Dyson on Consumer Reports.  I LOVE it and there are no filters to replace.  Just empty, wash, and go.  Empty the vacuum outside though so you don't put all that dust back into the air!

One word of caution, when you see what kind of filth comes out of your carpet, try not to throw up!  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
We use a built in central vacuum cleaner.  It works great and there is no big machine to lug around.  It is not that hard to install even a house that is alread built.  I have installed to in existing homes we lived in and one when it was built.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Well..We bought a Kirby and I love it.  It's quite a bit more than $500 though..we bought because my mom has had one for 16 years and I've seen it work so I know the quality.  She has never had a problem with hers except the typical belt replacement from wear.  I feel a lot better knowing that I am getting the dirt and dust out of the padding of the carpet where is hides.  But like someone said earlier try not to faint when you see the dirt that is in your carpet that you didn't know was there cause your other vacuum left it behind..
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Kirby.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]
My grandma bought a Dyson not so long ago...Thing is sweet.  Everyone here has pretty much covered the "Try not to puke when you vacuum the first time" It is really disgusting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Dyson is the bomb. I've had mine for about 4 or 5 years and have not any trouble.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Never had the Dyson, but Kirby is a good one along with Ricar. currently I am using ricar and I see the difference between cheap vacuums and really putting money into them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Dyson kicks ass.  DC07 animal from bed, bath and beyond with a 20% coupon = pretty sweet price.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Kirby, get a Kirby
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Kenmore.  

Then use the money you saved by not buying an Oreck or a Dyson to buy AMMO!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dyson kicks ass.  DC07 animal from bed, bath and beyond with a 20% coupon = pretty sweet price.

YUP!!!!
And I did what another poster suggested. I ran my hoover all over the house, THEN ran the dyson.

Holy CRAP!!!!
I had no idea how bad my other vacuum was!
We have a DC07 Animal, purchased like Legend purchased his, with 20% off coupon.

Best money I ever spent on an appliance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Dysons Suck...........Now I have issues with knowing the filth that I found in the carpets. OCD folks should stay away from these.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to chime in for the Dyson as well. We bought the one Costco sells about 3 years ago (not sure of the model, they don't sell the same model anymore.)  I'll echo everyone elses sentiments on how well it sucks I will also tell you it has held up perfectly during those three years.  I am particuluarly hard on vacuums.  I have broken every other plastic based vacuum we have had, usually within two years of buying it.  The Dyson has stood up to my abuse and is ready to take more.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Kenmore.  

Then use the money you saved by not buying an Oreck or a Dyson to buy AMMO!!!

That is good advice!!!
Actually, I like the Oreck (when it runs), but we got talked into a Kirby a few years ago. Excellent machine, and the carpet shampooer attachment even works so-so. My only complaint with the Kirby is its weight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm going to chime in with a vote for Rainbow.  They're quite expensive, but pay for themselves in the long run, since they last so long.  Mine is 12 years old and still runs like new.  And it's been well used and abused over the years.  And you never have to purchase bags or filters for it, you just fill the little tank with water and dump it out when you're done.  Water traps dust and allergens better than anything.  I don't care what kind of filters or bags you're using, they all let dust and allergens back into the air when you change / empty them.  Water doesn't.  And it's much more versatile than most uprights, you can go right from carpeting to hard floors with it, dust, clean the blinds and the ceiling fans, vacuum the couch, etc.  Does stairs very easily.  Goes right under most furniture.  When (if) this one I have ever dies, I'm getting another one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Shop Vac!!!!!

$500 for a freakn vacuum??? Thats a "cheap" pistol/rifle.  Get the cat out of the house and dont spend $500.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#26]
As for Oreck no go because I like the bagless system...I'm too retarted and lazy to go buy the bags over again. I like the 10yr warranty thing on the Oreck but still the general machine doesn't match the specs of a Dyson. I really like all the special attachments, 17 ft hose, ease of stair cleaning. and I think that the filter works great, the Hepa filter has a lifetime warranty and is washable meaning you only use one plus the air leaving a dyson is 150% cleaner than the air we breath so I know the crap from my vaccum is not getting spit out like the eureka and the hoover I had. I go through vaccums like every 2 years I want something that I can use with ease. If I spend $70 every 2 years then spending $500 on one that will last 20 is worth it to me.

As for the people who said they could buy ammo with the left over. I wouldn't consider the 5 second rule on your carpet. I have a 2 year old that will eat food off of the carpet if I wasn't looking so I want a clean carpet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top