Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 5:38:17 AM EDT
Here's my question...why is it that noone wants to commit to ANYTHING anymore?  Case in point.  I'm kind of my office "cheerleader" (yes, I have the pom poms..)  So, I organize all the parties, happy hours, etc.  Well, today, for our in office Christmas party, we're having a cookie swap.  I asked everyone to bake just one batch of cookies, and bring them in today, and we'd all swap cookies, and have a nice tray to take home for the holidays.  Nice Idea, I thought.  Well, only about 17 out of an office of 50 wanted to do it.  So, fine.  I went out yesterday, and bought nice trays for everyone to put the cookies on, and ribbons, and wrap for the trays.  I bought a few extra, just in case.

Well, all of a sudden, people that hadn't said they would participate have cookies with them today.  I just wish people would commit to something.  Why is that so hard?  I'm busy, too, it's not like I have no life.  I've worked an extra 20 hours this week at my second job, I have just as much wrapping and baking and cleaning, and shopping as the next person.  But I wanted to participate, so I made time for it.  

What is it these days with people?  Do they wait and see what better offers come along?  It's the same thing with parties.  I'll have a party, or friends of mine will have parties.  Noone RSVPS with a definite yes.  It frustrates me to no end.  Noone wants to commit to things anymore.  I think it's sad.

I appreciate people who make the commitment, and make the effort to make things easier for others.  If I'm invited to a party, I check my calendar, and commit to it if I can.  And then I plan for it.  I just don't get those people that wait and see what else might come along and be a better offer.

I think it's rude, honestly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
they wait and see what better offers come along    
I think it's rude, honestly.

+1
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, it's very rude.  I used to be the office "cruise director", and that was a hassle in itself.  Its tough just to get 15 people together at the same time, but planning stuff for an entire office of almost 200 is nearly impossible.  What really irks me is when people say they'll come to an event, we make reservations (pay in advance), and then they don't show up.  That's evil.  I think flogging is in order for such a thing.  I'm glad I got out of that "cruise director" role.  Now I just fix stuff that breaks.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I agree, it's very rude.  I used to be the office "cruise director", and that was a hassle in itself.  Its tough just to get 15 people together at the same time, but planning stuff for an entire office of almost 200 is nearly impossible.  What really irks me is when people say they'll come to an event, we make reservations (pay in advance), and then they don't show up.  That's evil.  I think flogging is in order for such a thing.  I'm glad I got out of that "cruise director" role.  Now I just fix stuff that breaks.  MJD

It's really been a damper on my event planning, too.  I love to give parties, but I hate to put money, and time and energy into something that MAY OR MAY NOT have attendees.  Maybe it's just me, I get so excited about stuff, parties, holidays, etc.  I guess I expect similiar excitement from others, and when I don't get it, or I get nothing, it's disheartening.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend here in VA who always reneges on something the last minute. Left me waiting for over an hour when we were supposed to meet for coffee. I called him because I was worried, and he hadn't even left to head to DC, yet! I told him not to even bother, because at that point it was getting late and I had to get ready for a date that night.

When it comes to making plans, it seems like a lot of people will wait to see if something better comes along. I caught someone doing that back in college, and when I called her on it she wouldn't even admit to it.

As an arfcommer here can testify--I still showed up at a museum to hang out although I hadn't slept the night before and I was mildly hungover, because I said I was going to do it and I wanted to stay committed to it.

I think some people are losing their passion for living and giving.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Amen Daisy!
Good rant!
One of my peeves as well...the only time I issue a "maybe" is if I am searching for a sitter (and with my hellions, it's difficult) or if I am unsure of my work schedule (my brother loses waitresses like Paris does her braincells).

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it's rude too.
But If you really need to get rid of some home cooked cookies, I'll be glad to take them off your hands.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think most people are waiting to see if something better comes along. I think it's more just indecisiveness on their part. I hate indecisive people. I don't really care one way or the other what you decide, just make a damn choice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear ya.  Rude is rude.

Especially when it is about cookies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Wanna hear rude?

You're seeing a woman, finally get her in the mood, take off your clothes and she laughs at your naked body. Now that's rude.

I mean, that's metaphorical....you know. Not like I'm saying me, it's just an example.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
They don't commit because when time comes for the event, and they don't make it, they don't have to make an excuse. But, if they can make it, they just show up and act like it's some gift from God that they were able to make it. Usually this is because other plans they may have committed to, fell through.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
It's really an organized scam to benefit the all powerfull Cookie Cartel!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Everyone has their limits www.devilducky.com/media/39303/

That was pretty funny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top