Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 9:09:23 PM EDT
My Mom is in her sixties and lives out in the country with my Dad, but Dad is away on business now and then. During one of his trips there was an incident (mailbox bashing I think) where the sheriff was called out, late at night. Anyway in the conversation that ensued, the Sherriff expressed his surprise at the fact that my mom was alone and unarmed in a rural home. Since that time she asked me to help her select a handgun and get training, for personal defense.

First of all let me say she does not like guns, never has. She grew up in France and still remembers first having Hitler's conquering army rolling through her village, and later the liberating American forces. So she has seen plenty of war and has always expressed her dislike of firearms in general.  So her asking about a pistol took me by surprise.

Anyway, I need to find a pistol that suits her, in a caliber that will not intimidate her so much she won't use it, but yet will still stop a threat. She already has told me she wants to try some to make sure they fit her hand, but I don't know that she has ever discharged a firearm in her life.

I have plenty of automatics, including an XD9 subcompact that would probably fit her hand (my Sigs are all way to big), but I am thinking a revolver would be much more simple to use with fewer variables, and perhaps better for a complete novice shooter to start with. It will not be for CCW. I am considering a S&W snubnosed in .38 special. I realize the .38 caliber cartridge is not a powerhouse, but I am afraid .357 Magnum will intimidate. Bear in mind I am not a revolver person, so I don't have much experience with revolver calibers at all, mostly just 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

What are your thoughts on what would be good for a 60 something year old woman who is not frail, but is only 5'2" with small hands and is a complete novice to firearms, for home defense only, not CCW.

The second question is about training. Having had enough time in the military combat arms branches and having taught many blocks of instruction on various weapons that I feel that I can teach her basic firearm safety and handling, as well as familiarization and get her some initial range time. However, I have always felt that it is better for some formal training to be done by someone other than a family member, and in this case, I feel like she would respond and learn better from a female instructor.

Can anyone recommend a female instructor for basic personal defense with a handgun or even just basic instruction, so that she can truly get comfortable with it? I haven't seen any listed in the yellow pages or on the web. It would have to be in or near the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Lady Smith in .38 for a gun.

Small, easy to shoot, point and shoot. My wife is small and it fits her very well, she doesn't like recoil. There are very good defense loads in .38 out there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Lady Smith in .38 for a gun.

Small, easy to shoot, point and shoot. My wife is small and it fits her very well, she doesn't like recoil. There are very good defense loads in .38 out there.

I was looking at one today. Smooth trigger. Definitely on my list. was also looking at the .38 spcl +P Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P cartridges.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess you ladies have no opinion on this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
we get this topic weekly--do a search
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Seven threads down.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=71&t=386109

<-- Edit: 1066, year of the Norman conquest of England.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:08:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By _DR  I need to find a pistol that suits her...... a complete novice shooter to start with.

Dave

IMO for HD you should start her with a shotty.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:17:11 AM EDT
[#8]
The wife and I both own and shoot semi's, but there's a Taurus 85 under the pillow at night.  It requires no thought, point and pull the trigger.  Just the ticket for that middle of the night need.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By _DR  I need to find a pistol that suits her...... a complete novice shooter to start with.

Dave

IMO for HD you should start her with a shotty.

We have an 870. She doesn't like long Arms and stated she want wants a pistol. Otherwise, a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The wife and I both own and shoot semi's, but there's a Taurus 85 under the pillow at night.  It requires no thought, point and pull the trigger.  Just the ticket for that middle of the night need.

I'll take a look at an 85 and see how she likes it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I diffinately think a 16 or 20 gauge shotgun is the way to go for your Mother.  Its safer and easier to use.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Anything but a Luger, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I diffinately think a 16 or 20 gauge shotgun is the way to go for your Mother.  Its safer and easier to use.

Patty

I agree, but...

She won't do it. She is intimidated by shotguns and longarms in general. Plus she wants something she can hide discreetly, and be hidden nearby her in the house. Hard to do with a long arm. pretty sure a revolver is what we will start with, anyway. Just need to decide what type, model, caliber, grips, load, etc. Unless she tries one of my automatics and takes to it, and show proficiency with it. I'll probably let shoot a .22 pistol for the first range session, but I definitely dont want her loading anything less than .38 or 9mm for HD whatever we get.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Luger have something bad about it?

Oh never mind I see your point.

I doubt she is able to identify specific firearms to the point where she would associate the Luger as used by the Germans in that time period, course I could be wrong. It is distinctive. Definitely would not want the one with the waffenampt on it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Luger have something bad about it?

Oh never mind I see your point.

I doubt she is able to identify specific firearms to the point where she would associate the Luger as used by the Germans in that time period, course I could be wrong. It is distinctive. Definitely would not want the one with the waffenampt on it anyway.

Yeah, just a precautionary measure.  You never know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#16]
If you have several of your own handguns, why not pack them up, invite along someone with a revolver, and take her to the range to try them all out to see what she likes?  That's what the guys from GA Hometown did for me when I first started out, and it turned out that I hated the lady smith and loved the Kimber.  Go figure.  She also might like to feel a little more involved in the selection proccess.  I know I wouldn't have been happy if my husband had just gone out and bought the gun he thought would be best for me and said "here ya go, honey."
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you have several of your own handguns, why not pack them up, invite along someone with a revolver, and take her to the range to try them all out to see what she likes?  That's what the guys from GA Hometown did for me when I first started out, and it turned out that I hated the lady smith and loved the Kimber.  Go figure.  She also might like to feel a little more involved in the selection proccess.  I know I wouldn't have been happy if my husband had just gone out and bought the gun he thought would be best for me and said "here ya go, honey."

Yep will be doing this, I have a P220, XD9 Subcompact and P239 in .40. The P220 will be way to beefy, but the P239 and XD9 both have smnall grips, too small for me really, but they conceal easily so they are CCWs. She could have any gun I own. (excuse to buy more ) but I just thought the added complexity of managing magazines and the importance of gripping correctly with an automatic might make them a poor choice for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with handguns. I guess we will see.

Since I don't believe in thumb safeties, wouldn't to worry about that. Just draw and pull, like a revolver, once loaded. In that respect the XD9 is best, no decocker. (And please nobody suggest a Glock.) I guess it will boil down to whatever she feels most comfortable with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top