Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 2:40:22 PM EDT
There are probably dozens of kids in your neighborhood that like to hit you up for school fundraisers.  

Well, I refuse to go door to door!!  Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, my daughter just started kindergarten a couple of weeks ago and believe it or not they've sent home a catalog for her to sell items out of!  She's 5 for cryin out loud!!!!!!!  So who gets to do the work to ensure she gets the lovely prize out of the catalog that she's desperately wanting?  Why me of course.......

On that note.. if anyone wants to purchase anything from my darling 5 year old little you can do so through www.innisbrook.com/index.cfm

However, you're going to need her name in order to ensure that she gets credit........ IM me if you're interested..

And hey, you can't blame a parent for trying
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
hee hee!  BTDT.   Now adays they don't want you going door to door anyway.  You're supposed to take the catalog to work and when you're done with the co-workers, you're supposed to hit up the grandparents, aunts, uncles...

I often wondered, "can't I just give your school a $20 and save myself the headache of having to sell this stuff for you?" How much % does the school get of the sales?

ETA: hey, they've got all kinds of stuff...hmmm, you might have an order, let me check it out again in the morning...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
hee hee!  BTDT.   Now adays they don't want you going door to door anyway.  You're supposed to take the catalog to work and when you're done with the co-workers, you're supposed to hit up the grandparents, aunts, uncles...

I often wondered, "can't I just give your school a $20 and save myself the headache of having to sell this stuff for you?" How much % does the school get of the sales?

ETA: hey, they've got all kinds of stuff...hmmm, you might have an order, let me check it out again in the morning...

You are much better off giving a cash donation.  I worked as an elementary school teacher for a short stint and the amount of fund raising they do is unbelievable.  From what i remember they recieve less then 5% of the cost of most items, if that.  It depends on what you are selling.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Actually, it does mention door to door sales.

And in this case......... the school receives 50%
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
With four kids in schools for the past 16 years you can imagine the fund raising crap that has been brought home.  I have told them to toss that stuff in the trash and not even bring it home for the past few years.  All the kids are interested in is the prize they will get - it is a lot cheaper to just buy the 'prize' for them.  I don't mind helping the schools - don't get me wrong- so I usually buy some crap from somebody if not my own kids.  It is just that after all these years family and friends have gotten tired of the fundraisers as well.

I did read an article a few years ago about a school collecting pennies and they had raised thousands of $.  I would be more than willing to help with something like this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
IBTL

Take it to EE!

kidding
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My grandson is 5, and brought one home today to, he said, Nonny, pay attention this is very important to me, I am serious, I need to sell all this stuff so I can get the flying ball, or everything here!!
I hate those fund raisers, the kids try and try, and end up with nothing, unless of course that child is the ONLY child in the neighborhood or family.    
Only one I ever let my kids participate in was a sucker sale in San Diego, and they still got screwed out of the prize.
Go back to soup lables, quit using the kids.  I am sure there are better ways to raise money.
When the parent does everything to get the sales, how does that make the child feel they did anything?  
I send it all back to the school.
Ok, done.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There are probably dozens of kids in your neighborhood that like to hit you up for school fundraisers.  

Man  - I just got shaken down TWICE today by little kids selling wrapping paper and chocolate.

I think of it as a tax I pay for living in my subdivision - along with the annual girl scout tax

Wish I had seen this first
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Me too...Crap comes home like 4 times a year...drives me insane!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:18:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Well the only good news is the prize that my daughter wants only requires about 30 items sold and I've already sold 23 items for her and still have not hit up my own family yet.  I'm sure we can get that one.. Not to mention after so many she'll be eligible to attend a school awarded bonus of going to the indoor water park here, which I think she would really enjoy.

So c'mon guys, help us get her to the water park  Most of the "prizes" the company is giving away is crap.. but there are a couple being given away by the school that are halfway decent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top