Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 4:47:39 AM EDT
We have had problems since early last spring of breakins in cars and garages in our neighborhood. (note all garages are unattached) Yesterday they broke into a house 4 down in the middle of the day. Our thieves are getting braver to break into a house. Now I am slightly on the scared, but definately worried side since I am home alone all day. I guess instead of keeping the Kimber on a high shelf, it needs to stay on my side from now on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Forget the Kimber, load up the AR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
What have the Po-Po said about the situation?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

they had been doing extra patrols in the neighborhood, they were suppose to be at night, but it was always during the day when we seen them. They got several prints from the numerous breakins, but nothing was ever offered to us as far as who they may have belonged to.  Neighbor said he was going to ask for more patrols again, but it is a big city, and they are spread thin. So it is up to the neighbors to unite and try to keep ourselfs safe.  There is a retired man across the street, usually out on his porch most of the night, but he said call him asap if I have problems.  Gonna set the alarm when we gone and even when I am home, I just feel nervous right now.  Especially since we were one of the cars/garages that had been hit, so had the neighbor whos house got it yesterday, makes 3 times for him now this year alone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Get some Security System stickers for the windows and some "This house Protected by S&W".  If you can find some.  In my criminology class one of the aspects of most criminals is they look for easy targets.  They don't want confrontation if they can avoid it.  By letting them know you will shoot first and ask questions later will hopefully keep them at bay.  

Be safe
Derek

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have signs around the house indicating that you have an alarm system?

I would not post a sign saying that you have firearms in the house (thief might wait until you are gone and then decided to break in just to take it).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get some Security System stickers for the windows and some "This house Protected by S&W".  If you can find some.  In my criminology class one of the aspects of most criminals is they look for easy targets.  They don't want confrontation if they can avoid it.  By letting them know you will shoot first and ask questions later will hopefully keep them at bay.  

Be safe
Derek

Semper Fi

got the ADT stickers, the neighbor who was broken into has a different company, but forgot to set his alarm yesterday. I do need to get S&W or nothing in here is worth your life sign.  because your right, they don't want a difficult house.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do you have signs around the house indicating that you have an alarm system?

I would not post a sign saying that you have firearms in the house (thief might wait until you are gone and then decided to break in just to take it).

we have ADT and it is posted, although I am the first to admit I am lax at setting the alarm. It is set now though for at home. Locked and alarmed in my own home. All firearms are locked int he safe, with the exception of what we carry. They wouldn't get any of them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#9]
What does Mr.Gungho say about the situation?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you in Indpls. proper?  If so, what side of town?  I'm in Speedway and am laid-off for a couple of weeks, so if you need anything, give me a call and I'll fly over there asap.  (I'll IM you my home phone.)

Not that you can't take care of yourself, Ma'am; after meeting you at the Indy shoot, I have *NO* doubt that the bad guys would come out on the short end of the stick if they tangle with you It never hurts, though, to know that you've got a friend close by.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#11]
that has to be nerve wracking! You've gotten good advice so I really don't have anything to add, except I hope they find those SOBs soon. I would keep the alarm on for now. What about a big barky dog? In the least they are a good 1st warning system.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Wedge. ~ Mr says "keep the doors locked and keep that damn gun where you can reach it, call me at work if you need to."
GC ~ I got your im, thx so much. I am in Indy, southeast side. Great neighborhood, it's just the outside influences coming in to get us!
DPC & MrsGloftoe ~ we have 3 basset hounds, they are very barky dogs, but only when they want to. During the day they are a good first alarm, but at night they suck.  

I'll be alright, and truthfully I don't expect trouble for a week or so. If they hold true to their pattern of car and garage breakins.  My Kimber is in my waistband, and Mr's H&K is within reach also. I borrowed money so I can pick my A3 up tonight and will go practice with it, I coulda just used one of Mr.s AR's,  but I like the feeling it is my own.  I will be alright, because I am not going to let anything happen to my lil GH!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Where do you live?  Edit - Good luck - I know what it's like to be on high alert at home.

Quoted:

Quoted:

they had been doing extra patrols in the neighborhood, they were suppose to be at night, but it was always during the day when we seen them. They got several prints from the numerous breakins, but nothing was ever offered to us as far as who they may have belonged to.  Neighbor said he was going to ask for more patrols again, but it is a big city, and they are spread thin. So it is up to the neighbors to unite and try to keep ourselfs safe.  There is a retired man across the street, usually out on his porch most of the night, but he said call him asap if I have problems.  Gonna set the alarm when we gone and even when I am home, I just feel nervous right now.  Especially since we were one of the cars/garages that had been hit, so had the neighbor whos house got it yesterday, makes 3 times for him now this year alone.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#15]
The best defense is a good offense.. and you seem to realize that or you wouldn't have made this post.

Be prepared!  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#16]
im not sure what carry laws are like in your neck of the woods but make a show of force.  

go outside for a smoke with a rifle across your chest.  do outdoor chores with a handgun on your hip.  have local arfcommers come over at odd hours and do show and tell in the garage late at night with beer.  you get the idea.

dont let these little fuckstick crapmallets keep you scared in your neighborhood.  form a blockwatch, get your neighbors together for a meeting.  get a laser sight and some pepper spray to demonstrate escalation of force if you have to.

then when youre all done, ask us to delete this thread so as not to indicate any kind of premeditation
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
im not sure what carry laws are like in your neck of the woods but make a show of force.  

go outside for a smoke with a rifle across your chest.  do outdoor chores with a handgun on your hip.  have local arfcommers come over at odd hours and do show and tell in the garage late at night with beer.  you get the idea.

dont let these little fuckstick crapmallets keep you scared in your neighborhood.  form a blockwatch, get your neighbors together for a meeting.  get a laser sight and some pepper spray to demonstrate escalation of force if you have to.

then when youre all done, ask us to delete this thread so as not to indicate any kind of premeditation

we are in Indianapolis. I am pretty sure the laws here for self defense with a gun of self or property is justifiable.  Correct me if I am wrong Indiana folks.
Our neighbors already know the power in this house, and anyone else watching on a Saturday afternoon when we go shooting. As far as weapons on my property, I am almost positive I can carry anywhere on my property, with a permit I can carry anywhere it isn't forbidden by law, and yes I do have a permit. I will be carrying my kimber on hip always from now on, even when mowing, which I need to do this afternoon (damnit!). Some of our neighbors came to our place last night asking for advice on which gun would be right for them. We of course pointed them to shooting classes and such also. This neighborhood will stand together, and we will catch whomever it is. I just pray we all will be safe in the meantime.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Be safe and alert. I know how you feel. When my husband was overseas I lived in a bad neighborhood with my daughter. Alone all the time. It is a terrible feeling. Luckily we all made it out ok and are back home in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Good luck!  I think a neighborhood watch would be a great idea.  You said the neighbors have been stopping by, so ask them what they think and see if you can organize something.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Hello MrsGungho I understand your concern I live in the country were it is me my family and the cows after a rash burglarys in the area i found a sticker that says " If your found here today your body will soon be found after" that seemed to work for now. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Stay safe!

It is a terrible feeling not to feel safe in your own home.  My home was broken into nine years ago and it took a while to get over it.  Do whatever is needed to keep yourself and lilgungho from harm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I am in the alarm business. If you already have a working alarm system, it is a piece of cake to add wireless devices to your garage/outbuildings and/or vehicles.

Plus, you can put X10 switches on outdoor floodlights (especially on garage or remote lights) and control them from inside your home.

Fences and closed gates are always recommended if possible.

I have seen problems like this, it usually indicates someone has the ability to watch the properties, and visit when they are empty.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I hope you stay safe.    You seem to have a good relationship with your neighbors,  Start a crime watch.    Get together with some of your neighbors and walk your dogs up and down your neighborhood at random times throughtout the week and observe anything out of the ordinary.   I say to use your dogs, because dogs seem to be fairly good at reading peoples intentions and emotional states and noticing things that are new.   Please try to go in groups of 2 or more with cell phones and other required safety devices as necessary to stay safe.  I think if the criminals see that there is a large presence of patroling citizens that could notice him then he may move on to a less aware neighborhood.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you have a shotgun? Rack that puppy like you mean it if they come close and they'll take off. If you don't have one, I would highly recommend one like the Rem 870. Inexpensive yet effective, easy to use, and if you do end up using it, it won't much matter if you don't aim perfectly. Center of mass and you will have one unhappy burglar. Rack it again and take care of his partner if need be.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks all for the great advice to the wife, as well as myslef.  I feel we are pretty safe and that MrsG is more than capable of handling 98% of the situations that may arise. The Idea's and talk of a Local watch is great, I missed out on the beginnings of this as I was at work but feel in light of all that has been going on here it would be a good Idea,  I do not think that the situation is severe by any means and some folks here in the neighborhood may be being a bit over dramatic but it is a concern none the less.
 The crimes are mostly petty burglery, and vandalism there is a School that recently opened near by after being closed for several years, I feel that is most likely where our petty criminals are coming from, they pass through the Neighborhood to and from school and have plenty of opportunities for scoping places and vehicles out.
 There have been a few good suggestions on her choice of weapons, all are appreciated but I feel that between her kimber and our H&K94  she pretty much has that covered (plus she is rather proficient with those two weapons)  Tonight I decked out her new toy with, grip, M4, handguards and Tele stock and an  Acog, When funds permit I will mount light and rails to both the M4gery and the H&K94,
 As feel the watch is our best option at discouraging our petty thieves and will work with our neighbors to see if we can get something going along these lines. I know a freind told us a few years ago one was organized here but quikly petered out due to lack of commitment form certain individuals. I hope that now that we have alot of younger families moving into the hood we can get it going this time,
Anyone that has any Ideas or suggestions on how we should go about organizing this would be much appreciated, Niether of us have done this before and although Im sure we could come up with some decent plans any input would benefit us greatly I am sure,
Thanks again for your advice and suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Call your local PD and they should absolutely have Neighborhood Patrol Officers that can come and get you set up with a neighborhood watch, or at least point you in the direction of how to get organized. You may even be able to get a sign for your street and something for in front of your house.  Every little bit of warning helps. They will move elsewhere once they realize people are on to them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Good luck to you and yours.  Sounds like you have gotten a lot of great advice, so hang in there.  Scary situation, but don't let them get to ya, and don't let them make you a prisoner in your own home.  I know that if anyone does decide to choose your home, they will rue the day they met you!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Not realistic; you can't carry the rifle every minute.  The rifle should be loaded and accessible, but the pistol should be worn.  The purpose of the pistol is to fight your way to the rifle.  

My neighbors and I live on the same lot, and we've recently been cased a couple of times.  The last time I pulled into our (rural) lot and saw a strange Suburban parked there, I got out of the truck with the S&W .44 clearly visible on my hip.  They left without delay.

Because of strange cars rolling slowly down the lane lately, I have taken to wearing a visible firearm at all times when working outdoors.  Once I was out working on the car when a lo-rider coasted down the lane.  I gave a friendly wave from the driveway, and they spun tires trying to get away.

There certainly is the theft issue to consider when advertising firearms.  Given the incidents above, however, it seems that the fear factor has been dominant.  We have taken other measures, of course.  The most important is locking the gates to the property.  The fence is low, so it does not provide cover for burglars, but it does make them park their car on the road.  These are both deterring factors.  We also have alarm signs.  It's funny; my very liberal neighbor wants to put a machine gun nest on the roof.  I think there's hope for her.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top