Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 7:13:34 PM EDT
One weekend I drove to Charleston, South Carolina with one of my girlfriend's to do a little bit of bar hopping at the bar's that we were able to get into at the time, we were only 18 and knew the right people. Anyway, we were coming out of one of the bar's downtown and heading to our car to head back to a friend's house that we were staying at for the weekend.

We went around a corner that opened up to a small alley, that was the way to the parking garage where we parked. We were being pretty loud and wobbly i fell over twice and my friend broke one of her heals when i took her down with me the second time. We were prime target's for robbery, rape or even a good beat down if that's how you got your kick's.

As we were getting up I noticed that a man was walking pretty fast towards us. I reached into my purse and got out my mace can and my friend saw what I was doing and drunkingly turned to see what I was aiming my mace at. I saw something reflect off of his jacket, without thinking I lunged forward, if not gracefully, and started to spray mace in his face. He started to scream, and doubled over, I guess he's never been sprayed with mace before.

Anyway my friend, again not so gracefully kicked him in his face and sent him flying backards, she was a hell of a good soccer player in high school. The shiny thing that he was pulling out of his pocket was in fact a gun, I didn't know what it was at the time, but it looked a hell of a lot like a .357, but I was pretty smashed so it might not have been. I was truely suprised that we were able to do so much damage in the state that we were in.

Well after a good beat down, we half ran to my car and drove away to my friend's house. I wasn't really scared while it was happening, but I was a little shaken afterword's.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]

I saw something reflect off of his jacket,

Great, that was a badge, and you mugged a cop!

All kidding aside, it's easy to take action when you decide NOT to be a victim.
Good on you!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Well....  I've never maced anyone... or pulled a gun on anyone...  I did give a guy a bloody lip once, but he was a 17 year old that still had the 4th grade approach to dating (i.e.  if you like a girl, push her...).  I hope I knocked some sense into the poor guy, but I doubt it.  Later, he got played by dated my college roommate.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
its situations like that that make me wish women were smarter about their personal safety.
you girls got VERY LUCKY, i hate to think what could of happened.

things like dont drink yourself crazy, dont walk down dark alleys, dont go to a mans place unless you want "give it up".
heavy drinking and going to a mans place gets  A LOT of women in trouble, but we dont teach women that, like we should.

scary stuff girls, thank God your ok and kicked some ass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#4]
No war stories here.  I don't go bar hopping, I don't drink and I don't go looking for trouble.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank God you had the guts to get yourselves out of a bad situation.  Hopefully you'll have the brains to avoid the bad situation next time.

That sounds worse than I mean.  The tone is intended as consern and not condesending. kwim?  Where's my big hug smiley....here go:   You stay safe lady!!!!!!!!!!  

I don't have a war story, but I do have a strong ass-grab-reflex.    You know, if a stranger grabs your butt and your reflex is to turn around and punch whoever is behind you.  Where do some guys get off thinking this is acceptable behavior?    Anyway, the first time I realized I had this reflex I was in high school.  Some kid smacked my butt and I threw him up against the wall by his throat.  Took me a moment to realize he was just a friend who was trying to be funny.  Ha, ha, real funny....  He never pulled that stunt again.  lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
its situations like that that make me wish women were smarter about their personal safety.

things like dont drink yourself crazy, dont walk down dark alleys, dont go to a mans place unless you want "give it up".
heavy drinking and going to a mans place gets  A LOT of women in trouble, but we dont teach women that, like we should.

I hope you are only referring to what narilka posted.  The story I referred to occurred in a large group of people in front of my college dormitory in the middle of the afternoon, so I don't see how I was putting myself in harm's way.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

We knew how to take care of ourselves or else we wouldn't have even gone to any bar and left by ourselves. I don't think of us as being lucky, I think of that guy as being lucky we didn't put his ass in intensive care. We just hurt him enough to get away and make sure he was on the ground long enough to let us do that. It wasn't a dark alley there were street light's and we saw a security guard after we actually got inside the garage, not that his ass was really looking hard or else he would've seen and heard what was happening.

I would also like to point out that I wouldn't go to a bar at night with just anyone. None of my friend's are dainty and most wouldn't think twice about picking up some blunt object, or very big object, if some guy would do that again. And I also rarely go out drinking, even then when I was really into partying. Yeah it wasn't a very smart thing to do 4 years ago but as I age I get wisdom and now carry an extended baton in my purse, but I’m out of mace at the moment. I also don’t have time to go to bars’ and get drunk, not that I am actually into that anymore. and I don’t do that on a regular basis that was the last time that I did that without a large group because of the many many sick men are in the streets doing things like that.

But most men steer clear of women in packs even if our pack was just 2. And yet again we know how to take care of ourselves, I don't just carry mace around with me for show. And parking just sucks in some part's of Charleston so don't tell me I’m wrong for wanting to go out to these so called "MAN'S PLACES" and don’t know how to take care of myself. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and obviously that guy thought we were easy target’s, but I was raised not to take any shit off of anyone and I don’t. Even if some of the things that I might do are not entirely the right thing but I learn from my mistakes and usually never make the same one again.

Besides I only shared this story, because I think its funny now, having memories of him crying on the ground, begging us to stop. But it was his own fault for trying some brainless move like that because you never know what anyone is capable of. Even a woman.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't have a war story, but I do have a strong ass-grab-reflex.    You know, if a stranger grabs your butt and your reflex is to turn around and punch whoever is behind you.  Where do some guys get off thinking this is acceptable behavior?    Anyway, the first time I realized I had this reflex I was in high school.  Some kid smacked my butt and I threw him up against the wall by his throat.  Took me a moment to realize he was just a friend who was trying to be funny.  Ha, ha, real funny....  He never pulled that stunt again.  lol

I HATE getting my butt smacked more than anything.  If it's just a playful tap by someone I know who's just kidding, that I can tolerate.  But a full-on ass smack recieves a hard punch to the right arm from yours truly.  And I hit like a man.

No war stories here, but I did take a kid by the throat when he was trying to flirt with me through the use of 6th-grade behavior.  He got the message.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Never have gotten in any hand to hand combat stuff or general self defense, luckily.

Tonight I was in the middle of what had been a huge gang fight (it had just ended before we pulled up thankfully)! That was scary enough as there were so many people standing around it was hard to tell who were the bad guys and who were the gawkers I'm sure there will be more war stories to come unfortunately...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I only grab my lady friends asses, no strangers.

My brothers girlfriend broke a guys nose when he jumped her friends boyfriend. Then they got in the car and drove away really fast.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Never have gotten in any hand to hand combat stuff or general self defense, luckily.

Tonight I was in the middle of what had been a huge gang fight (it had just ended before we pulled up thankfully)! That was scary enough as there were so many people standing around it was hard to tell who were the bad guys and who were the gawkers I'm sure there will be more war stories to come unfortunately...

Now I would be scared of that, and not too many thing's frighten me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I HATE getting my butt smacked more than anything.  If it's just a playful tap by someone I know who's just kidding, that I can tolerate.  But a full-on ass smack recieves a hard punch to the right arm from yours truly.  And I hit like a man.

No war stories here, but I did take a kid by the throat when he was trying to flirt with me through the use of 6th-grade behavior.  He got the message.

I don't know I kinda don't mind getting my ass grabbed by some female at the bar. it used to happen at least two or three times whenever I wne to the bar. It's better than some female walking up and grabin yer package, well if she ain't yer girlfriend and yer girlfriend is there to see it and than proceeds to whopp on the other female anyway. Ahh yes that was a fun night

I got a couple war stories but none I feel like shareing right now. Just stopped in to see what was up and say hi.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you are only referring to what narilka posted.  The story I referred to occurred in a large group of people in front of my college dormitory in the middle of the afternoon, so I don't see how I was putting myself in harm's way.  

no it wasnt in response to your post, and obviously i wasnt around to fully know your or Narilka's situation.

mostly i just wanted to comment on how our society should teach women to defend themselves better (and not rely on a man to do that), and apart of that is general street smarts which i feel we dont teach women, even if they have a CCW.

obviously no matter how safe you are or where you are sh*t can and will happen, man or woman, but simple awareness of your surrondings and not allowing yourself to be put in a bad situation can go a long way towards staying safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top