Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 1:28:32 PM EDT
OK, here we go.  My first real post to AR-15.  By the way welcome back, you were missed.  How many of you out there are left handed and right eye dominant or right handed and left hand dominant?  How do you handle this?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I am right handed, left-eye dominant and this did cause me problems in the beginning. A year ago I started putting an opaque dot on the left lense of my shooting glasses just big enough to blank out the target.  It has helped tremendously.  I do this for pistol, shotgun, and rifle. Looks a little funny but it works!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Swan Hunter, so you keep your eye open while shooting?  I normally close my left eye and shot right handed.  Sometimes my eye twiches.  LOL
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
As much as I hate to tell a left hand shooter to shoot right handed. You must. It will help you positions and allow you not to do all the stupid things that left handed people go through to shoot an AR-15 as well or better than a right handed person. No more position rebuilding on every mag change or loading on slow fire. You will have the best of both worlds.

ZENA
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I am left eye dominant and predominantly right handed

I can shoot pistols in either hand equally well, and I shoot left handed rifles better than right, BUT  I shoot all semis right handed usually, I just close my left eye

I had to go to a left hadned Bow though for that sport.

I shoot the semis right handed because well, most were designed that way, mag changes, shooting techniques, even ejection can play a part, I know the brass will not hit me shooting an AR left handed, but there is always that little bit of a twinge, and that can affect my accuracy...

so... shoot right handed if you can handle it, close your left eye, and good luck
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried keeping my left eye closed but as much as I like to shoot my left eye would get real fatigued after awhile and it was hard to keep it closed!  Kept flutteren' at the wrong time!! So with the dot I can keep my eye open, no problem!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top