Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 7:39:05 PM EDT
Been reading Hogg and Weeks' "Military Small Arms of the 20th Century".  Apparently the Germans developed an automatic rifle during WW II that had a curved barrel with mirrored sights for looking around corners.  This was the "Maschinenpistole 44 mit Krummlauf"  The barrel apparently turned the bullet through an angle of 30 degrees.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
If there was a prize for "Most effort and resources wasted for the sake of wasting em" then Nazi Germany would surely win..

Ever see a VG-51, or any of the other "last ditch" weapons? Make  the late war cast iron Arisakas look like a high dollar Sako by comparison..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
If memory serves, the Krummeloff(SP, I have seen it spelled many ways) was actually an attachment for preexisting MP44s.

It used a prism, and you actually fired it using conventional sights, the prism lined them up so it looked conventional.    
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It is not a bad idea - just pretty unorthodox.
I think it was one of those specialty attachments issued in small numbers for a specific purpose - not exactly in the same class as the last ditch weapons.

It sounds pretty good in defensive city fighting, firing short bursts to keep heads down.  A three shot burst is easier to carry than a grenade, won't endanger your buddies on the other side of the wall, and will travel farther than a grenade will.  

It is interesting reading the post-WW2 memiors of soldiers.  One of them described the STG series as freaks for which there was no real purpose.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
What about the Liberator pistol?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I would so love to own a Liberator pistol.

I think they should have taken all the ones they had left over and drop them in the Warsaw Pact countries along with all our other surplus weapons. It just might have changed history.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually see a few Liberator pistols for sale on gunsamerica 8)
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
the VG-51 was mentioned . . . anyone have any more information on this weapon?  this was intended as the volksgewher for the volksturm no?
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
If memory serves me, there was also a curved barrel attachment for the M-3 "grease gun" that allowed it to be shot around corners.  Not sure if it was WW2 or Korean War era.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top