Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2001 8:28:32 PM EDT
Did anyone here actually carry the M-14 in service?
Which stock did you use, and also how bad was the recoil FA?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Had a couple issued to me at different times in about 1966.  I think both had birch stocks.  I never saw a synthetic stock.  I recall once seeing an M-14 with a full wood stock with a pistol grip – I think that version had a heavier barrel and was supposed to be a BAR equivalent.

I never fired one FA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My old man cried one for the USMC in Viet Nam from 64-66, and he always told me that full-auto was useless out of an M14. Semi-auto was the way to go if wanted to make a good clean shot. He always said the M60 was better for full auto, anyway. It's funny how 35 years later he still shoots like it's 1966, an absolutely amazing rifleman, even at 56 years old. The Marines taught him very well!!

Oh yeah, he always has to rub it in, and ask where the selector is on my M1A. He finds the hole in the stock humorous, and reminds me constantly, that it's "not the real thing".
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I qualified with a standard M14 in the Corps in 70.  Also trained with the full auto version before ordered to Nam.

I have a full auto version M14. It's an ass kicker.  The USMC fire team concept had 1 guy in 4 on auto but using M16s it's far more practicle; with M14s it's better for defensive fields of fire.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I was fortunate enough to get to be issued a M-14 in the Marine REserve unit I was in in 1976. We were probably the last ones to even have the things in inventory. >gg<

Recoil isn't much to complain about, IMO. Shooting full-auto & keeping on target takes a bit of practice & I would wrap the sling around my left (forward) hand so as to help to keep the muzzle from climbing. Loads of fun !

FWIW, you can rent & shoot them at the Knob Creek Machine gun shoot in Ft. Knox every April & October.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't exactly have to carry one while in service, but did some familiarization shooting off of the fantail of a tin-can a few times.  Kinda hard hitting a target while on a pitching deck[;)] The armoury aboard ship (77-80)did not have M16s only M14s, IIRC non fiberglass and no selector switches.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a surface warfare officer in the Navy from 1981-87. We had 24 M-14s in our small arms locker and landing force locker. All had hardwood stocks. The ones I saw had selector switches. Full auto was not used.We had 4 M60s and 4 .50 cals for that. They were issued for small boat crews, security alerts(usually intruders), mine sentry, landing force, and for repelling borders. The ole man used to keep one M-14 on the bridge with several loaded mags. He would shoot at shit that he saw in the water(bags of garbage, dead animals etc.) After leaving the Waddell(DDG-24), I went to Long Beach Naval Station. In 1986, we had a Red Cell exercise and stationed armed sailors as guards. I distinctly remember seeing one standing near the water with a M-1 Garand(mixed walnut and birch wood). Also, we used to go to Glorietta Bay July 4th SEAL demonstrations. One squad, set up for land warfare, were all armed with M-14s except the radioman who had a M16 carbine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I never saw one in the service, but I got to shoot one a few years ago, the local Sherrif's Dept. has one.
Full auto wasn't as bad as I expected.
We were shooting a 25yrds.
I would REALLY lean forward, putting all my weight on my left (forward)foot. I'm 6'4'' 220lbs. and it pushed me back.
It was fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The issue weapon at the CITADEL is the M14.

Brownish red synthetic stock with the flip up buttplate.  I was a supply Sgt one year, spent some time in the armory so I saw almost all of them up close.  No selector switches on any of them.

Years later, I fired one FA at a Class 3 deal a friend was putting on, it was pretty fierce from the standing position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top