Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 10:56:36 AM EDT
I suddenly find myself with some reading time on my hands, and would like to learn a thing or two about the U.S. Constitution and constitutional history.

So, could you learned gentlemen recommend a few good texts beyond the Constitution and the Federalist Papers?

Thanks in advance,

CO
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The Antifederalist Papers.

ETA: link
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#2]
These I have not read, but are available in our university library:

The taxing power : a reference guide to the United States Constitution /  Jensen, Erik M. (2005)

Righteous anger at the wicked states : the meaning of the founders’ Constitution /  
Johnson, Calvin H. (2005)

How progressives rewrote the Constitution /  Epstein, Richard A. (2006) <note: pretty obvious slant, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't read it>

The constitution in exile : how the federal government has seized power by rewriting the supreme law of the land / Napolitano, Andrew P. (2006) <note: same as above>

A companion to the United States Constitution and its amendments /  Vile, John R. (2006)
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
These I have read (or, in the case of the latter, portions thereof):

Summaries of leading cases on the Constitution / Paul C. Bartholomew, Joseph F. Menez (1990).

Encyclopedia of the American Constitution / edited by Leonard W. Levy and Kenneth L. Karst (2000).  <note: in six volumes>
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Jake.  I'll look into what's available in the library here in town.  I've become so enamored of cyberspace, I sometimes forget about those big brick buildings full of books. Doh...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
No problem.  The above link I gave you for the Antifed Papers is an excellent [electronic] resource.  Here is the [direct] link to their document library:

PatriotPost.us Document Library

Things like the Code of Hammurabi, Articles of Confederation, Constitution (+BoR), Washington's Farewell Address (which contains one of my Top 10 Favorite Quotes), Davy Crockett's "Not Yours To Give."

I also encourage/entreat you to read all the documents in the final section: "Historic Commentary."

Be you well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top