Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 5:32:47 PM EDT
In 1861, hundreds of thousands of young men joined to preserve the Union.
If today, New England or maybe the Pacific states, withdrew from the United States, would you join up to preserve the Union?
Conversely if your state and others withdrew over Federal 2nd Amendment violations, would you join to defend your state?
I am reading a couple of books about the Civil War, and I don't think volunteers would come in the numbers they did in '61. I believe the Feds would have to draft troops immediately.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I f the NorthEast or West left I'd say good riddance. I certainly would'nt fight it. That would effectively eliminate the reason for a second "War of Northern Aggression".
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be interesting if New England were to try to secede from the States. NH and ME would most likely split into two; there would be Southern NH / Southern ME and Northern NH/ ME. The southern sections of those two states have been imbued by Massh*les and have picked up the attitude and politics of the Peoples’ Republik of Massachusetts. Therefore NE would not withdraw as a whole. As far as Cali is concerned I think it will fall in the Pacific before it tries to withdraw for 2ND Amendment violations.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I would most likely join to defend my state, my 2nd Amendment rights. Most likely I would get drafted anyways since I'm 20.[:\]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Just after my first post I remembered something that I read on Mass firearms list, this just gives you an idea where the state that fired “The shot heard around the world” is going:

Bay State National Guard troops head to Balkans
Boston Herald; Boston, Mass.; Aug 23, 2001; Marie Szaniszlo;
Families and friends began saying goodbye yesterday to more than 200 Bay State National Guard troops scheduled to leave this week on a peacekeeping mission to the Balkans.
A farewell ceremony was held at Apremont Memorial in Westfield for 125 members of the 1st Battalion, 104th Infantry Regiment, and Joint Military Commission.
A similar ceremony will be held today on Lexington Green for 85 members of Company C, 1st Battalion, 181st Infantry of the Massachusetts Army National Guard.
"The average Bosnian suffered a great deal during the war," said Company C commander Capt. Erik Ruhmann, a 31-year-old math teacher who lives in Chelmsford. "Hopefully, we'll be able to help the people there and get our own people home safely."
Ruhmann and his company will be part of an international peacekeeping force patrolling Bosnia, monitoring its military training and consolidating Bosnian arms.
Their departure follows NATO's decision yesterday to deploy 3,500 troops to Macedonia to begin collecting weapons from ethnic Albanian rebels in its latest attempt to bring stability to the Balkans.

Ironic that where men died to maintain their right to bear arms is where a regiment is leaving to disarm other men.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I would fight along side my state if we were ever to succeed.  But I dont think that would ever happen again as a "state" succession... it would mostlikely involve more of a neighbor vs. neighbor situation instead of a North vs. South battle.

You all know how evenly we are split down here in FL hehe
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope California goes and takes Fineswine and Boxer ---- wait, maybe NY could go also and take Chuckie Shumer and Hillary too...no, dream on. John in Texas
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I figure if anything like what originally happened in the War Between the States, I'm heading for Texas.
Texas is begging to become their own country and I think that if they are given half a chance, they'll make it happen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Texas is begging to become their own country and I think that if they are given half a chance, they'll make it happen.
View Quote

Unfortunately, 10 years from now, Texas will be a part of Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Or we'll finish the job and Old Mexico will be known as South Texas ;).
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#10]
poor grimshaw....I like the CSA so.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
If California broke off I'd say Good Riddance. The same goes for NY, MA, CT, RI, NJ, MD, DE, DC, CA (Gun Hating States -- All Over), OH, IL, WI, MO, KS (NO CCW), IA, MN, NM, OR, and WA. Unfortunately the 3 havens VT, Southern NH, and Southern ME are stuck in te middle. I would expect a VT, NH, ME Section that would remain part of the U.S.

IF Florida borke off I'd defend her the same way my ancestors defended Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia during the War of Northern Agression. But first we'd have to get rid of the liberal cesspool in SE Florida.

As for Texas, it was once its own Nation Prior to Annexation. It broke off of Mexico and formed the Republic of Texas which spread from the Mexican broder north to Wyoming and encompassed alot more than current day Texas. I wouldn't be suprised at all if TX broke off and reformed the Republic of Texas. I definitely wouldn't fight against them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Somebody's fantasizing outloud again.[;D]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm.

Terrorists kill 5000 in NYC and a thread like this gets traffic about "breaking away"

cc48510...what's a' matter, you scared, wanna run away...France would probably take you

Seriously, I have been fighting gun control in New Jersey for years, I have no time for this silliness.  I understand that in 1861 the North should have let the South go, but today, you are in the minority, shut up and behave like an American, cover my back.

We can fix our "family" problems once we have put this terrorist thing to bed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I lived and taught school in Texas for years, and for the most part I liked it there.  But I am sick to effing death of hearing about how Texas used to be an independent nation.  Big hairy-nuts deal.  The thirteen original colonies were each independent too.  So was California.  I suspect other present day states were too, but I can't recall off the top of my head.  Moreover, the gang of lovable rogues that established the Republic of Texas never did so with the idea of remaining an independent republic for any great length of time.  They had the not-too-deeply disguised intention of becoming part of the US all along, despite what some modern day Texans would like to believe.
I'm also sick of hearing about Texas not surrendering for several weeks after Appomatox.  That was spawned by poor communications, nothing more.
As I said, I liked Texas and Texans very much.  I often wish I still lived there.  However, there is (and probably always will be) this tiny minority of Texans who live in a fantasy world that has a different history than our own.
 At the present time, those fantasies need to be put aside.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
It was just a thought. Can't you give a poor Yankee a dream once in a while?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if Texas and the Southwest US will ever secede from the rest of the US. Probably prior to returning to Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm with medicjim!  I've got your back covered, man!

Look, the first thing that must be done if you believe in State's Rights, is to have the 17th Amendment declared unconstitutional (which it is).

The second thing is to force the federal government to stick to that which it is authorized to do under the Constitution (provide for the common defense, regulate trade, etc).

Once these things happen, I think the squabbles between the states and the federal government will likely settle themselves out.

Concerning firearms, what the hell gives any State or local government the "right" to strip a man of his Constitutionally affirmed Right to self defense?  Mmmm?  I realize that I'm preaching to the chior here, but wouldn't it seem just a little ridiculous to allow States to ban certain speech, peacable assembly, or prohibiting certain religions?

Hell, if we applied the Second Amendment the way we interpret the First...everyone would be REQUIRED to have a gun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top