Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 9:05:31 AM EDT
When I was a young lad I wasn't very interested in history.  Some of the stories were pretty cool, but history as a whole didn't hook me.  Since then I've come to understand that we are being carried along in this continuum of events we call "history."  In my mid- to late-20s I started to "notice" what was going on around me in the world and how events would take turns that impacted the direction of history.  Things I've witnessed are now in history books (I'm 43).  In addition to individual events, you can see patterns in the historical/political record.  By understanding the nature of these patterns you can see events unfolding and have a pretty good idea where things are headed.

I've been trying to get my daughter to understand this (She's 12).  When I turn on the evening news she rolls her eyes & leaves the room.  I've tried explaining that the things happening in the world today are going to affect the world she lives in as an adult, but like a normal kid she isn't too concerned with that.

So, do you  guys have any ideas about how to spark some interest?  We occasionally go to historical reenactments, such as the Civil War.  Sounds like I need to get creative.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe start her on some history that she might find interesting.  My kids liked the movies "Titanic"  and the "Mummy".  I got them books and showed them websites on the subjects.  My one daughter even set through a whole episode of the history channel where they were talking about the dig site KV5 in Egypt.
The rest will come eventually.  As a kid I couldnt sit through the news either.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, maybe I'm expecting a bit much there.  She has watched "Gettysburg" with me a couple times.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
this may be heresy for someone in SC but maybe show "Glory" and then take her where it really happened.

"1776" and Independence Hall, "Patriot" and local areas, Williamsburg and the period costumes.  Are you close to Savannah?  some of the murder mysteries tieing in to a trip.

Then again it's influence is all around you, here where I am now the only history is the original El Camino Real ran by us and there is a marker wher the first explorer overnighted and thats it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top