Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2002 11:34:31 PM EDT
Any of you ever read this magazine?  Pretty light reading with interesting stories.  Anway the september issue had the last interview that Erich Hartmann (Luftwaffe fighter ace) gave.  Couple of interesting points.  The first time he saw P-51s they were flying in the same area as some Soviet fighters.  Hartmann made a quick pass between them and then said the Americans and Russians started shooting at each other thinking the other one shot at them.  Other point I found interesting was that he surrendered to the Americans but was handed over along with other men, women, and children  to the Russians. He then made the mention that terrible acts were performed on the women which he would not give details, in full view of the Americans. I know that the Americans handed over members of certain units such as soldiers of SS-Totenkopf but I have never heard stories such as I just mentioned. Have any of you?
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I am corresponding with a girl whose adoptive dad just happened to be a pilot in the Luftwaffe!

He was a "Vokar-Wolf" pilot in the west - don't know the unit.  It would be interesting to know if he had a professional relationship with my B-17 pilot Grandpa.

He was shot down in 1944(?) along with two other FW-190's, only survivor.  He thanks his lucky star that he was not captured by the French.  He was busted up bad enough to be transferred to civil aviation in Norway.  

It turns out that he and the other two guys were listening to American music on their radios and did not hear warnings/orders!  Never heard a story like that one before.    
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
It turns out that he and the other two guys were listening to American music on their radios and did not hear warnings/orders!

What orders are you (he) referring to?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top