Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2002 1:39:09 PM EDT
This might sound like a stupid question, but I am arguing with a coworker about what is allowable on preban rifles. He say that a preban rifle configured with a fixed stock before the 94 ban, cannot have a collapsible stock put on it.  I have spoken with a class 3 dealer here in town, and a class 2 dealer who specializes in ar's, and they have both said yes you.  I say you can please advise.

eagle1911
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If the rifle is a grandfathered pre-ban, and has been maintained in that status properly since 9/13/94, then you can legally put any preban features on it you like, regardless of what it actually had on or before 9/13/94.

There are certain rifles (like various configurations of Mini-14) which are exempted by name and model from the 94 AW ban - those that are allowed to have certain pre-ban features even on post-ban guns, provided that it's identical to a factory model sold on some date named in the AW ban - for THOSE post-ban guns which are allowed pre-ban features, they're only allowed to be kept in factory trim, or have to comply with the AW ban.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks circuits, I just needed verification from another source. I figured the two dealers would be enough, but it is not. One dealer is one he said would tell me I could not do it. It is a losing battle with him. When I build ars, or buy pre bans to configure to what I want, I make sure to check the laws and see what they say, as well as consult with the gunsmith I have work on my guns. Since they have contract with several government agencies, I think they would not want to jeopardize their licenses. Anyway thanks again.

Eagle1911
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Too bad no one has to check the laws when buying a car for all of its evil features.  

1. Too heavy and will kill more people in a crash

2. Too fast same thing

3. Too powerful...

4. Too much displacement = too much pollution = bad lungs

5. The list goes on and on.  

Don't worry, I think most anyone should have what ever car they wish as long as they can drive it safely.  I think the libs need to look at the real threats to our every day lives.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Chida66
Yeah, i agree, but the law is the law, as stupid as it is, its there. Hopefully, someday it may be changed.

Eagle1911
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The question would be, was the rifle in question assembled in a banned configuration BEFORE '94?  If it wasn't (just a receiver, no evil features, etc...) it was not grandfathered and it would be illegal to modify it now.  

This isn't a very likely possibility, and even if it was, the burden of proof still lies in the prosecution (for now.)
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, to all who have responded to this question. I have settled this argument with my co worker and he has admitted that you can make the configuration so long as the rifle was complete before the ban went into effect.

Eagle1911
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top