Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2002 2:19:33 AM EDT
I had a postban AR15. If I removed the pistol grip could I install a pre-ban configured upper and a telescoping stock? Or was the pistol grip an "evil feature" and could only be traded for 1 other feature? It made me curious, it would be such a simple opperation to remove the grip and install a telescoping stock, and vice versa. I would think with a RIS forward grip, the gun would still be usable and fun.

Any good AR15 thumbhole stocks out there?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a different user name.  The question suggests amateur status.

You are allowed one evil feature and conventional thumbhole stocks are still considered to have the evil pistol grip feature.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the friendly reply. You see, not everyone here knows everything about the AR15. Some actually come here "seeking" information, Wouldnt you agree?

And I wasnt asking if thumbhole stocks were an evil feature, I asked if there were any good ones out there. Your reply didnt answer anything, and suggests a lack in grey matter. Keep trying, you'll get better.

And if you only knew why I call myself The Professional...
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
IF your gun is semi-automatic and uses a detachable magazine...Then, it can have 1 of the following:

1) Pistol Grip. A Thumbhole is considered a Pistol Grip.
2) Folding/Collapsing Stock
3) Flash Suppressor. A Silencer counts as a Flash Suppressor also.
4) Threaded Barrel. The law says threaded for a FS, but the ATF believes that you can have a custom FS Made, so all threadings are illegal.
5) Grenade Launcher. A Flash Suppressor is also considered a Grenade Launcher and counts as 2 Parts.
6) Bayonet Lug.

BTW, removing the Pistol Grip is not as easy as it looks. The Pistol Grip holds in the Selector Detent and Spring. If it is removed, the Selector will not have any stops. Basically, it will freely move whenever you use the gun and may well come out. If you do not care about having a safety, then you would also want to remove the Selector so that it doesn't turn to the safe position or fall out while firing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Well it evidently has nothing to do with AR15-type rifles, the law or knowledge of the Internet and accessing information.

By calling yourself "TheProfessional" on a firearms board, you establish a level of expectation that is difficult to satisfy.  I’m a certified professional in at least eight disciplines and qualify as an expert in a few others.  I call myself “Dave.”
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Pro, quite a few of us are "certified"...in more ways than one, and a bunch of us are experts at one hell of a variety of hard-earned skills. I think your question is legit and something a good gunsmith/industrial designer might look into. I also thank cc48510. Once again, I learned something new. And BTW Dave_G, were you just itchin' for a flame or did you not eat your quota of amateurs today? Come on man, you're normally way more cool than that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wonder what the ATF would say about 2 pistol grips?  I'm not going to ask.... [:D]
View Quote

I think this was already addressed-- a front pistol grip extended from the front handguards.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
By calling yourself "TheProfessional" on a firearms board, you establish a level of expectation that is difficult to satisfy.  I’m a certified professional in at least eight disciplines and qualify as an expert in a few others.  I call myself “Dave.”
View Quote

Or he could just be a fan of a movie starring Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, and Natalie Portman.

You crack me up--it's almost like you troll threads looking for people seeking information, just so you can insult them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm...Must have been a bad day.  That and I did kinda like that movie...No apologies from here.  He flamed a legitimate suggestion, even if it was a bit lacking in tact catagory.

And Zak.  Those weren't insults.  Real insults leave you bloody, bruised and cryin' for your momma...[;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top