Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:50:06 AM EDT
I was wondering, if, while cleaning out on old house, barn or something, You came across a Thompson  Full auto machine gun of other such firearm. Could you legally register it and keep it if you pass all the class 3 stuff. It would have been  made before all the bans, when Americans had rights that are no longer valid. This has not happened to me,( BATF guys, please don’t smash my door in, THIS DID NOT HAPPEN, hypothetical situation) but I have always wondered about it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd have never found it.

But seriously, the answer is NO. You can't register any more MGs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
the ATF actually adresses something about this on their web site.  The title is something like "I found a machine gun in grandpa's foot locker after he died"
Source at ATF's website: http://www.atf.gov/press/breakingnews/fy01/bn_aug0999b.htm

If it happens you start looking for the registration paperwork and if you are lucky you find it, in that case you can form 5 it to yourself tax free.

If you can't find any paperwork, you have an attorney contact the ATF with make model serial number etc... to find out if it on the Registery, if it is and registered to a dead relative you can form 5 it to yourself tax free.

those are just some of the things that can happen.

However if you find one regardless of what year it was made 1915 to 1986, if it was not already in the ATF registery, it must be disposed of.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If you do find something like this and get to the point you can't keep it, don't destroy the whole gun. Strip every part you can from the receiver with the serial number and destroy the serial number. The parts can be worth a great deal of money by themselves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top