Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 10:25:23 PM EDT
When does a weapon become a weapon? Say I want to have the parts to build a weapon I may need someday (just spose) and I all ready have my Post ban for fun and legality. I do not think the world will end soon but if there is ever a problem I would like to have a new weapon with a flash supressor.

1.) I can own a pre ban barrel assembly with flash hider bayonet lug, bolt, etc etc with no problem as long as it is not assembled to a post ban lower? Do I have to be the owner of a legal pre-ban lower to own a preban upper?

2.) Do I have to own a preban lower receiver to own a telesoping stock? Can it be attached to the lower if a upper receiver is not attached? If the upper is not attached it is missing the bayonet lug and flash suppresor????

I would like to own a brand new full tilt preban upper, an extra new post ban (much cheaper) lower along with a telescoping stock  but when does an assault weapon actualy become a weapon?
[0:)]
[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
This is just my opinion, having the parts you want under the same roof as your "Post-ban" equipment would not be advisable. You are dredfully close to voilating web-site rules here w/ your question as we are not here to inform folk how to break the law. My best advice falls under the view of: [b]DADT = Don'tAskDon'tTell[/b].

Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Unlike a machine gun, I don't think that an assault weapon is born until the parts are matched. However, having said that, I see no reason to have a spare pre ban upper lying around. It can only lead to trouble.

In your post, you ask if you can put a telescoping stock on a post ban lower if no upper is attached. The answer is NO. If you do, that configuration alone is an assault weapon.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Straight from the "evil" letter ruling from the BATF:
A frame or receiver of a semiautomatic assault weapon, meets the definition of a "firearm" in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(3); however, a firearm frame or receiver alone, without the additional qualifying features, does not meet the definition of a "semiautomatic assault weapon" in section 921(a)(30). Therefore, a firearm frame or receiver does not meet the exemption in section 922(v)(2).

We have also determined that a semiautomatic assault weapon in knockdown (unassembled) condition consisting of a receiver and all parts needed to assemble a complete semiautomatic assault weapon are subject to regulation if the parts are segregated or packaged together and held by a person as the parts for the assembly of a particular firearm.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello all, I was just going to ask a similiar question, except my situation is slightly different. I own a legally possessed Colt AR15 preban rifle that I am considering ordering a preban M4 upper for as an upgrade. I also own a postban AR15, as well as a couple postban lower receivers with internal parts, but no stocks attached. Would I be in "trouble" for having a preban upper no attached to anything, with those post ban receivers, even though I do already own preban lowers? Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep the postbans well separate from the complete preban upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top